PDA

View Full Version : When is it time for a rebuild / engine swap?

94vti-r
12-08-2007, 10:25 PM
I've got a Integra Vti-R, and its coming up to its 280k service. and i've started thinking, when is it the time for a engine rebuild? (km wise), or should i just replace the engine rather than rebuilding it.

so, i decided to put it to the people for their opinions, story's and suggestions.

Thanks

Rivic
12-08-2007, 10:29 PM
if its still going strong y bother! :) hondas are a grwatly built engine and 280 odd k's doesn't really bother them, when u start using oil etc tahts when id look at a rebuild, with that many k's when u do ur service make sure u get ur timmin belt, breaks, collant and everyhitng replaced :)

czy_sol87
12-08-2007, 10:39 PM
damm thats heaps of kms, i hope mine last that long
but yeh as above as long as the engine is running smoothly with out any major problem, it should be fine

94vti-r
12-08-2007, 10:41 PM
yeah, it just a major service now. and the thing is still running sweet. The timing belt swap isn't coming up for a while. and i know honda engines are excellent as long as u take care of them and service regularly, as i have.

My boss didnt take care of his prelude and the engine blew.

b18c_crx
12-08-2007, 11:11 PM
it doesnt really matter bout how many k's ur car does all that matters of the conditions its in.

ZeForce
12-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Get a leak down and compression test, probably the best way to see how well everything is still sealing. If it your engine has low cylinder pressures or excessive leakage then perhaps it's time for a rebuild.

Zdster
13-08-2007, 10:09 AM
I agree with everyone above. It makes little difference on the number of km's, but rather the condition. If the condition is good dont bother. That being said, if you are going to change your timing belt and other bits at your next service (300,000 will be a big one) then it is probably more cost effective to do the swap then.

Limbo
13-08-2007, 11:30 AM
That's why most of us drive honda and not Bitsrshitty cars. Its good to see the quality of the hondas.

But to your question just be careful of engine replacement and make sure you get the engine compression tested. its sometimes hard to pick a good engine. With a rebuild you always know that the engine is in good nick so long as you get a good rebuild, maybe even up to another 280K!

But if nothings wrong just keep going!

Zdster
13-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I remember reading about an integra that had over half a million miles :). As long as they are well looked after they can be great cars.

teh_mechanic
14-08-2007, 09:47 PM
honda's build quility is amazing, looked after properly your engine should be fine,just watch for oil usage, smoke blowing and noises etc ofcourse