PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Shakes While Braking :(

mmmsxc
29-07-2007, 04:00 AM
hi guys. today when i was braking at high speeds for some reason i was getting vibration on the steering wheel. it was the first time it had happened. previously i had a BA XR6 and it had the same problem and ford told me it was from the brake shutters. is this the case on the euro? has the same thing happened to any members?

BiLL|z0r
29-07-2007, 06:49 AM
It's the brake pads leaving deposits on the rotors OR warped rotors.

I haven't heard of an 06 with the pad issue so could be the rotors. Search the Euro section as it was a very common issue. I ended up having my pads and rotors changed under wty at the 40K service recently as it occured a second time (pads replaced and machined rotors at 30K).

tony1234
29-07-2007, 09:01 AM
It's the brake pads leaving deposits on the rotors OR warped rotors.

I haven't heard of an 06 with the pad issue so could be the rotors. Search the Euro section as it was a very common issue. I ended up having my pads and rotors changed under wty at the 40K service recently as it occured a second time (pads replaced and machined rotors at 30K).
As above,but i think it is most likely deposits on the rotors.change OEM pads to a good aftermarket one such as Endless and i'm sure the problem will go away.If it doesn't you'll have to get your rotors machined or worst case replaced.

blk05gli
30-07-2007, 07:48 AM
i had to replace pads as well as machine rotors. it is a common problem for pre 06 euros.

dupac->
30-07-2007, 08:08 AM
it's the rotor and pads.
replace/machine them and they'll be fine.

tron07
30-07-2007, 08:57 AM
If its warp rotors, you probably get judders from the brake pedals, like ABS kick in... maybe its ABS kicking in....

However vibration from steering, maybe you can do a on-wheel balancing on the front wheels and a alignment job.

|N|
30-07-2007, 08:58 AM
it's the rotor and pads.
replace/machine them and they'll be fine.

yea i think just need machining on the disc..

destrukshn
30-07-2007, 09:11 AM
depends if the disc is alreayd too thin.
or way too warped.

mmmsxc
30-07-2007, 09:43 AM
the car is only on 17 000 kms. would it be a warranty issue?

destrukshn
30-07-2007, 10:07 AM
yes.
it is a warranty issue.
though the 06euro's shouldn't get that problem, it should of been rectified already, the early model ones, had a common problem like that.
how they fixed it, is, machine discs and new softer compound pads.

mmmsxc
30-07-2007, 10:08 AM
i shall call them up now and speak to them. thanks for your help and time.

EuroDude
30-07-2007, 10:10 AM
My 06's brakes are fine, perhaps you slammed on the brakes too hard and warped the rotors. Or if you often spray cold water on the hot rotors at a Car Wash place, you can warp the rotors that way.

Or perhaps you just need to balance+align the wheels.

mmmsxc
30-07-2007, 10:13 AM
when i take car the to get washed i always do my interior first and then wash the outside. so by the time i wash it the rotors would cool down. im not a heavy braker, and every now and then i do go hard on the brakes. would it be because of that?

destrukshn
30-07-2007, 10:20 AM
sometimes it just happens, even with normal driving.

EuroDude
30-07-2007, 10:22 AM
If you often push on the brake pedal fast then yes it can affect the rotors.
Always brake gradually so the rotors wear out evenly.

Omotesando
30-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I have a major problem with this but to be honest I have had this problem with most cars I've driven. Usually happens only when you brake from above 100kph to me.

I know my rotors aren't overly warped because if I did multiple high speed braking to get rid of the brake deposits on the rotor disc, the problem rectifies itself a bit. If the rotors are very warped I do not believe it could be fixed like this.

2nd problem is with the brake deposit problem, in emergency braking it makes it harder to brake. Not safe.

tony1234
31-07-2007, 07:25 AM
I have a major problem with this but to be honest I have had this problem with most cars I've driven. Usually happens only when you brake from above 100kph to me.

I know my rotors aren't overly warped because if I did multiple high speed braking to get rid of the brake deposits on the rotor disc, the problem rectifies itself a bit. If the rotors are very warped I do not believe it could be fixed like this.

2nd problem is with the brake deposit problem, in emergency braking it makes it harder to brake. Not safe.
Change your OEM pads to a good aftermarket pad like Endless and i'm sure your problems will go away.It sounds like you've got deposits on your rotors.

mmmsxc
31-07-2007, 02:55 PM
the car would be going to honda to get checked and then i will go on from there.

destrukshn
31-07-2007, 03:55 PM

not even my 94 civic does that.
vibrations like so through brakes, on a newish car, is not normal.

EuroDude
31-07-2007, 06:34 PM
^ same here, my EG Civic never had a brake/rotor problem, even after some hard braking, stones stuck scraping the rotor, and spraying cold water on the hot rotors.

I guess some models are more prone to rotor warping than others. The Euro is 400kg heavier than the EG civic after all, and the brake pads are probably environment friendly or something lolz

mmmsxc
31-07-2007, 07:37 PM
lol. dont know. but it is concerning as the car is only on 17 000 kms :(

destrukshn
01-08-2007, 01:38 PM
yes it is concerning.
but it was a common problem on the older ones, easy to rectify.
like they said.
they usually machine the discs down for you, and supply new pads, whcih are a softer compound.
and the problem shouldn't come back.
but if it does, i'm quite sure they will replace the discs.

petsfact
01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
yes it is concerning.
but it was a common problem on the older ones, easy to rectify.
like they said.
they usually machine the discs down for you, and supply new pads, whcih are a softer compound.
and the problem shouldn't come back.
but if it does, i'm quite sure they will replace the discs.

damn right i just got a new set of front discs and pads claimed under warranty today. Been driving with shuddering brake for the past 35000kms even with updated 06 pads, it comes back after a while or 2 car wash. And they finally realized there is no meat left for machining....... hooray!!!! :D

fleeball
02-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi All

I just recently bought a 03 Euro Lux and its has brake shudder. I was looking at after market rotors and pads. Do you guys have any recommendations for which product I should be looking at?

LXRY
02-08-2007, 07:55 PM
lol. dont know. but it is concerning as the car is only on 17 000 kms :(

WARRANTY ;)

tony1234
02-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi All

I just recently bought a 03 Euro Lux and its has brake shudder. I was looking at after market rotors and pads. Do you guys have any recommendations for which product I should be looking at?
Try replacing the pads 1st.and see how you go.I think you'll find that'll fix your problem.Endless or Hawk ceramics are good ones to get.One of the traders has a special on Endless,Max-hondapower,try him.BTW welcome :wave:

fleeball
03-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks Tony1234. The pads are new. Not sure which brand or type they are as they came with the car when I purchased it. But having about read the brake issues with this car on these forums, looks like I have 2 options, either machine the rotors and replace the existing pads or go after market rotors and new pads. I'm looking at the second option. Just wanted to get an idea of which rotors others have used and recommend.

tony1234
03-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks Tony1234. The pads are new. Not sure which brand or type they are as they came with the car when I purchased it. But having about read the brake issues with this car on these forums, looks like I have 2 options, either machine the rotors and replace the existing pads or go after market rotors and new pads. I'm looking at the second option. Just wanted to get an idea of which rotors others have used and recommend.
DBA are good.I've always heard positive things about them.One of the traders Mu secret performance have Project Mu pads and rotors.I've heard good things about these as well but haven't used either so can't comment.Ask some of the other guys here and see how you go.

fleeball
03-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks.