PDA

View Full Version : The future of Honda in Australia

yfin
28-07-2007, 10:50 AM
The August 2007 "Wheels Magazine" has an article about Honda's agressive plan for Australia with quotes from Honda Australia senior director, Lindsay Smaller.

Here are the key points from the article:
back in 2002 Honda sold just 23,587 cars in Australia.
4 years later that figure has risen to 54,202, an increase of over 130%. So far in 2007, the brand is up 19% and is on track to crack 60,000 sales by years end.
Honda Japan wants to see Australia be the number one 'tier two' non-manufacturer in Australia by 2010 with a target of 80,000 cars. By 2015 they want 100,000 sales
If Australia can reach 100,000 sales it will be viable to establish the premium Acura brand here.
The NSX replacement will not be coming to Australia. The gap between the Legend and the estimated $250k for the NSX is too great.
There are expected to be an increase in Honda dealerships in Australia - from 96 to 124 over the next 4 years
Honda's agressive plan is to roll out 14 new or replacement models over the next 4 years. This will include diesels and the latest VTEC versions.

r`Geno
28-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Honda's agressive plan is to roll out 14 new or replacement models over the next 4 years. This will include diesels and the latest VTEC versions.[/LIST]

Including FD2 :cool:

sitta
28-07-2007, 11:09 AM
FD2, and varieties of civic hatch from uk including diesel model. if the fd2 does come i will regret my purchase of the fn2 :( lol

yfin
28-07-2007, 10:03 PM
My prediction is next gen euro with option of i-vtec K23 turbo and sh-awd. You just wait and see!

I don't believe Honda would go to all the effort and R&D of an i-vtec turbo without using the motor in more than one vehicle (2007 Acura RDX).
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/512/620IMG_21.jpg

aaronng
28-07-2007, 10:45 PM
My prediction is next gen euro with option of i-vtec K23 turbo and sh-awd. You just wait and see!

I don't believe Honda would go to all the effort and R&D of an i-vtec turbo without using the motor in more than one vehicle (2007 Acura RDX).
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/512/620IMG_21.jpg

The engine is not too good though...

tseesinngwailo
28-07-2007, 11:31 PM
No NSX replacement? that sucks, even though i would never afford one without ebaying my daughter, would still be nice to see some getting around..

blk_shadow
29-07-2007, 10:18 AM
The engine is not too good though...

aren't they've planned to scrap this engine? from the latest honda tuning magazine?

yfin
29-07-2007, 10:45 AM
aren't they've planned to scrap this engine? from the latest honda tuning magazine?

I read they were "thinking" about it because of poor sales in the US for the RDX.

I think this engine could be good for the Euro - especially if they can up to power to MPS levels. The RDX is the first we have seen this engine- who knows what is it capable of. Have a look at these performance figures (eg 6.8 to 60mph and 15.2 over the 400m and that is auto). Not bad for a SUV weighing 1800kg. If Honda can put that package in a more compact sedan weighing under 1600kg that would work well. Throw in a manual and you are looking at low 14s out of the box.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=116773/pageId=102048

jeffske
29-07-2007, 11:47 AM
sounds like a dim future for true honda fans

skinnyboy
29-07-2007, 03:04 PM

amen to that.

Best to keep on modifying the early 90's cars forever i fear

aaronng
29-07-2007, 03:15 PM

Very few true Honda fans bought an NSX new. :)

Honda Australia is going the right way now, with the Euro, UK CTR and now possibly the JDM CTR.

panda[cRx]
29-07-2007, 03:28 PM
we'll never see anything like the great 90's cars again, whether it be honda, nissa or toyota. cars have moved on with the times (safety/environmental standards etc)

CTR Coupe
30-07-2007, 12:34 PM
The NSX replacement will not be coming to Australia. The gap between the Legend and the estimated $250k for the NSX is too great.

This is actually a good thing. It means its now ellegable for SEVS import. Since an Australian delivered car would have kept a high resale value. It will be more affordable to own one second hand.

[SDCTVE]
30-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Ok... Whats A Fn2 N Fd2??

blk_shadow
30-07-2007, 04:28 PM
;1275232']Ok... Whats A Fn2 N Fd2??

