PDA

View Full Version : need some electrical advice

beayni85
07-08-2007, 03:56 PM
For shits and giggles i replaced all my rear globes with led globe replacements, looks allright. i understand due to the drop in power usage my brake warning light is coming on (ka9 legend) but aswell as that my indicators are goin nuts. if i just put the hazards on the timing is correct, but if i indicate, it goes bizerk. anyone know how to fix this problem? and does anyone know how to bipass the brake warning lite system?
any help would be greatly appreciated
beayni

destrukshn
07-08-2007, 04:03 PM
you can't
leds take less wattage.
so when you put it in, it's not drawing the whole 12v's so it think it's busted.
but really it's not.
to fix, put your old bulbs back in
lol.

beayni85
07-08-2007, 04:07 PM
yeh i kinda assumed sumthing like that was happening, but wasnt sure if i grounded it to the car instead of goin through the sensor if that would fix both the issues, or just the warning lamp issue

IZY-10
07-08-2007, 05:02 PM
What if he was to put a current limiter befor the connection to the globes? Maybe something like 220ohms resistor?

dsp26
07-08-2007, 05:03 PM
under the dash there is a relay that you change to keep the blink rate consistent.

There is a generic replacement that auto-elecs have to fix it, however these units are round and 3-plug where-as the honda one is square and 2 plug.... it just has a resistor in it... but it won't plug straight in and require wiring... not hard though...

take it to an auto elec... they will know how to fix it and it'll cost between $30-$50 inc part/labour....

i'll post up the square unit tonight... i know of a place to get it for under $10

beayni85
07-08-2007, 05:06 PM
under the dash there is a relay that you change to keep the blink rate consistent.

There is a generic replacement that auto-elecs have to fix it, however these units are round and 3-plug where-as the honda one is square and 2 plug.... it just has a resistor in it... but it won't plug straight in and require wiring... not hard though...

take it to an auto elec... they will know how to fix it and it'll cost between $30-$50 inc part/labour....

i'll post up the square unit tonight... i know of a place to get it for under $10

thanks heaps mate :) greatly appreciated

beayni85
07-08-2007, 05:09 PM

also by changing the resistance in the relay will that also fix the issue with my brake warning lamp, or am i goin to have to put a resistor before the led in attempt to increase the resistance. or just rewire the ground to the car instead of thru the warning sensor?

dsp26
07-08-2007, 05:17 PM
also by changing the resistance in the relay will that also fix the issue with my brake warning lamp, or am i goin to have to put a resistor before the led in attempt to increase the resistance. or just rewire the ground to the car instead of thru the warning sensor?

i can't answer that for your car as it is dependent on if all the exterior lights on your car draw from the same source... but generally all vehicles do which is why these 'resistor relays' fix the problems.

it would probably be easier if you installed correct LED replacements with these resistance circuits built in.. if you are interested i will also post the link tonight...

IZY-10
07-08-2007, 05:30 PM
it just has a resistor in it...

Isn't that the same as what i already said?

dsp26
07-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Isn't that the same as what i already said?

no because what most people do is just splice the resistor in line which is fine.

however,the actual relay unit is the proper way to fix it

IZY-10
07-08-2007, 05:50 PM
the box probably is a better way of doing things any way as you dont have to figure out the resistor value as has already been calculated

dsp26
07-08-2007, 10:25 PM
http://www.wardenjp.com/flasher_relay3.jpg
^^that is the part but i just remembered supercheap sell em for like $9... just goto an autoelec and get them to supply & fit... the location is different for every car.

It is not just a resistor circuit at a set ohm-age.. it's an entire circuit that can handle a certain range of discrepancy and still output the flash at the same speed.

the reason resistors are harder to calculate is that it depends on how many bulbs you change and the wattage, etc of each item... therefore there is no set ohm rule.

IZY-10
08-08-2007, 12:09 AM
just reading through the thread again and i don't see how changing the flasher unit is going to solve his problem. He will still have the issue of 12v being drawn from the rear lights. athe flasher will still react how it is atm

dsp26
08-08-2007, 07:26 AM
it will fix the blink rate.

it's not the 12v thats the issue as you can only use 12v bulbs around the car... its how many WATTS the bulb is...

IZY-10
08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
but the flasher works fine with the original globes in it. Have you had personal expirence or something?

beayni85
08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
voltage is same on the globes. wattage is different. :p i failed electrical engineering thats why i need to ask haha. i was under the impression that the ones i bought had a resistor in line to attempt to match the same current drain but they obviously didnt. i will go to a sparky and c what they can do. thanks guys. main reason i changed to led's was my reverse light was very dull, and needed sumthing a lil brighter ( having 15% tint didnt help) but it is heaps brighter now, just bought the rest to match, so well c how i go. thanks agian

dsp26
08-08-2007, 12:21 PM
but the flasher works fine with the original globes in it. Have you had personal expirence or something?

yes... coz i helped member VAM05Z get his rego done and our main problem was the flasher. :)

it was impossible to fix the parkers with a higher wattage bulb (ie 20watts) to compensate because the T10 bulbs only come in 5w or 10w.

Auto Elecs will always fix it through the relay method as the circuit is consistent than guessing the required ohm-age for every application

as for the Brake Light LEDs... i would highly recommend them as a additional driving safety for people driving behind you as they light up almost instantaneously to full lumen intensity compared to filament bulbs that have a slight delay from when you brake.

there are proper LEDs with the built in circuits and are very bright.. just forgot to post them up last night which i'll do tonight...

but like i said, it'll fix his blinker rate.. but not sure on the brake light issue as it depends on if they come from the same source.. depsite being seperately fused.

***EDIT***
v=i/r

v = voltage
i=current/watts
r=resistance/ohm

lol :p from yr9 D&T class hehehe i'm sure you guys can re-arrange the formula yourselves to get the missing value if you already have 2 such as the voltage and current.

But it's not as simple as that if you changed more than one bulb... also depends if the lighting is wired in series or parallel which is why trying to figure out a single ohm value is inconsistent when you can get a unit that can reset to a certain blink rate/current while being able to cover a ranged variation...

IZY-10
08-08-2007, 11:01 PM
they are so bright because the diodes all have the same common ground giving consistent light dispersion out of the (hi intensity) LEDs. :thumbsup: