PDA

View Full Version : anyone managed to get their brake squeal fixed under warranty?

Entity
03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
i've had to live with this annoying brake squeal by closing all my windows and playing the music loud for the last few months and i'm frankly sick of it

for those who are lucky enough not to experience it, this is the problem of braking lightly and hearing a high pitch squeal all the way to stop. this problem does not occur if you brake hard.

i've brought it to my dealership and they can't find the problem, claiming it was my fault for "babying" the brakes. the pads/disks have apparently glazed over and i will need to brake hard to fix it.

so i do, and it still comes back, this is obviously a problem with the stock brakepad/disk combo but there are no dealerships which i know of that will replace or fix it under warranty

has anyone else had this problem and had better luck?

EuroDude
03-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Perhaps the pads just need antisqueal compound? The squeal is usually caused by the pads vibrating in their housings.

Basically you just need to remove the wheels and take out the pads, and apply antisqueal to the metal->metal contact areas, i.e. in the corner notches of the pads, and the round section where the piston pushes the pad.

You can do this yourself in an hour or so, its not hard.

Otherwise it could just be a stray stone stuck in the brake shielding, touching the rotor.

tron07
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
06 euro, brake squell in the cold, told the SC at the 10k service and they fixed it.

Probably they took the pads out, sand it down and apply some grease or something on it.

johnprocter
03-08-2007, 05:40 PM
yeah my 2003 has it bad.. wtf can i do..

aaronng
03-08-2007, 05:43 PM
No, it's the pad's fault. They can give you NEW pads and NEW rotors. And it'll still squeal after a few thousand Ks.

Mine had bad squealing. I changed the pads, didn't do anything to the rotors and there was no more squealing.

The sound comes from the compound rubbing against the disc, so anti-squeal won't do much.

LXRY
03-08-2007, 05:46 PM
i've had to live with this annoying brake squeal by closing all my windows and playing the music loud for the last few months and i'm frankly sick of it

for those who are lucky enough not to experience it, this is the problem of braking lightly and hearing a high pitch squeal all the way to stop. this problem does not occur if you brake hard.

i've brought it to my dealership and they can't find the problem, claiming it was my fault for "babying" the brakes. the pads/disks have apparently glazed over and i will need to brake hard to fix it.

so i do, and it still comes back, this is obviously a problem with the stock brakepad/disk combo but there are no dealerships which i know of that will replace or fix it under warranty

has anyone else had this problem and had better luck?

No problems with mine.....i know what you are going through, I had to turn up the stereo cause of my sunroof rattle....unfortunately doesn't work anymore cause when I turn up the stereo now my power window switches vibrate.....:thumbdwn:

aaronng
03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
No problems with mine.....i know what you are going through, I had to turn up the stereo cause of my sunroof rattle....unfortunately doesn't work anymore cause when I turn up the stereo now my power window switches vibrate.....:thumbdwn:

Yeah, the speakers vibrate in their pods... :thumbdwn:
You'll have to tape up your switches like the passenger side, and then take out the speakers and add dynamat around the pod to make it more firm.

I get very bad buzzing from the rear speakers when listening to AM stations.

tony1234
04-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah, the speakers vibrate in their pods... :thumbdwn:
You'll have to tape up your switches like the passenger side, and then take out the speakers and add dynamat around the pod to make it more firm.

I get very bad buzzing from the rear speakers when listening to AM stations.
LOL.AM stations are only good for listening to the football!!!

aaronng
04-08-2007, 12:34 PM
LOL.AM stations are only good for listening to the football!!!

