PDA

View Full Version : Please gimme advice to claim from insurance

my_vtec77
08-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi guys,
The story is last month, my euro got a big deep scratch along the door while my missus drove out of the car park. Then later few weeks, someone keyed on the bonnet and side of the car when i parked in shopping center.:o That was a bad month.
I have comprehensive insurance. So should i claim saying one is from accident and others from someone keyed? or ?? Dunno guys. Any ideas please???

BusterSonic12
08-08-2007, 06:56 PM
i think, they just make u pay excess and they pay for the job to get it fixed, since u didn't catch anyone doing it

snYpz
08-08-2007, 07:07 PM
really depends i guess...
I'm with NRMA with 65% no claim bonus. If ur with NRMA as well with no claim bonus, u should get a quote and see whether it works out better paying for the repairs urself as compared to the premium change. Not sure if im 100% correct but thats wat i think anyways.

my_vtec77
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
thanks guys, I'm with AAMI and i have no claim bonus. Access fees is 500. but scratches to fix will cost more than that. I just wonder if i tell them my car get accident, keyed scratches doesnt look like accident so when they come and check and they will question me about it.

I think better report them my car was vandalized and claim 4 all of it. I'm not sure is it legal or not?

DamienS
08-08-2007, 10:54 PM
thanks guys, I'm with AAMI and i have no claim bonus. Access fees is 500. but scratches to fix will cost more than that. I just wonder if i tell them my car get accident, keyed scratches doesnt look like accident so when they come and check and they will question me about it.

I think better report them my car was vandalized and claim 4 all of it. I'm not sure is it legal or not?

Its an excess not an access. If you say both were vandalism then yes it is technically illegal , Fraud to be precise. But if you advise that it was two seperate events they will most likely charge you two excesses ($1,000).

xenonkuraz
08-08-2007, 11:34 PM
does the deep scratch look like vandals could have done it?

aaronng
09-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Doesn't matter if it is an accident or vandalism. If you don't have the contact details of the person who did it, you will still have to pay for the excess and lose your no claim bonus unless you have no claim bonus protection.

Get some quotes. Area resprays might cost the same as your $500 excess. In that case, just pay for the respray yourself.

GupZ
09-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi guys,
The story is last month, my euro got a big deep scratch along the door while my missus drove out of the car park. Then later few weeks, someone keyed on the bonnet and side of the car when i parked in shopping center.:o That was a bad month.
I have comprehensive insurance. So should i claim saying one is from accident and others from someone keyed? or ?? Dunno guys. Any ideas please???

I suggest you not to claim for it.

Reason:

1. you would lose your NCB which makes you to pay more next year.

2. The cost to fix the damages i think is only $700-1000? (not sure)..but well....if you now tell the insurance company the truth, they will definitely charge you two excess = $1000...and plus you will lose NCB..which means ...you are going to pay double the amount to fix the damages.

tknova
09-08-2007, 07:04 AM
It's going to be two different claims, as they are two different incidents.

$500 for door claim
$500 for malicious damage claim to bonnet (you will need to get a police report aswell)

If the bonnet is scratched most likely you will gave to blend the tops of the guards, And the rear door is imacted you will most likely need to blend the 1/4 and front door.

Both jobs sound like they are over $500.00 easy.

It's still worth lodging a claim for them imo.

bennjamin
09-08-2007, 10:09 AM
I will say + 1 vote for NOT claiming.

Just keep your excess payout for a claim that DOES matter ( IE write off or big accident / stolen etc)

Limbo
09-08-2007, 11:26 AM
I'd just shop around for quote for repairs before considering to claim or not

devilians
10-08-2007, 04:39 PM
+1 to not claim cause i had the samething before with my Lancer

someone open the door VERY VERY hard (was a ladie with walking stick)

open the door and BANG cost me $475 to fix it access will be around the same

and you will have to pay it twice cause 2 seperate event so better get it fix

yourself shop arround good luck

kerim
10-08-2007, 04:53 PM
just say it happened in one go, i had various damage on my car all from differnt days, and got it all done in one claim, just say vandalism, it should work,
But dont forget, claim if only it will cost more than wat the excess is

my_vtec77
10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your great ideas.:thumbsup: I think i better just claim for a scratch from accident coz that one is quite big and has to change door handle as well.

But fix the keyed scratches myself coz it's not that big. hope that will be cheap.

I think i have lifetime protection NCB or something, have to check. Last two years ago, i claimed once when my car oil tank hit with rock. But it didnt effect to my NCB. May be this time it will :o

aaronng
10-08-2007, 10:29 PM
I think i have lifetime protection NCB or something, have to check. Last two years ago, i claimed once when my car oil tank hit with rock. But it didnt effect to my NCB. May be this time it will :o

NCB protection lets you claim once a year without affecting your NCB. But your future policies will be higher because they will ask you if you had any claims in the last 3/5 years and you have to answer yes.

TheGoodDeal
11-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks everyone for your great ideas.:thumbsup: I think i better just claim for a scratch from accident coz that one is quite big and has to change door handle as well.

But fix the keyed scratches myself coz it's not that big. hope that will be cheap.

If you want to make a claim then you can try negotiate with the repairer (Panel beater) to touch up the keyed scratches free for you.
It happen to my friend. The car had few scratches on front passenger side bumper. Then another small accident and cratches the passenger side front door. when bring to GIO the accessor checked and said that the scratch at the bumper was separate accident and can not repair in one claim. But he suggest that when bing to panel beater can make a deal to fix it free. And yes the panel beater fix front passenger side bumper free for my friend

my_vtec77
11-08-2007, 12:19 AM
NCB protection lets you claim once a year without affecting your NCB. But your future policies will be higher because they will ask you if you had any claims in the last 3/5 years and you have to answer yes.

Thanks for the info, aaronng. What about Lifetime Max. NCB? Still the policies be higher next year if i had a claim?

And Thanks to "TheGoodDeal". That's a good idea too. Even i have to pay couple of hundreds extra for those keyed scratches, still worth it. I'm not sure AAMI let us choose own repairer. Gotta check out.

TheGoodDeal
11-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the info, aaronng. What about Lifetime Max. NCB? Still the policies be higher next year if i had a claim?

And Thanks to "TheGoodDeal". That's a good idea too. Even i have to pay couple of hundreds extra for those keyed scratches, still worth it. I'm not sure AAMI let us choose own repairer. Gotta check out.

Yes, you not lost NCB if you have NCB protection if you had a "at fault claim", but the Premium still increase next year (I'm not sure this happen to all insurers or not).

aaronng
11-08-2007, 12:29 AM

Depends on the insurer. On mine, it's only 1 claim protected per year. So you'll have to check your policy on what they mean by "Lifetime".

The premium will be higher for your policy on your future car. For this current car, the premium shouldn't increase unless you cancel this one and start a new policy with another company.

my_vtec77
11-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks, aaronng and TheGoodDeal for prompt replies.!!! i will check more info of my insurance policies on monday.

aaronng
11-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Yes, you not lost NCB if you have NCB protection if you had a "at fault claim", but the Premium still increase next year (I'm not sure this happen to all insurers or not).

Yeah, depends on the insurer. But if it does increase the next year on the same policy, then there is no point for NCB protection.

TheGoodDeal
11-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Yeah, depends on the insurer. But if it does increase the next year on the same policy, then there is no point for NCB protection.

Yes, the NCB protection do help. For example If you have at fault claim. The base premium will increase (like 10%). If you have NCB protection you still have 65% NCB and it will bring down the base premium 65%, but if you don't have NCB protection the NCB will drop to 50% or 55% and you will have only 50% or 55% discount on base premium. The premium increase because they they increase the base premium before apply the NCB discount.

beeza
11-08-2007, 01:28 PM
A lot of good info in here.Thanks Guys!