PDA

View Full Version : jazz peculiarities

dc
21-07-2004, 12:53 AM
everyone seem to be put off by the rear drums....and so was i.....
so rather than speculate, i asked...

i was told that honda tried discs but found they locked up easier than the drums...and u know the rest.
sound believable?

Also, has anyone noticed the gli and vti have a smaller turning diam than the vti-s in the specs?
wonder if its the wider tyres or somethin in the eps like someone suggested?

wyl03
21-07-2004, 09:16 AM
i dunno about the rationale behind honda's decision.

after all .. i believe the first generation of CRV came with rear drums too. so did the current Civic GLI a few years back.

don't quite understand what you mean by locking up? shouldn't the ABS prevent that?

Kit
21-07-2004, 10:52 AM
well at the end of the day, I think its all to do with cost cutting...

the front brakes do like 90% of the braking and this car was never meant to be a performance car so drums at the rear should suffice...
its really on the track where rear disks become important.

about ABS, yes, it should stop the rear wheels from locking up but only if it is a 4 channel ABS system. I'm assuming the Jazz only has a 2 channel abs system.

Chris

Jus-10
21-07-2004, 12:50 PM
The updated Jazz/Fit now has rear disc brakes so I don't think the stealers explanation is justifiable. I also don't think that locking up easily is a good explanation for not fitting them either as this would be relatively easy to adjust.

As for the difference in turning circles between the GLi/VTi and the VTi-S, it all comes down to the wheels and the setting of the EPS. On full-lock, the VTi-S can't turn as far as the other 2 because of its larger wheels. A restriction was placed on the EPS to stop the wheels rubbing on the inner guard.

Kit
21-07-2004, 12:56 PM
shyte.
when is the new updated jazz being released? should we have waited?!

Jus-10
21-07-2004, 01:02 PM
hehe...rumour has it that it may be coming out around October. It was released in Japan in June (on the 6th from memory).

Nothing has been confirmed for Australia yet - I even contacted Honda Australia and they said they couldn't tell me....

Should you have waited? I guess it depends. We don't even know what specs we will get here, but they will definately have restyled front and rear lights (the rears with LEDs) and slightly different front and rear bars. The interior design is a bit different too with different coloured lighting for the dash and a revised stereo (it looks much nicer actually).

The uncertainties for Oz are the rear discs (they don't come on all models), climate control and xenon headlights. I don't think we will get these as even an option as they were available on the pre-update in Japan but were never offered out here (except the rear discs)....

Kit
21-07-2004, 02:06 PM
hey if you guys check out the honda UK site, there is a new car "coming soon"
it looks like the jazz, but its called something else: FR-V

is that it?

fueltank
21-07-2004, 02:15 PM
drums are cheaper than discs.
[acronym:ff9136c866="Australian Domestic Market"]AUDM[/acronym:ff9136c866] models are always short changed.
Perhaps they'll introduce rear discs with the improved exchange rate?

Jus-10
21-07-2004, 02:57 PM
I believe this is the new Honda you are referring too Kit:

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto/

Maybe it is...it's the only new Honda I am aware of, but it's called the Edix....

dc
21-07-2004, 04:00 PM
the closest thing i know of the update is the jazz classic that should be here round aug apparently. Comes with alloys, new grille and rear tailgate albeit +$1000 over std.

I reckon the current front bar looks better than the 'other' front bar anyway....if thats what the updated front bars gonna be.

ABS is apparently 4 channel.
I hear everyone says its got EBD but its not mentioned in any aus brochures or website?

wyl03
21-07-2004, 04:23 PM
"I hear everyone says its got EBD but its not mentioned in any aus brochures or website?"

that's what i'm trying to find out too. read some aussie car reviews mentioning the EBD but i cannot find any "formal" honda documents/brochures explaining this.

Kit
21-07-2004, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty sure i read about EBD on the honda website

Kit
21-07-2004, 04:33 PM
here you go:
http://www.honda.com.au/showroom1/jazz/index.htm

wyl03
22-07-2004, 10:45 AM
thanks mate. any info on how the EBD works? :D

Kit
22-07-2004, 11:24 AM
no idea!
I'm only assuming its similar to the EBD system found in the 200sx.
i.e. if you say step on the brake say 70%, the car realises that you really are trying to brake bloody hard, so it applies max braking force for you.

or it could apply more braking force to one wheel depending on grip on that wheel?!

thats only my guess tho!

FIT
22-07-2004, 11:23 PM
i tought the only way you know how the ebd works is when you hit the brakes when going at high/low speed but instead of going slower for braking the gears are automatically placed in nuteral which led the car using its engine braking which slows down the car dramatically.

Dont know maybe im wrong!

Kit
22-07-2004, 11:29 PM
hmm don't think so mate.
if the car went into neutral, there would be no engine braking!
and if thats the case, then EBD on a manual car would be pointless right?

coladuna
23-07-2004, 12:08 AM
the closest thing i know of the update is the jazz classic that should be here round aug apparently. Comes with alloys, new grille and rear tailgate albeit +$1000 over std.

Uh, Jazz Classic is already out I think. I saw an ad on newspaper.

Kit
23-07-2004, 12:14 AM
which newspaper was this?
what differences does it have? and price?

coladuna
23-07-2004, 12:43 PM
It was advertised on my local newspaper by Southside Honda in Brisbane.
It says the price is from $16,990 for manual, which is supposed to have $700 extra value.
The extras include
- alloy wheels
- fog lamps
- meter visor (what's this?)
- classic decal

Kit
23-07-2004, 01:10 PM
oh that doesnt sound like its the updated jazz.

probably just a limited run of the jazz that have some extras thrown in..
kinda like when honda made the GP special on the EK CXi Civic, which was just a yellow cxi with some extras thrown in.

wynode
23-07-2004, 01:23 PM
[acronym:649c918bbf="Electronic Brakeforce Distribution"]EBD[/acronym:649c918bbf] control the ratio of front/rear braking bias. In cars without [acronym:649c918bbf="Electronic Brakeforce Distribution"]EBD[/acronym:649c918bbf] the distribution is fixed.