PDA

View Full Version : VTC disabled, what need to becareful on

X8TEENX
09-08-2007, 04:08 AM
hi, i think i m rdy to purchase set of cams either

1. toda spec C http://todaracingusa.com/category?section=product&omid=2&cid=22&id=3
2. Jun http://www.hipowerracing.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=293&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57

both require VTC disabled, my question is is that means my vtec will always open? and would tat harm my engine easily (planning to rev till 9000rpm since i will get titanium retainer as well). saw todaracingusa website and it said highly recommend purchase toda piston (another 1k+).

if it's so much problem then i might just go for A3 or lower grade cams...any1 can help me that?

ECU-MAN
09-08-2007, 08:31 PM
if you disable the VTEC you dont need to worry about any of the oil flow in the engine as it would just behave like running on low cam.

just make sure its disabled in the ecu that you use.

aaronng
09-08-2007, 08:44 PM
VTC disabled means that it doesn't have the oil channels for the VTC sprocket on the intake camshaft. VTC is used for phasing the intake valve timing.

VTEC is not affected by the VTC being removed.

X8TEENX
10-08-2007, 12:54 AM
so overall good ?or bad? cause i m not really sure about those VTC, cam gears staff...but i heard Vision R (perth buddyclub dealer) said even the car can rev to 9000 RPM but still depending on the Dyno curve, if the power max out is 8000 RPM then no point to buy the titanium retainers to let it rev to 9000 RPM...is that correct??

another question if i wan to gain power from 4000-8000+RPM, which cams is better for me? (just purely want feel the 'power')

and adding cam gear will let me more easy to tune the car?

aaronng
10-08-2007, 11:09 AM
so overall good ?or bad? cause i m not really sure about those VTC, cam gears staff...but i heard Vision R (perth buddyclub dealer) said even the car can rev to 9000 RPM but still depending on the Dyno curve, if the power max out is 8000 RPM then no point to buy the titanium retainers to let it rev to 9000 RPM...is that correct??

another question if i wan to gain power from 4000-8000+RPM, which cams is better for me? (just purely want feel the 'power')

and adding cam gear will let me more easy to tune the car?

For race applications, they remove the VTC and use regular manually-adjustable cam gears.

If you are changing your cams to more aggressive ones, then your power can go up to 9000rpm. Of course on stock cams there is no point going above 8000rpm except for gear ratio purposes.

X8TEENX
10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
what means more aggressive??if i go for Toda Spec C or similar grades cams...would that be good enough??or need more higher grade like IPS k2?

TODA AU
10-08-2007, 09:23 PM
As said on ClubITR,
We use Spec C's in DC5 K20A & retain VTC function & std pistons.
It works well though great care must be taken tuning the VTC.
(too much cam angle can cause pistons to valve contact & or valve to valve contact)
(Std ECU cannot be used as cam angle is too mush & engine damage will occur)
If in doubt, use the VTC killer cam pulleys.
Power band is 3000rpm to 9000rpm
Titanium valve spring retainers are not required as maximum rpm is 9000 with std bottom end.
Using over 9000rpm with std bottom end will result in engine failure (eventually)

X8TEENX
11-08-2007, 12:09 AM
PM sent, adrian. great person, waiting for that order :D

X8TEENX
13-08-2007, 11:45 AM
As said on ClubITR,
We use Spec C's in DC5 K20A & retain VTC function & std pistons.
It works well though great care must be taken tuning the VTC.
(too much cam angle can cause pistons to valve contact & or valve to valve contact)
(Std ECU cannot be used as cam angle is too mush & engine damage will occur)
If in doubt, use the VTC killer cam pulleys.
Power band is 3000rpm to 9000rpm
Titanium valve spring retainers are not required as maximum rpm is 9000 with std bottom end.
Using over 9000rpm with std bottom end will result in engine failure (eventually)

the cam gear that u saying is exhaust only right?is tat hard to install for that?

TODA AU
13-08-2007, 09:19 PM
It's a little more involved than fitting the std sprocket,
But if you use the OEM manual + the englich istructions supplied with product you'll have no issue.
Exhaust cam is set up using lift at TDC method,
I'll send you more details about this when it comes time for you to fit your parts.
Cheers

Adrian