FN2 is the Uk's civic type r, the one we have here. fd2 is the jap spec one, currently exclusive to japanese market.

Malenic1981
30-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I want JDM CTR that's all:-)

Shorty
30-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Honda made a mistake, I feel, in manufacturing so many of their best selling cars in Thailand. From what I'm hearing, quality is going down hill and that can be seen when comparing the first of the Jazz's (Jap made) to the new ones built in Thailand. Hopefully they can fix these quality issues...I'd hate for people to be thinking, 10 years down the track, that Honda was a good car manufacturer

aaronng
30-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Honda made a mistake, I feel, in manufacturing so many of their best selling cars in Thailand. From what I'm hearing, quality is going down hill and that can be seen when comparing the first of the Jazz's (Jap made) to the new ones built in Thailand. Hopefully they can fix these quality issues...I'd hate for people to be thinking, 10 years down the track, that Honda was a good car manufacturer

The Thai-built Accord seems to be ok. It's good that Honda can provide such a range of features at a cheaper price (Civic VTI)

hip
31-07-2007, 07:43 AM
You guys bust me up, this is like reading the same US forums only instead of Honda of America manufacturing junk, it's Thailand.

BTW, I've driven the Acura RDX and while the style, ergo and driving dynamics are all good... I don't care for the Turbo. Call me old school but Honda's best engine designs have mostly been based on extracting the most from the least and doing so with normal aspiration.

Also FWIW, the RDX gets miserable fuel mileage (17mpg city / 22 Hwy/ 22 Combined) so offering a 4 cylinder turbo in something that weighs between 3924 - 3935 lbs makes no sense to me. Your Australian Odyssey is much nicer ride IMO and Honda is making a big mistake by not exporting it to the US!

I've never understood the allure of the "rubber-banding" effect using a turbo. Every turbo car I've ever driven feels like someone just switched on the after burners when you hit a certain RPM. Maybe it's all those video games, but kicked in the ass, switched on turbo charging is fun for a thrill but sure gets old day to day.

Somehow it just doesn't feel right, I still believe you get better control with a linear progression of power.

BTW, while all the US domestic manufacturers just announced offering diesel engines here by 2009, including Honda, only Ford has said they will not. They're alternate solution - twin turbos. :thumbdwn:

UNLS1
31-07-2007, 04:23 PM
i highly doubt we will ever get the acura brand here.
It just wont work, esp when u have legend ect and we used to have MDX.
We already have tge Euro/TSX

no point at all getting acura name in our market.

blk_shadow
31-07-2007, 11:47 PM
in my opinion, Acura works best in US as a prestige Honda cars, cos its been that way since a long time,
but in Aust, its like another brand, and it will create more confusion as in manufacturing, importing, converting from LHD to RHD and so on and so forth.
besides, the Honda brand here is already pretty big and well known.

aaronng
01-08-2007, 01:13 AM
in my opinion, Acura works best in US as a prestige Honda cars, cos its been that way since a long time,
but in Aust, its like another brand, and it will create more confusion as in manufacturing, importing, converting from LHD to RHD and so on and so forth.
besides, the Honda brand here is already pretty big and well known.

The reason for the Acura brand was to rival BMW, Audi and VW. In Australia, even if the Honda name is well known, they can only hope to rival the other Japanese car makers such as Toyota, Subaru and Mazda. They can't touch Lexus, BMW and Audi as shown by the 40% markup that these luxury brands are commanding (and still getting good sales with it).

For now, Honda Australia is focusing on getting more sales numbers to build themselves up. They are not yet at the level of Mazda and Toyota, but they should eventually be just as competitive. So when the time comes for Honda Australia to decide to go after the luxury brands, then they might build up an Acura brand name here (to distance themselves from the regular Hondas).

ShAwNeX
01-08-2007, 09:37 AM
The sports cars of the 90's will always be legendary, whether it be Honda or any other of the Jap brands. The current market seems to be a lot more income orientated for the companies compared to the 90's. The car companies produce cars to solely make money, rather than for passion and technological advancements (like the NSX back in its days). I place some of this blame on Toyota and its cheap cars, as this leaves no room for the other brands to produce cars like the NSX as they do not bring in enough sales and thus money for the company, which makes them less competitive in the market in the long run.

