PDA

View Full Version : dc4 thermo fan switch problem

cyberscryed
10-08-2007, 12:09 PM
aight ive got a problem with my dc4 where when im sitting at the lights my engines starts to over heat and then when i drive off its starts to cool back down. o k ive searched this throughout the forum and ive come to a conclusion that my thermo fan temp switch is dead, what i would like to know is how i replace or fix the damn thing is it an easy job where i can just DIY it or is it something i should take to the mechanic. oh and after i have done this do you guys recommend that i change the thermostat aswell, if so where do i find a oem one.

cheers

destrukshn
10-08-2007, 12:13 PM
don't have to take it to a mechanic.
but it does require a big socket for it, or spanner i should say.
easy as really.
since your there
might as well change your thermostat.
oem you find at your local honda parts department.
=)

JamB
10-08-2007, 01:40 PM
thermo stat is $55 bucks from honda dealer

16CTEG
10-08-2007, 02:16 PM
sounds to me like a thermostat problem not the switch!!

cyberscryed
10-08-2007, 06:15 PM
ummm o k could i get instructions or a diy on how to replace/repair my thermo temp switch

well my problem is when im at the lights or just sitting in traffic my car will start to overheat past the middle of the meter and then when i start driving again its starts to cool down to the right point (just a little under the half way point). im not sure if its the thermo fan switch or not but from what ive read on the forums thats the problem, oh and another thing to add my fans are all in working order i think. its on while im on D(drive) and ofcourse its not on when i just start the car...

soo yeah if anyone else thinks that these symtoms may be another problem any infomation is helpful so your help will be greatly appriciated.

thanks in advance

ECU-MAN
11-08-2007, 11:02 AM
thermo fan switch is easy as to replace,

make sure engine is cold, ( no pressure in radiator ) open the cap to make sure them put it back on

unplge the thermo temp switch ( on the thermostate housing )

unscrew it with correct tool ( as mentioned above big socket or spaner )

put that permatex gasket goo on thread of new thermo switch

fit new thermo switch. be carefull not to overtighten it.

plug in cable

thats it

Zilli
11-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Simple when the car is getting hot either TURN DOWN THE RADIO and listen or pull over in a safe spot and get out and see if the fan is running.... if it's not then it's either the fan or most likely the fan switch.

very good!

do this before you make assumptions on whether its the fan switch, or easier still, let the car idle until you see the fan come on, obviously checking the temp as you do it

cyberscryed
13-08-2007, 11:49 PM
i figured out it that it wasnt the fan switch, because all my fans were working at their appropriate times. So i went to check if there was anything else wrong with the car like i always do because there always seems like something is wrong with the damn thing. anyways i found out that my radiator cap had some pieces cracked so i went to the auto shop and bought a new radiator cap and it all seems as if the tempreture problem is fixed now...
but now it seems like the car takes forever to warm up even while im driving it takes at least 15- 20 minutes to warm up to its appropriate level whilst im actually driving im currently getting a little less than 300kms on a full tank on my auto dc4.... :thumbdwn::thumbdwn: and the only things i have on my car are 17inch wheels and an apexi air filter. i think the problem may be with the thermostat so im going to change it tommorrow. if anyone thinks the problem lays elsewhere please feel free to post.

o and sooo for the uber long post...

dsp26
14-08-2007, 08:38 PM
check if one hose is noticably cooler than the other... should be the thermostat housing one... and the other one should be hotter.

If this is the case then it is a seized/dying thermostat... and reason fan won't turn is coz the switch is on the thermo housing side where it's cooler...

cyberscryed
16-08-2007, 11:13 AM
its all sweet now i changed ther thermostat two days ago for some reason my old thermostat didnt have the springy thing on it, it was just like a ring. i guess it broke or something from bad maintenence so yeah everything Seems fine now hopefully my fuel consumption should be better now thanks to everyone for the advice :thumbsup: