PDA

View Full Version : HID upgrades, possible?

qello
07-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Hi,

I bought a 6MT base model in 2005, been thinking about change the headlight to HIDs.. is it possible? the dealer quoted me $2900 without labor... is there a conversion kit i could use? how would it look like if i upgrade it?

tony1234
07-08-2007, 07:53 AM
I'd just upgrade your halogens to Polargs or Phillips.It's been discussed here before and to me it doesn't seem worth the cost.

take_no_prisoners
07-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I'd just upgrade your halogens to Polargs or Phillips.It's been discussed here before and to me it doesn't seem worth the cost.

Any good recommendations/quotes?

destrukshn
07-08-2007, 09:26 AM
i got the original oem hid head lights, with the projectors
bulbs, ignitors, control units, for sale if you want em.
bulbs are brand new, i can do it for 1k posted.
cheers

lilwilliam
07-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Hey mate Theres alot of after market HID kits avalible ranging from a various amount of price from 140 - 300 depending on brand and where you get it, JTODA has done a hid conversion kit onto his car, he doesnt have projectors tho so its not a clean cut compared to HID's with projectors, so i recommend that you do get projectors, but if u decide not to it still will be fine, the ballasts (like a tansformer for your HID lights) just connect directly to your stock wires so its pretty easy to isntall, hope this has helped

J-TODA
07-08-2007, 10:22 AM

actually after asking places like autobarn...phillips vision bulbs cost about 130 for 2...

i got my 8000k HID kit 150..shipped..

its much brighter and i reckon looks better as well..

if ur after looks..id go 8000k.has reasonable range as well..if u jst want plain white bright light..go the 6000k

as lilwilliam said...as i dont have HID projectors ,the light slightly spreads out and is not as focused as the OEM hid kit.

also one other consideration..
the kit which i purchased is onli for low beams.. and high beams are jst as standard.there are kits avalible which replace both low and high beams, however i dont see the need for the high beams as low beam..is alreayd bright enough...

the installation takes about 2hrs if u know wat ur doing...

hope the information above has helped u =]

my opinion get em =] im realli happy with mine..looks heaps better..(evn better then the ones on lilwilliams lux euro) =]

ps: might need to change parkers after , haha seems yellow after HIDs are on...onli cost about 10-20dollars =]

Atjo
07-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Just buy HID kit from Cyber Century in Springvale, the kit is only $220-$240. http://www.cybercentury.com.au/

Euro1011
07-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Anyone used the MTec Halogens? Wonder if they are any good.
I'm also thinking of changing to halogens but not sure of the specs. As I know the halogen low beam is H1. From what i read it's H1-D2S. Does it mean I need to get halogens for the Euro which are H1-D2S spec or H1 halogens will do?
Also is 4750K bright enough for halogen or should i go for 6000K halogen if there is such a spec?

aaronng
07-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm also thinking of changing to halogens but not sure of the specs. As I know the halogen low beam is H1. From what i read it's H1-D2S. Does it mean I need to get halogens for the Euro which are H1-D2S spec or H1 halogens will do?
Also is 4750K bright enough for halogen or should i go for 6000K halogen if there is such a spec?

Is your Euro the base or Lux?

4750K and 6000K is not the brightness. That is the colour temperature. Brightest for halogens is about 3200K. It gets dimmer as you go whiter.

tony1234
07-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Any good recommendations/quotes?
A trader on here JDM Concept has them(Polargs) i think.If not just search under traders.:)

Euro1011
07-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Is your Euro the base or Lux?

4750K and 6000K is not the brightness. That is the colour temperature. Brightest for halogens is about 3200K. It gets dimmer as you go whiter.

Mine's the base Euro. What's your recommendation?

aaronng
07-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Mine's the base Euro. What's your recommendation?

The base model projectors are designed for halogen, not HID. So the light won't be as good as that from a luxury model.