2GB is pretty fun to listen to. Especially when driving down to Melb. When I totally lose reception, then I know that I have really left Sydney. :(

Entity
05-08-2007, 02:42 AM
i do have the spray.. but i dont wanna **** around with the brakes too much coz i dont know what i'm doing

when i took it to service i gave them the can but they said they wont touch it.. probably liability issues with using a product they dont manufacture or source themselves

aaronng
05-08-2007, 03:53 AM
What spray?????? Anti-squeal doesn't come in a spray can.

killua888
05-08-2007, 05:53 AM
yeah my 2003 has it bad.. wtf can i do..

yeah, my 03 has it real bad too. but it has its days, some days u can hardly hear it, some days it just doesn't shut up....

everytime we've taken it to service they give me a new reason as to why the brakes give that annoying sound but they can never seem to fix it.

KruZzN
05-08-2007, 07:24 AM
use to happen to me all the time, its stopped when i got new brake pads... but then came back so i upgraded to some good stuff. grab a set of brembo or something mate! it'll cure any sqeaks. all the "de-squeak" and sprays arnt worth it! just grab a set of ggood quality brake pads.

r-r-redEuro
05-08-2007, 08:58 AM
just yesterday late at night, when driving spiritedly with my cousin my brakes were squealing loudly.
my cousin said its because they were hot,
but when i moved it made a loud squeaking noise and when i reversed it i heard a click noise and it was all gone. anyone know what happened?

johnprocter
05-08-2007, 09:45 AM
dont turn on your car its gonna explode

tron07
06-08-2007, 09:05 AM
The fuse for the bomb activited?

mleung
14-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I got mine fixed under warranty at Eastwood Honda. They sanded down the disk and installed new pads.

pxrnm
15-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I got mine fixed under warranty at Eastwood Honda. They sanded down the disk and installed new pads.

How did you actually ask them to fix it under warranty?? I called Eastern Honda (melbourne) earlier and they said if its not because of faulty parts, and just because of small particles (dust) because of daily use which means it just need to be clean out or replaced it won't be covered by warranty and falls under service and maintenance bla bla bla etc..... -> must pay!!!

Is this true?:( if not can you guys tell me any dealer (in melbourne) who would accept this service under warranty??

Thanks for any help!!! :wave:

avid
15-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Fixing squealing brakes is no big deal if the pads and rotors are not glazed from overheating.A lot of dealerships do the following procedure to alleviate the problem.
Usually it is a build up of pad dust so blow out your caliphers with compressed air,or hose them out if you havnt got air. Preferably though remove pads and backing plates and buff them up nice and smooth.Then get some anti squeal compound and apply to back of pads and both sides of anti rattle plates.
If you are really desperate, cut an X (hacksaw blade width)in the pad face about 2-3mm deep.(A little drastic to all you perfectionists out there i know, but it works)
If you arn't into competition grade pads try and get a hold of Asbestos compound pads from repco (dont know if they are still available now but i last put a set in my wifes Accord about a year ago to stop the squealing)of the car that is ,not my wife.These pads are by their nature a softer compound and dont glaze up the rotors as much.But as we all know they are not supposed to be fitted anymore to Aus cars for health reasons.

petsfact
17-08-2007, 12:40 AM
why not under warranty, iv'e got mine claim under warranty 2 set of brand new front pads and 1 set of new front rotors. + free labour because that's all about warranty eh !?

pxrnm
22-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Just got back from Eastern Honda, they said since it doesn't stutter when braking, it was not caused by the pads - cut the story short they glaze the disk brake (thinning them - I guessed) with machine for all of them and slap me for $143 (incl GST)

Hoo well... I can't seem to justify why people would extend their warranty.... when at the (crucial) time it matters it's useless anyway.... better buy good insurance.

EuroDude
22-08-2007, 03:26 PM
just yesterday late at night, when driving spiritedly with my cousin my brakes were squealing loudly.
my cousin said its because they were hot,
but when i moved it made a loud squeaking noise and when i reversed it i heard a click noise and it was all gone. anyone know what happened?

Most likely there was a stone stuck in the caliper/rotor shield thing.

It happened to my Civic a few times, it can get dislodged if you go in reverse, otherwise you need to remove it physically, or wait for it to wear down.

It hasnt happened to my euro yet though, i guess there is more clearance between the shield and rotor