PDA

View Full Version : New CTR vs Golf GTI

amato2
09-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Ok guys being looking and reading for a while now and i am seeking your professional input into both of the cars, I know that most of us including me all love the new CTR but i just wana get your opinions of the Golf GTI and if any body has driven or owned one.

Has anybody driven the Golf, How does it fare. I am looking at one red with Cream leather int. BiZeonons and sunroof 2 door. Looks awesome. But i am also looking at the CTR in Red hot little thing aswell......

Now just wondering on what people thing about the driving experience in both cars the presents of it on the road and also sound. oh n Petrol :)

im loving both cars and dont know which one to go for havent driven either but have booked too....

Are there any written up comparisons between the two yet???

ginganggooly
09-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Just so you can get a little balance into the discussion, you may want to ask the same question in the Australian section of www.vwvortex.com

amato2
09-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Cool thanks for that, Gee there is heaps of information on that site about the VW...

But yeah still would love to hear from some new CTR owners nad their thoughts on how the CTR has been so far likes Dislikes etc...??

xtercii
09-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Ok guys being looking and reading for a while now and i am seeking your professional input into both of the cars, I know that most of us including me all love the new CTR but i just wana get your opinions of the Golf GTI and if any body has driven or owned one.

In fact most of us here don't like the new CTR, actually it's been bagged the shit out of, almost.

est1989
09-08-2007, 09:53 AM
i own a golf gti 2006 model and these cars are brilliant mate... i obviously haven't driven a CTR before but for starters the main difference is the GTI is turbo... My only dislike of the GTI is that when hammering it off a stop start the wheels spin too much... i've taken this car for a quick spin down the track and it handles really well and such a comfortable car to be driving.... the gadgets it has are also remarkable automated window wipers, automated headlights...

my 2c... hope it helps

gerard
09-08-2007, 09:53 AM
I had the use of a friend's Golf GTI for a couple of weeks and loved it. esp memorable was the torque and the rapidity the revs rise when even a small throttle was applied.
Whats great also was the small backfire each time the gear shifted (its a DSG) and yet getting better than 10km/l.
A CTR has poorer torque and you will need to row the gears a lot. Not that it is difficult and the VTec howl is intoxicating but as you do not 'hoon' 95% of the time, will be tiring.
In the end, I opted for an Audi TT. Same engine as Golf, means easily chippable, butt being lighter, better accelerating and handling. Should be getting it end of this month.

ginganggooly
09-08-2007, 10:03 AM
In fact most of us here don't like the new CTR, actually it's been bagged the shit out of, almost.

Damn right... And i know the Dub is a fkn awesome car too

amato2
09-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Well thanks fore the information jsut wanted to get a little bit of info on the car and see which one is better i guess i shall see both thankyou

me_kevinly
10-08-2007, 10:22 AM
i have test drive both cars as i would like to swap to a hot hatch
the CTR is a great little sports car, it feels and sounds fast, every thing is surrounding you, its like your a pilot.
the Gti feel more comfortable and mature compare to the CTR, finishing are nice too
i think Gti are better to drive, its fast and comfortable for daily
but due to the fact the body shape has being out for two years already and
sitting next to the CTR, you can tell it has aged both in and out, also if you are like me who will add pretty much most option, it will end up costing pretty much 5k more then CTR.

also i love red and planning to get a red one too, but be aware the colour is hard to manage and swirl easily

Alpine
10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Fifth Gear's Jason Plato gave a good review about the Golf GTi compared to the Civic Type R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lY9ZGSck0I

amato2
10-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah loving the RED if i decied to get one it would most likly be a red one looks like it has real presents on the road and thats what i like... I love the GTI but yeah as you said its all ready 2 year old so compared to the just realised and funky CTR they are really different car ones classy and one is funky i guess its up to the buyer.... cant wait i am going to tommoro to c the CTR test drive too...

I wana get the Front and rear Guards for the CTR u know the optional ones seen one on the road wit them and god it makes the car even more edgier and bloody awesome looking nothing else looks the same

m0nk3y
10-08-2007, 11:00 AM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=42244&vf=14

Hot hatches: Ford Focus XR5, Honda Civic Type R, Renaultsport Megane 225, Volkswagen Golf GTI

SHould be useful for you.

Personally i'd take the GTI - more mature, more sophisticated.

if you are under 25, get the CTR, if you're over 25, the GTI is your best bet

vinnY
10-08-2007, 11:24 AM
the golf's don't look all that bad
i've been looking into getting a gti in the near future, personally the new ctr just isn't my taste(then again, this is coming from someone who thinks the ek9 is far better looking)
they don't look all that (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/iReally/Waterfest%2013/IMG_1489mod.jpg) bad (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1326/882325234_1c6099644b_o.jpg) ;)

amato2
10-08-2007, 11:37 AM
LOL cool thanks for that might be a good read,

Under 25 and CTR all out boy racer LOL

GTI Sophisticated Exec hot hatch

but yeah cant wait to go and see it tommorow nayone know how much i would be looking at on road for the CTR

CTR Coupe
10-08-2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68496
theres a few comparisons i made between the gti and ctr in this thread.

