PDA

View Full Version : High end catback vs. Low end catback?

patto
29-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Im about to purchase a new catback and headers for my Em1 and I've come to a fork in the road about which direction I should take. I have 2 options.

1. Decent quality headers i.e 5zigen or DC with a decent catback i.e Buddyclub.

2. Decent quality headers i.e 5zigen or DC or maybe something even better with a cheaper catback such as xforce.

The reason why I am considering getting a cheaper exhaust is that my car tends to scrape on large speed humps and I couldnt bare scraping a $900 exhaust. Will I notice much of a difference with the more expensive exhaust? Or should I primarily focus on getting good headers? Does scraping on speed humps really do that much damage to the exhaust or am i overreacting? Any information and experiences would be great

supersamEK
29-07-2007, 10:32 AM
will notice a much a nicer and more controlled sound from a high-end catback.
ie. Relatively quiet cruiser but will scream on high-cam.

czy_sol87
29-07-2007, 02:07 PM
u wont notice much difference mate
its more of a sound difference, cause those systems use different materials and mufflers etc in their exhaust systems
this is something i dont understand, its just a cat back, u dont gain much from them anyway but ppl are willing to fork out almost $1k for it, where as a custom made one from the local exhaust shop will cost u half that, sometimes less, and will do the same thing
unless u've got an unlimited amount of $$$ and ur doin a hardcore build i dont see the point forkin out that much money for a catback thats gonna gain u 5-10kw

just get a decent set of headers(as above DC sports, 5zigen, toda, spoon etc), and decent hi flow cat(catco, metal cat, etc) imo

Encor3
29-07-2007, 07:02 PM
u wont notice much difference mate
its more of a sound difference, cause those systems use different materials and mufflers etc in their exhaust systems
this is something i dont understand, its just a cat back, u dont gain much from them anyway but ppl are willing to fork out almost $1k for it, where as a custom made one from the local exhaust shop will cost u half that, sometimes less, and will do the same thing
unless u've got an unlimited amount of $$$ and ur doin a hardcore build i dont see the point forkin out that much money for a catback thats gonna gain u 5-10kw

just get a decent set of headers(as above DC sports, 5zigen, toda, spoon etc), and decent hi flow cat(catco, metal cat, etc) imo

Good advice.
I did my own research aswell, found that a custom madrel bend catback from any exhaust shop would probably do exactly the same thing as an exspensive one such as vision\spoon etc. Headers and cat is much more important than the cat back\midpipe.

hondavti25
29-07-2007, 08:38 PM
i wish i had of spent the money on a better quality cat... due to the fact that mine drowns sounds cool during the day but at night it seems louder and really ricey.... might get an exforce one as well

EG5
29-07-2007, 10:48 PM
i wish i had of spent the money on a better quality cat... due to the fact that mine drowns sounds cool during the day but at night it seems louder and really ricey.... might get an exforce one as well

never knows cat converter can make different exhaust tone day and night :confused:

czy_sol87
29-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Good advice.
I did my own research aswell, found that a custom madrel bend catback from any exhaust shop would probably do exactly the same thing as an exspensive one such as vision\spoon etc. Headers and cat is much more important than the cat back\midpipe.

rep points *cough cough*
hahaha:p

Encor3
29-07-2007, 11:11 PM
rep points *cough cough*
hahaha:p

yea yea it was coming alrite just wanting to see wat other stuff you had to say :thumbsup:;)

czy_sol87
29-07-2007, 11:16 PM
hahaha thats bout it
other than using 2.5" piping for the catback if u've got a VTEC
thats what i've read around anyway, any bigger is too big, and any smaller is a little restrictive
some places wont do 2.5" for u though, cause they think all 1.6L engines need heaps of back pressure, so usually suggest 2", and are even sceptical bout 2.25"
i had to tell the guys at the exhaust shop that i had a turbo kit and it was goin in next week:p

Encor3
29-07-2007, 11:30 PM
hahaha thats bout it
other than using 2.5" piping for the catback if u've got a VTEC
thats what i've read around anyway, any bigger is too big, and any smaller is a little restrictive
some places wont do 2.5" for u though, cause they think all 1.6L engines need heaps of back pressure, so usually suggest 2", and are even sceptical bout 2.25"
i had to tell the guys at the exhaust shop that i had a turbo kit and it was goin in next week:p

yea, i've oredered toda headers + catco cat converter getting a custom 2.5 inch mandrel bent midpipe that will be finished off with a twinloop muffler. so back pressure is no issue with the twinloop. And yea 2.5 is more than enough for N\A b series engine. turbo 3inch + but any bigger for N\A wouldn't be beneficial

e240
29-07-2007, 11:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TREAdRk27RA

B16A, Toda Headers, Hi Flow Cat + 2.5" Mandrel Stainless catback (1 resonator + 1 N1 Muffler - XForce) built by Hakan from Performance exhaust in Nth Parramatta

dsp26
30-07-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48826&highlight=exhaust+size