PDA

View Full Version : Just the beginning

ICE
19-07-2004, 02:55 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the scene so i'll probably be asking a lot of basic questions. Still trying to figure out some technical terms like what's a cat-back? is that the same as a catalytic converter?
Got myself my first car. 97 civic coupe. I think its a VTI [acronym:270b2ce2c2="Single Overhead Cam"]SOHC[/acronym:270b2ce2c2] D16 from the model info description.
What does a muffler do? Does it affect horsepower? or just makes noise?

geo41e
19-07-2004, 08:53 AM
catback is the piping just after the headeers, which leads the the catalytic conv...resonator..then out just before the muffler....
size in dia of this cat back is vital..too big loose low end..too small loose top end.. muffler reduces the sound..reduces sound by reducing the flow..(i think..correct me here guyz) and yes..if u do change ur muffler...u will gain a tadd bit

hope that helps

*Moderator note: the cat back is not from the headers back, it is from teh Catalytic converter back

Kit
19-07-2004, 12:02 PM
No, cat back is exactly what it means, its the exhaust system backwards of the Catalytic converter.

wynode
19-07-2004, 12:39 PM
In some cases it COULD include changing the catalytic convertor too.

What does a muffler do
A muffler essentially affects what your car's exhaust system will 'sound' like. Various styles and types of muflers have different sounds. As to performance, it all depends on the muffler design and whether it is a straight through design or whether it has a few 'bends' in the piping that goes through the muffler.

ICE
19-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks.
Does a catalytic converter reduce power output? is it legal to be without one?
So if I wanted to modify my exhaust system, what are all the parts involved?

wynode
19-07-2004, 11:31 PM
I suggest you do a search ICE.

It is ILLEGAL to not have a catalytic convertor. If you are found out, you will be hit had with a hefty fine!