PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky seat syndrome....

LXRY
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
My drivers seat very squeeky, seems to be getting worse.

Anyone else have this problem ?

Last time i complained of this problem they (dealership) supposidely oiled the seat, but has come back with a vengance now.

Only drivers side seat not passenger side....might have something to do with lumbar support.

aaronng
03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Yup, it's the lumbar support. I have it too. Once in a while, it goes "TWANG" when I get into the car. LOL. I didn't let the dealers fix it because they would probably end up scratching my interior just to get the seat out.

EuroDude
03-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Just pop the rear cover and spray some lithium grease onto the metallic jointed areas. Pull the sides out and the top should pop out with enough force, then lift the bottom part up and out

I actually disconnected the whole lumber assembly lol, it was arching my back too much and found it uncomfortable.
The side padding now give more support, like a recaro seat would (but not quite as good off course)

LXRY
03-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Just pop the rear cover and spray some lithium grease onto the metallic jointed areas. Pull the sides out and the top should pop out with enough force, then list the bottom part up and out

I actually disconnected the whole lumber assembly lol, it was arching my back too much and found it uncomfortable.
The side padding now give more support, like a recaro seat would (but not quite as good off course)

You the man ;)

Thanks alot, much appreciated :thumbsup:

aaronng
03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Just pop the rear cover and spray some lithium grease onto the metallic jointed areas. Pull the sides out and the top should pop out with enough force, then lift the bottom part up and out

Nice! I'll do the same tomorrow!

tron07
06-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Can you guys post some photo of removing the back??

Pumped
06-08-2007, 09:31 AM
:( my cars got the squeek to
i'll have to try the method suggested :)

power_of_dreams
23-04-2009, 01:45 PM
bump this one up.

I got the same issue. Took the back off and sprayed the shit out of everything but still squeaking. I think it is a spring inside the actual seat rather than the lumbar support assembly. Anybody else got any quick fixes?

BE.10.WU
23-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Take it to a motor trimmer.

When i worked as a trimmer we did alot of work for car dealerships (including Honda) and squeaks are generally a result of the foam rubbing on the metal frame, broken frame with two bits of metal rubbing together or its a matter of just oiling everything.

But a motor trimmer will be able to fix it correctly if the above fix doesn't work for you.

unity
23-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I have this problem too but can't be bothered fixing it. For those that have the squeak I'm just wondering if it's a weight related issue. I weigh right on 100kgs. Is there any one out there that weights 60-70 kgs that also has the squeak?

power_of_dreams
23-04-2009, 05:28 PM
^^
I weigh ~65kg

to add insult to injury I can't even get the cover back on... :(

Min988
23-04-2009, 05:31 PM
i dont know what squeak you guys are getting (69kgs)

power_of_dreams
23-04-2009, 05:52 PM
omg.
service manual says
"Replace the back panel clips as new ones."

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5633/54451357.jpg

The clip I am referring two are those 2 ones down the bottom where its got the triangles
How am I even supposed to get the old ones out?
Anybody know what I am talking about?

power_of_dreams
23-04-2009, 06:08 PM
one of the clips partially broke when I removed the backing. Is this to say you are supposed to buy new clips everytime you remove the backing?

ffs, worst design ever

unity
23-04-2009, 06:29 PM
one of the clips partially broke when I removed the backing. Is this to say you are supposed to buy new clips everytime you remove the backing?

ffs, worst design ever

Sounds like it. If you know your dealer well they might just give you a couple for free. Last time I went to my dealer he gave me a free bulb for the inside cabin light and even changed it for me too.

I'm glad the squeaking seat issue is not weight related. I was thinking that I may have broken something as I drag my big frame in and out of the car.

power_of_dreams
23-04-2009, 06:43 PM
nothing is free from the dealership!
I once got quoted $7 for a single airbox screw.

Only one is partially broken and I'm pretty sure it can still be reused, but even if you are supposed to get new ones, how do you get the old ones out?

aaronng
23-04-2009, 06:46 PM
They sell these clips at repco in the clip section. Take the old one to repco.