But for your car, you need the H1 HID kit. I prefer a max of 5000K, which is white with tinge of blue. I don't like it too bluish. There are 6000K kits as well, so it's up to you. You might get weird effects from these kits though. One member had 2 long shadows in the light because of the ground electrode of the H1 HID bulb.

lilwilliam
07-08-2007, 03:58 PM
The base model projectors are designed for halogen, not HID. So the light won't be as good as that from a luxury model.

But for your car, you need the H1 HID kit. I prefer a max of 5000K, which is white with tinge of blue. I don't like it too bluish. There are 6000K kits as well, so it's up to you. You might get weird effects from these kits though. One member had 2 long shadows in the light because of the ground electrode of the H1 HID bulb.

i heard that the 6000K hid's have poor vision in the rain.

NeoNode
07-08-2007, 04:03 PM
i heard that the 6000K hid's have poor vision in the rain.
HID's in general, have poorer vision in the rain.

Euro1011
07-08-2007, 04:09 PM
So Aaron or anyone here, I'm sure it's better to upgrade to a HID kit but would a standard halogen (white) still do a better job than the factory halogens? I'm thinking it would but not much. Or is it just a waste of time and money to get the halogens, mite as well go for the kits

NeoNode
07-08-2007, 04:15 PM
So Aaron or anyone here, I'm sure it's better to upgrade to a HID kit but would a standard halogen (white) still do a better job than the factory halogens? I'm thinking it would but not much. Or is it just a waste of time and money to get the halogens, mite as well go for the kits
Actually it's not better to upgrade to an HID kit for halogen equipped cars, unless done properly.
You can refer to this thread about it.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72055

I found Narva PLUS 50 halogens bulbs to be quite good.
They are not white, but they sure are bright!

aaronng
07-08-2007, 04:30 PM

White halogens are not as bright as standard yellowish halogens. The brightest I've used are the +50 Narva/Osrams. I'm now using Crystalvision 4300K bulbs, which are whiter but are noticeably dimmer than the +50 bulbs.

r-r-redEuro
07-08-2007, 05:09 PM
i got the original oem hid head lights, with the projectors
bulbs, ignitors, control units, for sale if you want em.
bulbs are brand new, i can do it for 1k posted.
cheers

hey destrukshn, are your hits new ? if not how old are they ? pm me ?
or do you know where else in sydney that i can buy 6500k hids ?

J-TODA
07-08-2007, 05:24 PM
hey destrukshn, are your hits new ? if not how old are they ? pm me ?
or do you know where else in sydney that i can buy 6500k hids ?

u can get em off ebay...branded or no brand... and i never knew dere were 6500k ones?? i fought it was 6000k den jumps to 8000k..

my_vtec77
07-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Actually it's not better to upgrade to an HID kit for halogen equipped cars, unless done properly.

yeah..NeoNode is right. I was crazy about HIDs b4. No more now after i read lots of drama about aftermarket HID kits.

I'm not sure is it possible to change back from HID to halogen in standard euro.

Euro1011
07-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah I'll probably pass on the HID kit first and change the bulbs instead and see how it goes from there. Not keen on spending so much on the kit. Rather on some other mods.
Cheers all for the info

J-TODA
07-08-2007, 07:08 PM
yeah..NeoNode is right. I was crazy about HIDs b4. No more now after i read lots of drama about aftermarket HID kits.

I'm not sure is it possible to change back from HID to halogen in standard euro.

yes.... all u do is jst keep the oem parts of which u replaced ur HID kit with...

adn if u wnat to return to halogens.. jst remove the HID kit..and replace it..

simple task..

^__^ SM ^__^
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I used 6000K HID kit before and they're ok but not so good at night. When I switched back to stock halogen and now using Bluevision bulbs, I seem to see more but less range than the 6000K HID. I think it was due to the colour being too white (although the 6000K did light up street signs so so so bright!). I am now ordering 4300K HID bulbs so I can get the extra range AND the more visible color. So I would recommend 4300K bulbs. If anyone wants 6000K bulbs in H1, feel free to PM me. :)

Also, like Aaron said, the H1 hid bulbs do have the shadows from the projectors. but you get used to them though. I'm gonna have trouble adjusting again after using halogens for a while now.

