PDA

View Full Version : Headers Question

Shimian
06-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Looking to get some headers for my FD2 running stock air box. I read that I may need to do some tuning and use products like emange or other piggyback products. Noob here. So does it mean i have to spend another $500+ in order to upgrade headers? Ive never upgraded my headers before so i dont know the process. Can i just install the headers and let the stock ECU relearn the settings?

Any help is appreciated greatly

mugeneration
06-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah tuning would help a little if they are REALLY good headers. But if theyre just average - good quality headers then you wouldnt really notice the difference tuned or un tuned.

aaronng
07-08-2007, 12:00 AM
You can get an interceptor and tune that, but that is if you want all of the potential gains from your headers.

Are you running the stock exhaust too? If you have the stock air box and exhaust, then it is not worth doing spending so much money on ECU tuning just for the headers.

BTW, good headers = $1000 at least. Good interceptor $500-700. Installation and tuning maybe ~$350

Shimian
07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
What I will be running are headers made for my car. Apparently its called "RRB Intake Manifold". As I said, im noob to headers so i dont know whats good or not. I will find out more on this particular header. I will be running stock air box with k&n filter. Maybe one day i will remove the resonator. My exhaust will be changed to Fuji catback, and again its made for my model, plug and play.
I dont know what an interceptor is. Can someone explain?
So in this situation, do i need to buy some piggyback product or anything to tune my car? Or will stock ECU do all the relearning? Im not sure whats involved in tuning the car. Im guessing it does some mods to the ECU to have new settings? If yes, will that reset if i take it to Honda for a service as i was told they check your ECU everytime u get your car serviced?

Any help is appreciated greatly

aaronng
07-08-2007, 06:39 PM
A piggyback is an interceptor. It takes signals, modifies it and then forwards it to the ECU. The ECU can alter fuel trim over the long run, but the effect won't be drastic. You won't find your ECU totally compensating to override your piggyback's tuning.

Shimian
07-08-2007, 06:54 PM
So what your saying, if i get the above set up, i will need to spend $500+ for a piggyback? Then i will make use of the mods and hopefully show some improvement? Again noob here: when i install an aftermarket ECU, i need to take it to a tuner and they will adjust the ECU to override my stock ECU? And this setting will remain even if i take it to honda for service assuming i advise them not to touch my ECU settings?

cheers

mugeneration
07-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Well you wont be getting a good bang for buck return is all. You will get an improvement, but if power is what you're after then maybe consider modifications in other areas.

aaronng
07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
So what your saying, if i get the above set up, i will need to spend $500+ for a piggyback? Then i will make use of the mods and hopefully show some improvement? Again noob here: when i install an aftermarket ECU, i need to take it to a tuner and they will adjust the ECU to override my stock ECU? And this setting will remain even if i take it to honda for service assuming i advise them not to touch my ECU settings?

cheers

Yes, after you install the piggyback, you need to get it tuned.

Shimian
07-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Well you wont be getting a good bang for buck return is all. You will get an improvement, but if power is what you're after then maybe consider modifications in other areas.

Im not after power. Slight improvement, im happy. I will be getting those mods (header, fuji catback). I dont plan on getting an ECU, but just reading around, i get the impression that you need to get it or the car will run differently as the stock ECU wont be able to relearn the new settings. Ive never changed my headers or catback before so i dont know what i need to do after they are installed.

aaronng
07-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Im not after power. Slight improvement, im happy. I will be getting those mods (header, fuji catback). I dont plan on getting an ECU, but just reading around, i get the impression that you need to get it or the car will run differently as the stock ECU wont be able to relearn the new settings. Ive never changed my headers or catback before so i dont know what i need to do after they are installed.

You can run your Civic with the headers and exhaust without the piggyback. Why don't you do that first if you are still unsure about piggyback options and still need to research on it?