PDA

View Full Version : clutch question

ekslut
21-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Hello,
I was wondering if the clutch and flywheel out of a hydraulic transmission is that same as the clutch and flywheel out of a cable transmission? Coz I have a fairly new clutch and flywheel that I got for my EK4, but am swapping to a older car with a cable transmission and want to know if I can still use it.

Thanks for any help anyone is able to give.

[[d a n n y]]
21-07-2004, 09:48 AM
well yes u can use it but ur gonna have to modify to suit it..

like the clutch...pedal and so on

bennjamin
21-07-2004, 12:18 PM
No you cant - even if it is possible - there are reasons why manufacturers make clutches for certain models/engines and applications.

Just save your time + money and purchase a clutch to suit your new(old) engine.

ekslut
21-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I can't be stuffed messing around trying to get it fit. Its going to get some abuse anyways, so I want something thats going to be safe and do what its meant to. Sounds like I need to buy a new clutch. Thanks for the info

ekslut
21-07-2004, 02:12 PM
By the way, will the flywheel fit, or will I need to get a new one too?

tinkerbell
22-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if the clutch and flywheel out of a hydraulic transmission is that same as the clutch and flywheel out of a cable transmission? Coz I have a fairly new clutch and flywheel that I got for my EK4, but am swapping to a older car with a cable transmission and want to know if I can still use it.

Thanks for any help anyone is able to give.

no offence to the above posters, but both of you should know better than to post mis-information

---
OK - a B series flywheel will bolt up to ANY B series crank.

the only difference between cable and hydro tranny is the input shaft spline diameter...

so all you have to do is match the input shaft to the clutch disk as well as matching the 'throwout' or 'release' bearing to the input shaft.

so if you REALLY want to keep the clutch, you *could* re-use the pressure plate but will need a new clutch disk and new release bearing to suit your cable tranny. so it is not really worth it...

the pilot bearing (the one in the flywheel) is the same...

ekslut
22-07-2004, 01:30 PM
cool, thanks for the info tinkerbell. So ill get myself a new clutch and keep my flywheel. Seems like the easiest and best way to do it.

Thanks