Min988
23-04-2009, 06:53 PM
hey, my passenger side seat warmer doesnt warm the "back" (as in body part back "damn english") part of the seat, while the drivers side warms my butt and my back, before i rip the cover off the seat i want to find out if it is suppost to?

kimnkk
23-04-2009, 07:45 PM
hey, my passenger side seat warmer doesnt warm the "back" (as in body part back "damn english") part of the seat, while the drivers side warms my butt and my back, before i rip the cover off the seat i want to find out if it is suppost to?

Nah its not supposed to. Apparently its because of the airbag detectors but it beats me why they can't make it smaller or in another position as other car manufacturers seem to be able to.

unity
23-04-2009, 07:53 PM
nothing is free from the dealership!
I once got quoted $7 for a single airbox screw.

Only one is partially broken and I'm pretty sure it can still be reused, but even if you are supposed to get new ones, how do you get the old ones out?

Well I was charged nothing. And at the same time I even had my window tracks sprayed with silicone to lubricate them. I would have paid if I was aked too pay. This was all done by the service manager himself as goodwill.

felixd
23-04-2009, 08:33 PM
i had this problem when the car was brand new told the dealer to change thw whole new seats :D

SPQR
23-04-2009, 09:20 PM
^^
I weigh ~65kg

to add insult to injury I can't even get the cover back on... :(

i dont know what squeak you guys are getting (69kgs)

Struth! There's not much of you pip-squeaks (lol!). Mine doesn't squeak and I weigh a sizeable fraction of a tonne!

BE.10.WU
23-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Most cars that have this separate plastic panels have one-time only clips.

Commodores are the worst for it!

power_of_dreams
23-04-2009, 10:36 PM
anybody know the best way to get the old ones out? bash them into small peices with hammer? :)

I don't really understand the idea behind it.
So when you pull off the back cover, the clips are supposed to break?
Then you replace them to reinstall it?

BE.10.WU
24-04-2009, 12:51 PM
power of dreams.

Yes thats correct. Once you pull the clips out they are designed to break to be released and then you have to replace them..

I do not know why this is the case, perhaps to deter people from pulling things apart. I really don't know why they do it.

power_of_dreams
24-04-2009, 03:16 PM
thanks for the info.

thing is, only one of mine (partially) broke!

BE.10.WU
24-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Yea. With the commodore clips we figured out how to get them off without breaking them too but it required the seat being out of the car so you could get in under it with a large flat head screw driver and push the clips in certain spots to remove them without breaking them. Same deal with these ones.

Can be quite a game of luck.

The X Man
24-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I had a squeak in the drivers seat. After 3 times trying to fix it Honda ended up replacing the entire leather seat.

aiball
25-04-2009, 11:57 AM
my seat squeaks like crazy everytime you move your left leg to clutch... had it "oiled" up by honda and a week later the noise is now its back :/ they scratched up the interior as well ffs.....

power_of_dreams
25-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I had a squeak in the drivers seat. After 3 times trying to fix it Honda ended up replacing the entire leather seat.

I've had it to them once and they passed it off as something they couldn't fix under warranty. Their excuse was something like, "it only happens at some particular adjustments of the lumbar support". At that point in time, I thought it was pretty obvious they didn't want to fork out for a new seat.

my seat squeaks like crazy everytime you move your left leg to clutch... had it "oiled" up by honda and a week later the noise is now its back :/ they scratched up the interior as well ffs.....

Yeah I had it using the clutch as well, basically it happens whenever your back is pressed into the seat. I've heard of scratched up interiors from removing seats as well. :thumbdwn:

BE.10.WU
25-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Pulling seats out isn't an easy thing to do. Especially the seats these days with 20kg of motors attached to them..

We have had to repair alot of brand new car interiors from dealerships because they have tried to take the seat out and have scratched everything in the process.

Its not hard to pull off the sill panels and door trims and then lay towels/blankets down.

power_of_dreams
26-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I can't get the bloody things out, can anybody tell me exactly what I should do?
Here are some pics..