Overall the Golf is boring and plain and the seats are some of the worst I've come across after a 2 hour drive in it i came out with a sore back.

The GTI is quick and like people have said its got a lot more torque down low. but just seems a little plain.
The CTR had a great interior and the seats were great the steering felt tight

In the end I'm now looking at a second hand Audi S3.

The Gti just didn't push my buttons and the CTR wasn't that fast. but then again i never got to do a proper test drive of the Civic and after the way i was treated at the dealership I wouldn't buy one on principle.

But its not really fair to compare a brand new car with a second hand one.
The Audi S3 is 65k on road new. but it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. low down torque, handling with awd and classic stying.

P.S make sure you get the golf in leather the standard trim is gross. blech!

amato2
10-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Cool i have been reading in that thread too but havent read most of it now there are so many pages to much to read LOL...

Yeah i thinks thats what i am coming to realise as much as the GTi is awesome i would love to buy it, just the look of it is looking like every other hot Hatch wide low roof line stubby boot and large front Grill.. i am over that.

I am loving the edgyness of the CTR n the more i look at pic the more i want one LOL... N i love the Reving, reminds me of the F1, how fun huh

Loving the S3 that way my all time favorite car for ages i wanted an Orange one with the optional Raving leathre seats total Hotness....

But i am buying a Block of land too so a bit out of my price range ATM... gr8 car though

CTR Coupe
10-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Cool i have been reading in that thread too but havent read most of it now there are so many pages to much to read LOL...

Yeah i thinks thats what i am coming to realise as much as the GTi is awesome i would love to buy it, just the look of it is looking like every other hot Hatch wide low roof line stubby boot and large front Grill.. i am over that.

I am loving the edgyness of the CTR n the more i look at pic the more i want one LOL... N i love the Reving, reminds me of the F1, how fun huh

Loving the S3 that way my all time favorite car for ages i wanted an Orange one with the optional Raving leathre seats total Hotness....

But i am buying a Block of land too so a bit out of my price range ATM... gr8 car though

I'm looking at second hand S3s for slightly less money than the GTI/CTR with about 30-50k on the clock.

I think the CTR has a "wow" factor about it. It looks like a new car the golf is starting to date slightly and doesn't have the civics extreme styling. that being said there were a few things on the CTR that felt cheep. especially the petrol cap and the door handles.

edit heres my post in the thread GTI vs. CTR
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1253355&postcount=476

Theres is a bit of discussion on the few pages following that post pages 40-45

stix
10-08-2007, 03:17 PM
nayone know how much i would be looking at on road for the CTR

i've been quoted 43,800 AUD incl reg, delivery, stampduty

Vinnie
10-08-2007, 03:35 PM
i think the latest 'motor' had a ctr vs gti vs 3mps comparo in it. they gave the gong to the gti iirc...

jords
10-08-2007, 04:06 PM
What about the VW R32?

m0nty ITR
10-08-2007, 06:28 PM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=42244&vf=14

Hot hatches: Ford Focus XR5, Honda Civic Type R, Renaultsport Megane 225, Volkswagen Golf GTI

SHould be useful for you.

Personally i'd take the GTI - more mature, more sophisticated.

if you are under 25, get the CTR, if you're over 25, the GTI is your best bet

Hmmm, I drive a GTI for work and have a DC5R. I'm 28 btw. I'm stuck in my youth I think. The GTI is a great daily driver. The ITR is the fun car. I haven't driven the CTR yet but I've heard it's fairly detached for a Type R experience. Just drive both and remind yourself of your driving routine. Too many people get caught up in the moment and 3 months down the track rue manual gearboxes, noisy cars and bumpy suspension. Keep this in mind when looking at any hot hatch, if you want sophistication and performance, GTI is the only option in my opinion.

m0nty ITR
10-08-2007, 06:32 PM
What about the VW R32?

It's in another pirce range and can be very underwhelming if you drive in high traffic areas. I only recommend it if you see the value of 4Motion, the sound and drive open roads occasionally. If you don't see 15k in that (which most people don't) the GTI is the better option. It's not much slower anyway. The R32 has 184kW, 320nm @2750-3250rpm and weighs over 1,500kgs. The GTI has 147kW and better torque delivery of 280nm @ 1750-5000rpm and weighs 1,350kgs. It's certainly never left in the R32s wake. Add an APR reflash and you have an STI and Evo killer.