Shimian
07-08-2007, 07:45 PM

Im using MTEC halogens 4300K on my FD2. Its not that bright compared to my stock. I installed them merely to see if i like to drive in white. I can see i will like white when i change over to HID.

Suntzu
09-08-2007, 10:28 AM

Thats what I have they are about 20% better than stock so very decent. that being said i did blow one after only 9 months usage. On a new Narva 50 now. Hope I dont have the water headlight problem..

tknova
09-08-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm running polarg shining wizzard in the fog lights and Headlights, except for highbeam, which is Phillips Vision Plus.

The polarg ones look great at night. Bright white with a tinge of blue. i'll have to take a photo. A little bit of visability is lost but your always using your highbeams when it's pitch black anyway. So the polargs suit me fine!

I think there only $89.99 a pair?

J-TODA
09-08-2007, 07:31 PM
kinda off topic..bt wat size bulbs do the euro 06 foggies use?? h11's??i need to change mine..looking as if ive got yellow ambers LMAO!!

jdm ftw!!

aaronng
09-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Thats what I have they are about 20% better than stock so very decent. that being said i did blow one after only 9 months usage. On a new Narva 50 now. Hope I dont have the water headlight problem..

The Narva (and Osram) +50 bulbs last 12 months at max. If you want something that lasts longer, look at the Philips Visionplus +50% instead.

badthing
11-08-2007, 12:45 PM
kinda off topic..bt wat size bulbs do the euro 06 foggies use?? h11's??i need to change mine..looking as if ive got yellow ambers LMAO!!

jdm ftw!!

yea, Euro foglights use H11 bulbs

devilians
11-08-2007, 12:51 PM
One thing u should consider is where is it made

cause my friend had a cheapy one from china and it's very crap

i got my one for my 2000 lancer form ebay but made in Taiwan

the quality is great but bad luck they aren't making them anymore

but yeah go for the aftermarket ones with projector cause

euro is kinda big without the projector sometimes it will not look as bright

good luck huntting they should be around $200 mark

I got the factory one on my euro now they are great

^__^ SM ^__^
11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I changed to 4300K HID now. Kinda mixed feelings. The previous 6000K HID have more bling plus light up signs really well. With the 4300K HID, it's like a super bright Philips BlueVision bulb.

I don't why it's still more yellow than the OEM HID on the Lux Euro. I thought they use 4300K HID too. :(

PS. Also, with the 4300K , I don't seem to get the 2 shadows on the road like that I used to have with the 6000K

J-TODA
11-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I changed to 4300K HID now. Kinda mixed feelings. The previous 6000K HID have more bling plus light up signs really well. With the 4300K HID, it's like a super bright Philips BlueVision bulb.

I don't why it's still more yellow than the OEM HID on the Lux Euro. I thought they use 4300K HID too. :(

PS. Also, with the 4300K , I don't seem to get the 2 shadows on the road like that I used to have with the 6000K

so if u had the choice ...would u return to b4?? or stay as is.. ? =]

^__^ SM ^__^
11-08-2007, 07:34 PM
so if u had the choice ...would u return to b4?? or stay as is.. ? =]

Well... I would stay as now because I find 4300K easier on the eye and also being able to clearly see the cut-off is nice. Not to mention it was so tough fitting the whole thing especially on the right side where it's soooo cramped!

Euro1011
14-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Anyone used the Raybrig halogens before? If you have what do you think of them as compared to the Polarg?
I'm still not sure which H1 halogen to use for my car

aaronng
14-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Anyone used the Raybrig halogens before? If you have what do you think of them as compared to the Polarg?
I'm still not sure which H1 halogen to use for my car

Raybrig is probably one of the best halogen bulbs around. Their price is also high. :)

Ask EuroAccord13, he is using Raybrigs now.

Crapdaz
18-06-2008, 09:08 AM
sorry to bring up an old thread,
but on the euro luxury, the low beams are using h1-d2s bulbs (which are using d2s connector)?

are the high beams the same H1?
and would foggies fit any H11 or H9(conversion)?

Thanks guys.