PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Inaccurate

ABS121
20-07-2004, 11:07 AM
When ever the orange light goes on for low fuel I go and fill up but can never seem to manage to get more than 55 litres in the tank, im assuming i still have 10 litres left, seeing as its a 65 litre tank, so I should be able to get another 100- 150 km before i run dry.

seems like the low fuel light goes on a little to prematurely, but im not willing to see how far i can go, incase i run out of fuel :-)

Any thoughts?

redliner
20-07-2004, 11:10 AM
yeah i reckon there's about 5L-10L left in the tank when the light flashes, but then agen i get paranoid that the car gonna run out the fuel soon so i go and fill up just incase

blueeuro
20-07-2004, 11:12 AM
I agree the light does come on very early for me also.

Must be the way it's designed.

Paul

ABS121
20-07-2004, 11:19 AM
All my hondas were like this.. .thought they might have gotten a little more accurate with a new car.

wWhen the light goes on, i drive for an extra 100km or so and it still registers 10 litres or so left....

I think they should have put a Trip Computer in the car, with distance to empty, fuel consumption etc.

yfin
20-07-2004, 01:22 PM
I agree it comes on early - but it is generally no different to other cars I have driven without a trip computer.

You should get at least 100ks further when the light goes on assuming it is ordinary driving. If you are a lead foot or pushing the car hard you would probably get less than 100ks.

The car definately needs a trip - even the $20k Honda Jazz has one!

redliner
20-07-2004, 01:30 PM
my friend's dad holden commador has a digital metre that say how much fuel left... damn wish honda has those.

yfin
20-07-2004, 05:17 PM
my friend's dad holden commador has a digital metre that say how much fuel left... damn wish honda has those.

They do - Honda Jazz - the cheapest model in the Honda Aus car lineup!

kanthan
20-07-2004, 05:34 PM
the commodore digital distance to empty feature....is not that great. My boss drives a late model hsv. its hardly accurate....plus it goes up and down based on how ur driving at that time, like when u go up a hill, it recalcutes the figure. its just a safe guestimate on how many kms u got left....new bmws have the same feature. but both cars, i have seen been driven with guage saying 0kms left, and still getting 30-40kms out of it. We use shell cards in our company, so the directors wont fill up else where, so they go til they find the first shell servo.

the polo i am driving fuel light goes off at about quater tank. But i have driven it for about 20kms....past the guage sitting on empty. i filled the tank and it filled up to like 43 or 44 litres (its a 45litre tank)....i think they do it so that its a safe measure so u dont run out of fuel.