PDA

View Full Version : auntys car wont start

rivergod
11-08-2007, 10:04 AM
i dont think its the batteries. she hasnt used it for 2 months.

when she turned the key the engine started then it just died. the radio still works along with the lights but now when you turn the ignition it just clicks and clicks and clicks...

thanks!

oh btw its an ek sedan

qstoria
11-08-2007, 10:26 AM
i dont think its the batteries. she hasnt used it for 2 months.

2 months without use is plenty of time to kill a battery. especially if there has been some colder nights. i know one cold night can kill an older battery.

start with some basic things. you've said the lights work so the battery isnt fully dead. how about push starting or jump starting it? they would be your easiest fixes for something like this.

if they dont work then try another car battery instead. that way u know if its the battery or something else before you spend money on a new battery.

Kiz_EG6
11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah man, sounds like it's the battery, probably has enough guts to light up the headlights, but not to crank her over.
It probably stalled out the 1st time just because it's been sitting around for a few months, always takes a little bit to get fluids etc running back through!!

rwq358
11-08-2007, 11:29 AM
should be the battery, same happens to me last week. Change the batterey and it works fine again.

lines
11-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Did the same thing to mine. Went overseas a few months and left it to my parents to keep it ticking over. They didn't and my new battery was dead by the time i got back. Jump started it and gave it a good run on freeway to charge up the battery and get the fluids moving again. If it's a older battery you might want to check the fluids inside & top up if required and while your at it make sure the terminals are clean and screwed on tight. Cheers. Nathan

OMG.JAI xD
12-08-2007, 06:37 PM
you can always just roll it down a hill and clutch start ..
i mean you have enough power to turn radio and headlights on, shud b enough to cope with ignition.

i mean .. that is of course if its a manual.
althought jump starting WOULD be the easier way to go ..

Limbo
13-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Jump start the car and let it run for 1/2 and hr driving or idling or Get a battery charger or borrow one. The clicking noise is the battery struggling to turn the starter motor.

P.S check the water level of battery before you do all this just in case