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1619/67159776.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2694/11455449.jpg

BE.10.WU
26-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Ahh they are easy to get out. Get a pair of side cutters. Softly squeeze the side cutters (so that you don't cut the top off the clip) around the middle of the clip at its narrowest point. Then lever the side cutters up so that the clip is then forced down and it will then pop out. If there isn't much room to move then by rocking the side cutters with force the clip out also.

Hope this helps you. Just so you know these clips can be purchased from any auto parts store aswell so if you do stuff them don't stress too much.

power_of_dreams
26-04-2009, 03:10 PM
tried to do that, but the clip broke.

I ended up just mangling the shit out of it to get it out, but now I have nothing to take to repco to compare!

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7650/clipesp.jpg

it pretty muched looked like this.
I think the way to remove it properly was to push where the arrows are and then push the clip outwards (to the right hand side on my ghetto picture). But because it is a tight space, you need pliers to apply force to the pushy bits and you can't really see what you are doing, it makes it very difficult.

Is this a generic part found in alot of cars? If so how common is this part and if I went into repco, would they know what I am talking about if I described it here?

j.meng87
26-04-2009, 04:51 PM
tell them your looking for interior trim clips, they should know what it is.

power_of_dreams
26-04-2009, 06:28 PM
cheers

would you happen to know if I can also get the bumper/fender clips from repco. you know the ones where you put a flathead screwdriver under and pry them up? I think there are 2 or 3 versions each of differing length..

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/930/clips.jpg

power_of_dreams
27-04-2009, 02:05 PM
just for future reference, I went to repco but didn't know exactly what I was looking for. I saw something similiar that I think was called "TF38". I cannot confirm if they are a match.

I ended up going to Honda spares, where they charged me $2.55 a clip

tony1234
27-04-2009, 04:09 PM
just for future reference, I went to repco but didn't know exactly what I was looking for. I saw something similiar that I think was called "TF38". I cannot confirm if they are a match.

I ended up going to Honda spares, where they charged me $2.55 a clip
What a pain in the ass.I hope i don't get the squeaky seat.

power_of_dreams
27-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I hope you don't either. You arn't really left with any real good options when it hits. You can either try to fix it yourself (my squeak is still there, but less noticeable) or let them replace the seat and risk scratching up the interior (that is if they agree to cover it under warranty, they brushed off my claim once already).

Again for my own (and anybody elses future reference) the honda part number for the clip is 91566-SP0-003

I also asked about the bumper clips at the dealership, they said $5 per clip, I said f that.

tony1234
27-04-2009, 04:46 PM
I hope you don't either. You arn't really left with any real good options when it hits. You can either try to fix it yourself (my squeak is still there, but less noticeable) or let them replace the seat and risk scratching up the interior (that is if they agree to cover it under warranty, they brushed off my claim once already).

Again for my own (and anybody elses future reference) the honda part number for the clip is 91566-SP0-003

I also asked about the bumper clips at the dealership, they said $5 per clip, I said f that.
$5 per clip,what a rip:thumbsup:What year is your Euro?

power_of_dreams
27-04-2009, 05:03 PM
06, but the same ones would have been used in the 05 right?

aaronng
27-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Go to a wrecker and get the clips. I gave Hondwreck in Melb a gold coin for a can of coke in exchange for a handful of bumper clips.

power_of_dreams
27-04-2009, 08:37 PM
interesting, I might just try that

just searching around and stumbled across this on ebay US:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Page-Auto-Supply__honda?_sid=139372972&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14&_pgn=1

I found the clip I was looking for on there, and even with shipping it worked out to be 50cents cheaper per a unit.
Good backup plan for anybody interested

bbell
29-04-2009, 11:37 AM
l only weigh 60kg and my drivers seat has a slight squeak as well but only when in

terryansimon
01-05-2009, 12:04 PM
ah man I'm not the most inclined with DIY and my seat is squeaking like mad.

I had to put the lumbar support down ("disabled" it) so that it doesn't squeak, but now it feels strange. I like having my back supported.

crap. is there any chance a dealer will just pull the back panel out to oil it? or does the whole damn seat need to be removed for that to even happen?

power_of_dreams
01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
they will try to lube it first if you take it to them.