PDA

View Full Version : MSD Digital Ignition System, Cap + External Coil + ignition box (sci) etc? Questions?

Sexc86
07-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Hey guys

Been doing a bit of research about a MSD digital idnition system. As MSD dont make a Dizzy for a D16 the next best thing is a MSD Cap (that bypasses the weak stocko coil), An External Coil (blaster, Blaster SS etc ) + an Msd Ignition Module.

Now first off to make this kit complete is there anything i have missed out (missing link?) 2nd I am Aiming to achieve 200 - 250 wkw on a street car (but not daily driven) not alwayes pushed hard, but will be taken to 1/4 and possibly circuit and run at 100%
haveing trouble finding the best combination as i have noticed there are a few variations of these parts eg. Has anyone had an experiences with this sort of kit before? any pros and cons? can anyone suggest a good combination, and someone who supplys them?

coil
Blaster 2 Coil
Blaster HVC Coil
Power Pro Coil
Power Pro HVC Coil

Ignition Moduel
MSD 6A Ignition
MSD 6AL Ignition
MSD SCI Ignition
MSD SCI-L Ignition

only to name a few? looks like the versions with (L) at the end have an adjustable rev limiter but is that all?

Think thats about it for now, if anyone could give some helpfull advice would really be appreciated :) more then happy to shoot some Rep points users way . Also contactable on Draper_Ebay@hotmail.com MSN

Thanks in advance guys

Regards Lyle

dsp26
08-08-2007, 01:04 PM
heres a good thread by ECUMAN:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49899&highlight=msd+ignition

If you do get a multi-spark ignition module, do not waste your money on Blaster 2 Coils or anything oem replacement equivalent... you'd want something stronger to take advantage of the capacitance system.

Just as an example, I am only running an LX91 Crane Cams coil which is an oem replacement (LX92 and PX series is for multi-spark module and will not run on stock ICM) and my current sparkplug gap is 1.7mm with no misfire upto redline on idle+incline load ie uphill.. plus 17* timing adv.

better spark does equate to more torque due to better combustion, i cannot prove the gains at this stage as i have yet to visit the dyno, i can however guarantee you will notice the far better response and 'crispness'... i only have a b16a2 also btw...

Stock plug gaps are 1.1mm afaik. I previously had the red MSD blaster SS coil (block unit not the cylinder one) and it misfired on 1.5mm plug gap.

MSDs ignition modules are pretty good from all install threads i've read... but i also know from others and my personal experience that their coils do suck donkey balls.

***EDIT***
motivation to add this to my b16a2 is because when i did this exact mod on my sr20 nissan nx coupe, i realised a 4wkw peak gain on the same dyno... not sure of the torque gain even though it was noticable as the dyno was HP & A/F only.

The setup involved was:
- LX91 Crane Cams coil
- Iridium plugs gapped to 1.3mm from 1.1mm
- fuel pressure increased from 38psi to ~40-42psi through a generic afpr.

dsp26
08-08-2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/product_info.php?cPath=22_80_85&products_id=167
http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/images/LX91.gif

Crane Cams LX91 Lightweight E-Core Coil

- High-output E-core ignition coils.
- Up to 70% higher energy at the spark plug than stock for maximum performance, race or street.
- E-core design with closed magnetic path. Reduced leakage inductance cuts losses and improves energy transfer to the spark plug.
- Solid epoxy encapsulated. Resists severe shock and harsh vibration.
- Insulated primary connector for safety. No exposed high voltage on primary terminals for enhanced safety. An important consideration when used with high output CD systems.
- SAE-spec high voltage tower protects against arcing. Improved coil wire retention and longer creep path to protect against high voltage arcing.
- Heavy gauge wire used for all windings. Results in much lower resistance and better heat dissipation for greater high RPM endurance.
- Windings optimized with computer aided design. Our exclusive CAD (Computer-Aided-Design) windings produce maximum spark gap current and highest available voltage.
- Lightweight, low profile black anodized housing.
- Recommended for use with stock OEM ignition systems.

LX91 High Output Universal E-Core Ignition Coil Highest possible spark energy and spark gap current, up to 100% greater than comparable OE coils and 70% greater than MSD Blaster coil. Recommended coil for street use with Crane HI-6, Mallory Hyfire, MSD 6 CD systems. Also works great with Crane DMSI, HI-6S, XR3000 inductive discharge ignitions. Not for use in race or extended high RPM use with high output ignition. Not for use with points.

Sexc86
08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
dam so that is a replacement internal coil? and you noticed a 4kw gain with just this on your nx? thats not bad

Sexc86
12-08-2007, 08:05 PM
bump.... anymore info guys?