PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioning an alternator

b4dnuf
02-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Hey PPL I want to know wats a reasonable price to get an alternator reconditioned and where in Bris would i be able to get someone to do it.
i tried googling it but came up with zilch..

dsp26
02-08-2007, 04:57 PM
~$60 for core swap

panda[cRx]
02-08-2007, 05:29 PM
don't bother with google. look in the yellow pages for local auto electrician.
can't remember how much it usualyl is but it isnt much. you'll save some money if you can take it out yourself

b4dnuf
03-08-2007, 09:11 AM
so any auto electrician would be able to do it. ?

cristian
03-08-2007, 11:58 AM
any mechanic should be able to swap an alternator for you...so long as u have the part...they simply unplug, unbolt, unbelt(???)...then put the new one in place...

dont get ur existing alternator reconditioned coz its a waste of time...most honda parts places (eg. honbits) have alternators lying around that already have a working regulator...u just give them ur old alternator + $50 - $60...

anything more and they'd be trying to rip u off i rekon...

b4dnuf
03-08-2007, 04:19 PM
I already know how to replace the alternator but thanks for the advise.
I rang Honda to find out how much a new one would cost. here is what they emailed me back.
"if you wish to continue with genuine then I would need to have the correct vin number, genuine would be approximately $2016.00 as you could guess not many new alternators are sold because they usually are reconditioned."

So i guess recon is the way to go unless i want a new car at least a half cut heck i could buy a new engine with that much.