PDA

View Full Version : Fan (?) Belt on a D16 EK Civic..

steve88
28-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey guys, my fan belt (i think it is anyway) making an annoying sound. I just wanna replace the belt making the noise.

Now I know there's fan belt, what else? accessory? alternator?

Anyways; is it easy too do? and if so is there a DIY cause I couldn't find any on ozhonda did a good search (kept getting timing belt DIY's)

Killa From Manila
28-07-2007, 11:27 AM
does it make a screech sound like the belt is loose?
could be alternator, power steering or aircon. try tightening the tension on the belts

steve88
29-07-2007, 02:23 AM
how would you do that? ive never touched anything around the belts before

it makes kinda like a screetch sound, its most audible when idle ie. at lights, its very cyclical kind of noise

blk_shadow
29-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Hey guys, my fan belt (i think it is anyway) making an annoying sound. I just wanna replace the belt making the noise.

Now I know there's fan belt, what else? accessory? alternator?

there is power steering, water pump, alternator and a/c belt, some of them I believe linked together ie. alternator with power steering etc.

that noise can also be from one of the pulley or the iddler pulley. or as killa from manilla said, the belt tensioner

steve88
30-07-2007, 12:47 PM
but its such a narrow cavity, i cant imagine pulling that belt off and putting on a new one (assuming my belt is busted), its just so narrow!

destrukshn
30-07-2007, 12:49 PM
where abouts are you located?

blk_shadow
30-07-2007, 03:19 PM
sometimes you need to remove couple of bits to access the belt.
get a mechanic to do it for you.

steve88
30-07-2007, 05:41 PM
im in lugarno which is like near peakhurst/mortdale/hurstville

id prefer too figure it out on my own, i guess i better get the 10mm socket and ratched out and figure it out then :(

G3RA1D
30-07-2007, 06:32 PM
have u checked the power steerin fluid.? maybe it's just a bit low.?

my engine bay was making a weird sound, thought it was the belts too - turned out i was low on power steering fluid.

steve88
30-07-2007, 11:48 PM
nah power steering fluid is fine, today its wierd at the lights no noise. so its obvious the belt is probably worn in some places and its not a pump or anything

jdm_kid
31-07-2007, 07:02 AM
same thing happens to me. sometimes it makes a noise sometimes it doesnt do it for a couple of weeks. it was the power steering pump. he said it needs to be re-calibrated?

if it is a belt problem, you would hear it constantly when u turn on the car and go for a drive. check by lookin at the belts and see if they are worn out. oh btw new belts are $14 each.

bennjamin
31-07-2007, 09:39 AM
either alternator belt or PS belt slipping - needs to be re-torqued (be re tightened) probably ( fixed my problem)

steve88
01-08-2007, 08:48 AM
alright ill probably try retightening them. you guys just gave me the idea that these belts have a mechanism that gradually loosens the belt so you can pop it out...

here i was thinking all along its gonna be like trying too put a small rubber band between two big unmoveable nails lol

the funny thing is, the noise being on and off. when it was on, it would make noise the moment car started, and on the D16 engine bay when i opend the bonet i could tell noise coming from right hand side (where belts are).

im hoping the noise starts again that way I can narrow down the problem once i get the belts , if they all fail ill probably start looking at the pumps.

are all the belts in like the same general position?

bennjamin
01-08-2007, 11:19 AM
are all the belts in like the same general position?

All the belts should have the same " freeplay" IE the amount you can twist the belt either way , or push it down.

Both the Alternator , Power steering and air conditioning all have adjustable guides to hold them in position ( also to allow installation etc) so if they loosen up you will get belt screeching etc

destrukshn
01-08-2007, 11:20 AM
or even tooooooooo tight, they will squeel.

bennjamin
01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
or even tooooooooo tight, they will squeel.

yup yup it works both ways :)

Try using a stick of dry lube ( yellow stick from super cheap auto etc) or graphite powder on each belt , ONE at a time on the inside track. ( this will eliminate the "squeel")

you can find the problem belt and work from there.

destrukshn
01-08-2007, 11:24 AM
yes, but it's quite easy to quick tension them all, once you figure it out.

steve88
12-09-2007, 12:21 PM
old thread, but im gonna try this today. how do you guys get access to the belts? did you take off the quarter and some plastic shield that seems to be in the way?