PDA

View Full Version : need serious help!

Dy_
05-08-2007, 10:57 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HONDA/CIVIC/details.aspx?__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1| |pCar_ImageCount_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_Da teTime|1&Make=HONDA&__Nne=20&State=New%20South%20Wales&R=1538632&state_id=80&__N=4294965322+80+850+42+4294965250+834+285+257&distance=25&__Dx=mode+matchany&trecs=17&Model=CIVIC&__sid=10F0B882F42F&__Ntk=CarAll&silo=1003&keywords=eg&Cr=12&__D=eg&seot=0&__Ntt=eg&__Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

Ok so a mate of mine wants to buy that car. He went and bargained it down to 7600$.
The owner claims the engine to come from an eg9(jdm engine)? how is this verified? it can be seen on the engine block its a b16a2.
Also the car isnt registered with the engine conversion. So in order for us to register it what process do we have to go through? and the costs involved?
The car has also been in an accident as weilding on the fenders can be seen, from this i assume the whole front has been cut off and changed?
The other this is..he is not able to provide us with receipts of the engine conversion to validate that it has only done 70000km? Any other way to find out??
What should i be looking out for as i'm going to take a look at the car tomorrow. Any help at all would be great!! thanks alot guys.

m3ntAL_l2
05-08-2007, 11:00 PM
b16a2 is not a jdm enegin.
if u want to register the car you need to get a engineering certificate, dont know about NSW, but in VIc its a pain in teh ass to do so and alot of money

Dy_
05-08-2007, 11:03 PM
b16a2 is not a jdm enegin.
if u want to register the car you need to get a engineering certificate, dont know about NSW, but in VIc its a pain in teh ass to do so and alot of money

yeah so it has to be engineered..what about the compliance plate? does the cars plate need to be changed?

Zilli
05-08-2007, 11:06 PM
ok, ill try and answer your questions as best i can dude

1) im not sure how to verify exactly whatmotor came out of what car, but if the motor is stamped as a B16a you can be pretty sure thats what it is... can really mistake the motor if you know what you're looking for. Looking at the photos i verify it IS a B series VTEC motor, so its either a B16a or B18c

2) If it isnt registered with the motor, do you mean there is no current registration on the car? as in unregistered? If so, you will need a Blue Slip during which the car will be checked ALL OVER (unless you know someone who can do a quicky for you). In this instance, the motor swap shouldnt (not entirely sure) be a problem because there is no overall change in engine capacity. The process in this instance will essentially be a case of identifying the engine number on the paperwork... you may also need receipts

3) The welding... well... you can take whatever you wish from this, it MAY have been in an accident, or it looks like its been resprayed, it doesnt look like the OEM colour, so it may just be that guard, you will need to be more specific on where on the guard the welding is evident, just because the guar looks marked doesnt mean the entire front end has been cut up.

Overall it looks pretty clean, the owner may have done a lot of work getting it to the stage, the bay is black so its obviously been sprayed, so who knows whats underneath.

Hope this helps

Goodluck

Dy_
05-08-2007, 11:11 PM
The car is currently registered just not with that motor.

The owner mentioned someone from ozhonda did the conversion for him aswell. So if anyone knows anything?

Its and b16 so same capacity.
What happens if there is no receipts? and we need to reregister the car with a different motor?

hai
05-08-2007, 11:16 PM
umm no receipts i think thats abit of a problem...

hai
05-08-2007, 11:23 PM
eg9 are civic sedans with a b16a
which would mean that the engine would be a japspec VTEC-motor

b16a2 - aus spec
b16a - jdm

also i dont think you'll need to go through with engineer cert, just a pinkslip to go towards the registration

jimmo
05-08-2007, 11:30 PM
im not so sure but from what i heard if B16A or B16A2 goes into an EG6, no engineer certificate is required. can anyone please confirm this?

hai
05-08-2007, 11:33 PM
we should all give him some ideas on what to check when buying a used car
before he regrets buying it

aaronng
05-08-2007, 11:40 PM
im not so sure but from what i heard if B16A or B16A2 goes into an EG6, no engineer certificate is required. can anyone please confirm this?

Even if it didn't require an engineer's certificate, the RTA should have been notified of the new engine number instead of being driven around with registration that states the number of the old engine.

hai
05-08-2007, 11:46 PM
im assuming thats what the owner did, driving an unregistered motor around.

well in this situation, how could this problem be solved? and have it road worthy, also the costing for all this

and which wont lead them to defects.

need answerss. anything in particular that he would need to check before purchase?

b16a VTEC MOTOR - from an eg9 into a eg6..

hai
06-08-2007, 12:22 AM
any information what so ever..? from anybody?..

how could this problem be solved?

- Car's engine converted B16a
- without receipt
- unregistered motor,
- Avoiding defects,

what would be the estimate cost to this..

please confirm the answer in guide steps if possible..
makes life easyer for everyone.

06-08-2007, 12:54 AM
un less u buy the car..

change it under ur name, and dun register the engine as well :p but thats to risky lol..

hai
06-08-2007, 01:09 AM
ahaha hrmmz nahh i dont think that would be a good idea..

its better off having things legal then and not having to get into trouble or any defect kind of ways. stay clean

any other possible ways?

I'm pretty sure HEAPS of people do engine conversions and that they loose the receipt or did not get one..

=============================

How would we even know that this car is even trustworthy

Zilli
06-08-2007, 10:02 AM
mate call the RTA... if your that desperate for legitimate info, o straight to the source... im pretty sure it just needs to be looked at by a mechanic ONLY for the purposes of identifying the motor, and filling ou the appropriate forms which you take to RTA