PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Respray

Deano_EK
05-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Soon down the track, im looking at getting some parts resprayed on the car.

-The mouldings that look shitting cause the guy that owned the car before me tried to do them himself and stuffed it up:o as well as the side skirts, the bumpers are a bit scratch and paint isnt great so im getting some new ones without the mouldings, rear number plate holder, and roof.

-Now im just wondering cause theres a few scratches here and there on the car, if i should i just get a complete exterior respray in the same colour? i got a quote for the things above and most places wanted $2300-$3000 and idea wat a complete exterior spray is going to cost me?

Sorry for the noob post.

gheybo
05-08-2007, 07:20 PM
How deep are the scratches? if they are just light ones, why don't you just get it professional buffed out for about $150-$200 and you could save heaps of money.

SeverAMV
05-08-2007, 08:52 PM
$2300-3000 is pretty cheap for a complete exterior respray. most places quoted me about $5000 for an ED6. take into account the fact that they have to sand down to bare metal for a respray, and the amount of hours they have to put into it, and $2300-3000 is about right.

it'd be a whole lot cheaper if you only had the damaged parts resprayed.

Rivic
05-08-2007, 09:52 PM
rubbed down to bare metal? i don't think ud find many places are gonna do your car like that... as for cost is it for a whole respray or just closed doors?

AsH_
05-08-2007, 09:56 PM
doesnt a respray devalue the car?

Rivic
05-08-2007, 10:36 PM
lol more like increase it if its a good job the cars gonna look better.. and if in better condition higher sale value :)

Zilli
05-08-2007, 10:59 PM
spoken like a true modifier

Any "normal" buyer will ask questions as to why you had to respray the car... and question why they should pay a premium for a car that has a shiney new spray job....

there really isnt much you can d to a car that will increase its value, UNLESS you are lukcy enough to bump into an enthusiast who really wants your car... from previous experience... modifying a car is not an investment exercise, if you think you can sell a car valued at 5k market, for 10k because youve spent 10k on it your dreaming

tiksie
06-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Exactly, more you modify the more harder its going to be to sell anyway as people aren't in the market for modified cars as much as they used to be, everyone wants a starting point for themselves to having something standard, then again, if you want something worked, its better to go and buy one thats worked rather then do it yourself to get that "I done it myself feeling" because at the end of the day, someones loss is your gain.

If a sprayer didn't put my car back down to bare metal, I wouldn't want them to spray it.

Spraying alot of cars myself in my 3 years at tafe in automotive panel and pain you would be surprised how many dents and body damage lurk under all of that nice shiny paint..Even on new cars.

Zilli
06-08-2007, 10:04 AM
if every car that was resprayed or needed panel work was taken down to baremetal cars would be in shops for months, and we'd be paying tens of thousands in labour...

SeverAMV
06-08-2007, 10:52 AM
there are a few places that will do the baremetal full respray for $2-3k actually, and they dont do a bad job either. and these guys dont take months, just a few weeks at most.

that and i'd rather have the whole panel resprayed than just a fraction of it. if you only do a fraction of it, it looks kinda wonky.

Zilli
06-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Can you verify either by PM or help our whole community here by telling us the shops who will do a full bare metal respray for 2-3k, as i do have a vehicle id like resprayed and for that price ill get all of the cars in my household done... 4 cars done for the price of one! YAY!

SeverAMV
06-08-2007, 05:38 PM
not too sure about in sydney, but over here in adelaide there are a few. there's one at the northern end of hanson road (not sure if its still hanson past grand junction but down at the northern end near the salisbury highway), extreme paint and panel would probably do it (their paint jobs arent too bad but i wouldnt recommend getting them to fit body kits).

but then, if you want a really brilliant paint job that will turn heads, you should be looking to spend more than 2-3k.

Zilli
06-08-2007, 05:48 PM
right ta

Deano_EK
06-08-2007, 06:40 PM
rubbed down to bare metal? i don't think ud find many places are gonna do your car like that... as for cost is it for a whole respray or just closed doors?

I was just looking at a closed doors respray. As i want the same colour. And dont see the point of painting the interior and engine bay again.