And in regards to previous posts about turbocharged Hondas. I do admit that this is a far stretch from the traditional Hondas, but you do have to admit that when your watching touge's with Keiichi Tsuchiya behind the wheels of a Honda and his racing against some turbocharged Nissan (with someone who's not as good of a driver), you get tired of seeing him catch up and dominate on the corners and then have all of that hard work ruined back on the straight's.

So I have always said to my friends that I can't wait until the day when a turbocharged Honda is released (AND THEY WOULD USUALLY LAUGH AT ME AND SAY "THAT'S NEVER GONNA HAPPEN" LOL...).

Dxs
02-08-2007, 03:49 PM
This is actually a good thing. It means its now ellegable for SEVS import. Since an Australian delivered car would have kept a high resale value. It will be more affordable to own one second hand.

you beat me to it.. my thoughts exactly

duvet
02-08-2007, 07:47 PM
aggressive plans fd2 huh? somehow i dont think so =( malaysia's just gotten the OK for fd2 tho... all we need is 90kaud and somewhere to store it for 1 year.... :P

http://www.honda.com.my/models/typer_hybrid/index.html
excuse the hybrid being on the same page... but i din design it xD

VT3C
16-08-2007, 09:34 PM
For now, Honda Australia is focusing on getting more sales numbers to build themselves up. .. So when the time comes for Honda Australia to decide to go after the luxury brands, then they might build up an Acura brand name here (to distance themselves from the regular Hondas).

you're on the money there.. Honda Australia is planning to introduce Acura prob around 2012 as the sales targets and market prominence rise as stated in this thread.. Honda is taking a very aggressive approach to their marketing strategy and the models they will be bringing in to the country and as you said when their sales are up etc they will move the premium models up a notch to distance them from the bread-n-butter Hondas..

now working at a dealership myself, I personally believe there needs to be a few more 'segments' represented in the honda stable..

a (cheaper) 3-door entry-level car smaller than the Fit (jazz), a more serious off-roader (RDX spec but not so premium), some utilitarian models (vans etc), the stream (FTW!!!) should be there a step under the oddysey.. etc.. ohh and the Ridgeline I'm sure would draw a lot of attention to the marque..
we're seeing customers turn away because there simply is nothing on offer from Honda (Australia) in these segments.

2002 TeGgY
18-08-2007, 12:14 PM
the only thing that sucks about the NSX not being sold here is that when the Nissan GTR arrives, honda wont hant have a competitor in its line up...

aaronng
19-08-2007, 01:44 PM
now working at a dealership myself, I personally believe there needs to be a few more 'segments' represented in the honda stable..

a (cheaper) 3-door entry-level car smaller than the Fit (jazz), a more serious off-roader (RDX spec but not so premium), some utilitarian models (vans etc), the stream (FTW!!!) should be there a step under the oddysey.. etc.. ohh and the Ridgeline I'm sure would draw a lot of attention to the marque..
we're seeing customers turn away because there simply is nothing on offer from Honda (Australia) in these segments.
You work at a Honda dealership? Do you have any feedback lines back to Honda Australia? Tell them, it is cheap of them to advertise the Legend only after 1am during the call in gameshows. They should advertise it during primetime, like what they did with the Euro.

aaronng
19-08-2007, 01:46 PM
the only thing that sucks about the NSX not being sold here is that when the Nissan GTR arrives, honda wont hant have a competitor in its line up...
The NSX will be too expensive though. I think it is a $300-400k car, unlike the new GTR, which should be between $100-200k.

2002 TeGgY
19-08-2007, 07:12 PM
shett $300-400k for an nsx?? thats screwed, no matter what its gonna be a honda, and trust me i love my hondas but i don't think it'll be better than cars at that end of the spectrum...

