PDA

View Full Version : New tyres

cochelindo
05-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi all
I own a 2003 Honda Accord Euro Luxury and the last tyres I purchased 10,000 Km ago are Dunlop SP Sports 01.
These tyres are great in all departments except wear and a noise developed after I took the car to the Honda dealer for the 100,000 Km service which included tyre rotation, the noise gets louder with speed. I learned that the tyres are asymmetric and therefore can be fitted to either side of the vehicle, could it be that they are also directional and can only be change from front to back and not dioganally.
I'm taking it the tyre dealer tomorrow, will keep you posted.

yfin
05-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Directional tyres always have a stamp on them showing the direction of travel.

If your tyers do not have this marking you can put the tyre on any corner.

aaronng
05-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Yeah, directional tyres have a rotation arrow, while asymmetrical tyres have a "This side outwards" label.

BTW, Yokohama > Dunlop.

tron07
06-08-2007, 02:04 PM
The SC (service center) I went to only do front to back rotate, I dont think they will swap the left and right for you

cochelindo
06-08-2007, 08:20 PM
OK, I went to see the tyre dealer and after feeling the tyres told me that the tyres being asymmetric can be fitted in any position. He also told me that I needed a rear wheel alignment and that was the reason for the noisy tyres, too late to do one now, but to get one done next time I buy tyres.
I said that it was practically a new car and he said that all new subarus get a 4 wheel alignment before being delivered to the customer. So for now I'll put up with the noise that may dissapear in time when the back tyres adjust to the new position in the front.

yfin
06-08-2007, 08:32 PM
I said that it was practically a new car and he said that all new subarus get a 4 wheel alignment before being delivered to the customer.

:confused: 2003 model is practically new?

cochelindo
06-08-2007, 09:53 PM
It's a Honda!

yfin
06-08-2007, 09:55 PM
It's a Honda!

hit enough potholes or curbs when parking and your alignment can go out any car 5 minutes after an alignment