PDA

View Full Version : is this knock brake noise?

dudeling7
11-08-2007, 01:28 PM
hey guys, i have a integra and recently the front left of the car around the wheel area makes a knocking or creacking noise when i go on the breaks.

i can only hear the noise at low speeds and it seems to follow the rotation of the wheel. i know its not cv's because it doesnt happen when turning etc only under braking.

could this be brake pads work out or a warped rotor or somethign similar??

thanks

Paul1985
11-08-2007, 02:19 PM
check how much meat is on the pads.. could be the wear indicator.
check the condition of discs and pads whilst doing this..

If its not pads it could be your wheel bearings.. while the cars on stands/jack give the wheel where the noise is coming from a spin with your hands, hows it sound??

Sounds like worn brake pads to me though.

Zilli
11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
a wheel bearing sound wont really be clicking it will be continuous and follow the speed of the rotation of wheels, and not confined to low speeds. It will be a roaring booming kinda sound, kinda like a really noisy tyre...

I would be checking your brakes, specifically the mounting points for your hubs or calipers, as sometimes they will shift around.

It could be something as simple as the pads shofting in the calipers.

dudeling7
11-08-2007, 10:35 PM
thanks will check out the pads and brakes asap, they are prob due for a change now.

anyone reccomend good aftermarket brake pads? mainly for street use but slightly better for the occassional track day?

moshimooks
21-08-2007, 01:12 AM
yeah i have this same problem on my dc5 interga after i had my brake disc re grinded and new break pads. Now at low speeds generally at the start of lift off at the same point as well as reversing and 3point turning it will make a knocking sound, very annoying and does not sound good for the car. Took it back to the mechanics who did my breaks, they kinda blamed it on my super lows springs, and tried to sell me new springs and pretty much put the car back to stock height, but i do not think its the spring problem, as never had that problem b4.

dudeling7
21-08-2007, 01:42 AM
mine has really died down a bit? either im guessing it was my break pads or maybe the disc was slightly warped and now smoothed down a bit?

omgzilla
31-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Your brake discs, once warped, will not return to their original perfect form. They'll stay warped.

Sometimes at usually low speeds, the brake pad will actually repeatedly shimmy itself around in the caliper as its going between biting into the disc (friction) and sliding against the discs (and vice-versa) on brake application and give off a grinding/whirring noise.

This can usually be overcome with a decent brake grease (on the back of the pad - to help buffer the noise.

I'd also check for play in your ball joints also - (jack car up and try to wiggle your wheel up and down and also left to right in a quick jolting motion) check for excessive play/movement or visual signs of cracking etc. They would definitely make a creaking/clicking sound when under load.

Hope this helps. :)

Jezzah
26-11-2007, 02:24 PM
i'd give the rotors a check, making sure its flat. i had this noise in my DC2R, and realised the rotor lips needed to be machined, and that resolved the issue.

Limbo
26-11-2007, 06:39 PM
check engine mounts could have a crack engine mount

omgzilla
26-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Come to think of it my EK4 has similar symptoms... My knock is caused by busted castor/compression arm bushes. Haha