StrawberryFace
26-08-2007, 06:59 PM
shett $300-400k for an nsx?? thats screwed, no matter what its gonna be a honda, and trust me i love my hondas but i don't think it'll be better than cars at that end of the spectrum...

lol agreed. i could just imagine the depreciation on one of those things.

blk_shadow
27-08-2007, 10:29 PM
NSX about $3-400K? are you sure? I checked last time was about $200k

dunno if its the new type R NSX. my dream car tho. doesn't matter how much it will depreciate, as Mr Ichisima said "you can't put a price on a dream" :p

IAMVTEC
02-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Honda needs better looking cars, period. Right now I see their range and can narrow it down to family sedan, family hatchback or family people mover.

They dont look ugly for what they are, but still the designs dont draw any emotion out of me. They just look boring.

The Civic type R is the exception but after all it is a hatchback. I think most people would agree they dont like driving around in a girly hatch.

Vinnie
02-09-2007, 02:50 PM
NSX about $3-400K? are you sure? I checked last time was about $200k

dunno if its the new type R NSX. my dream car tho. doesn't matter how much it will depreciate, as Mr Ichisima said "you can't put a price on a dream" :p

well he did, its $200k, and nearly all of us cant afford it :p

i thought it was gonna end up around 150k anyway but in any case i hope it doesent suffer from the same fate of the old one and actually gets enough power to compete with others with a similar price tag this time :)

aaronng
02-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Is the new NSX AU$200k? Wow, that is good considering how expensive the previous one was. :thumbsup:

DreadAngel
02-09-2007, 11:07 PM
The NA2 is about 200Kish, but the replacement whatever would probably be more :p

VT3C, I'm not sure how successful it will be for Honda Australia to bring in Stream and Ridgeline :( I don't think you can get any cheaper than the Honda Fit (Jazz), its about as small and as cheap (For a Honda in any case) as you can get.

2002 TeGgY
02-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Honda needs better looking cars, period. Right now I see their range and can narrow it down to family sedan, family hatchback or family people mover.

They dont look ugly for what they are, but still the designs dont draw any emotion out of me. They just look boring.

The Civic type R is the exception but after all it is a hatchback. I think most people would agree they dont like driving around in a girly hatch.

my DC5R is a hatch, do u reckon that its "girly"? your a diked mate...

aaronng
02-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Oooh, so the $200k price was for the previous NSX. I thought they meant the V10. :)

blk_shadow
03-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Oooh, so the $200k price was for the previous NSX. I thought they meant the V10. :)

yep. :)

IAMVTEC
03-09-2007, 10:42 AM
my DC5R is a hatch, do u reckon that its "girly"? your a diked mate...

Integra is a coupe shaped car that happens to have a hatch style opening for convenience, which I think is the best combination cause you get style and practicality.

Youre a fool, look at the proportions at the DC2 and tell me how that is even remotely like a typical hatchback these days. Integra is Hondas sports coupe series.

DreadAngel
03-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Bahahaha V10 one going to kill lots of things, including your pocket and your wallet :p

Btw what is the new GT-R going to be priced at?

blk_shadow
05-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Bahahaha V10 one going to kill lots of things, including your pocket and your wallet :p

Btw what is the new GT-R going to be priced at?

around 100-200K...

2002 TeGgY
05-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Integra is a coupe shaped car that happens to have a hatch style opening for convenience, which I think is the best combination cause you get style and practicality.

Youre a fool, look at the proportions at the DC2 and tell me how that is even remotely like a typical hatchback these days. Integra is Hondas sports coupe series.

alright man :thumbsup: ur a sikunt

DreadAngel
05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
around 100-200K...

Poah! Is that the GT-R with the 4WD or Rear Wheel drive? lol

d15z1SUX
06-09-2007, 12:15 AM
its 4wd

d15z1SUX
06-09-2007, 12:18 AM
i hope the new nsx looks completely different to the stoopid advanced sports car concept. that really sucked big time!!!!!!!!!! everyone hated it too at the tokyo car show.

DreadAngel
06-09-2007, 04:09 PM
its 4wd

There is the entry level with RWD apparently, the V-Spec is the full 4WD ATTESA, etc

JasonGilholme
06-09-2007, 04:28 PM
the mid 90s were like group-b of the domestic car market. lol