PDA

View Full Version : To Idle or Not To Idle? that is the Question...

DUST
13-08-2007, 09:43 AM
So what are your views in this matter? In a town in USA has made it illegal to idle your car.

Do you guys do it? Whats your reason?

Me I don't do it, my car manual told me not to idle for more than 1 min, even in the coldest weather!

Zdster
13-08-2007, 10:06 AM
What do you mean by idle? I gather you mean warming your car up rather then letting the car sit in neutral?

DUST
13-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Idle as in warming it up or let it sit in one spot for too long.

Zdster
13-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Personally, I drive my car straight away after turning it over. I just make sure that I drive it sensibly until it is warm. Re letting the car idle in one spot, how long are you talking about? The only reason I dont tend to do it is it eats up fuel so might as well turn the engine off.

SPEEDCORE
13-08-2007, 11:09 AM
The only reason I let my car idle for 15-20 secs when starting in the morning is purely to make sure I got good oil pressure.. before taking off gently.

These people who complain about emissions from idling cars I bet are the same jackarses that on early on Sunday mornings have their petrol garden vac cranking..... while not knowing that those things have been shown to pump out more CO2 and unburnt hydrocarbons in 5 mins than your average car puts out in a 30 min drive.

Limbo
13-08-2007, 11:21 AM
My car runs like crap when cold so i always warm it up for at least 2 mins.
You should at least give it 60sec to get all the internals all lubed before driving off. Anything over 5mins is overkill and just wastes petrol

xenonkuraz
13-08-2007, 11:48 AM
I like to start up my car before I go to the toilet, and when I'm done it's time to go :)

DUST
13-08-2007, 02:01 PM
I just started up this thread so people can be more aware about what they are doing to their cars and mainly the environment.

This aint really a noob question or some sort. Just wanted to spread out the message with that article.

I got a friend who drives a 2001 dc2R and he would idle his car or any of his family's car for 5 mins max then drive off. I have told him repeatedly to not idle so long, but my words doesn't mean much to him...

code-87
13-08-2007, 08:33 PM
i use to idle for 5mins
i kno better now

JDM.ITR
13-08-2007, 08:42 PM
i idle for at least 10 mins with my sileighty and 5 mins with my DC2R

krogoth
13-08-2007, 08:52 PM
lol? 10min

i idle 2 minz on freezing mornings, of course after idling, i dont go off hitting vtec, and 8k shifting, drive the car very gently until at least 10min after starting

as with limbo, the car feels terrible until it has warmed up a little at least

the gear bos is annoying, the clutch is too sticky, very strange throttle response, everything is just plain weird until properly warmed up

aaronng
13-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Idling is not enough to warm up the engine oil. That's why I just start the car, take the next 30 seconds to put on my seat belt and put the items in my pocket into the cup holder compartment before driving off with gentle throttle and no high RPM. No point letting it idle for 5 minutes as the coolant gets warm but the engine oil and transmission is still cold.

TheGoodDeal
13-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I idling my car for 30sec or 1 min (when very cold morning) sometime a bit more than that when I have to use bucket water to defost all the windows.
I remember many years ago a TV program have been cover some research in this topic. I'm still remember they said with EFI engine and better oil technlogy we don't need to Idle engine for long period like old carby (with choke) engine.

JDM.ITR
13-08-2007, 09:09 PM
lol? 10min

i idle 2 minz on freezing mornings, of course after idling, i dont go off hitting vtec, and 8k shifting, drive the car very gently until at least 10min after starting

the gear bos is annoying, the clutch is too sticky, very strange throttle response, everything is just plain weird until properly warmed up

yeah 10 mins cause its an older engine iron block takes longer

chunky
13-08-2007, 09:17 PM
lol? 10min

i lol'd

dun u have to get the oil and coolant running n shiz b4 u drive off?
especialy on cold days

krogoth
13-08-2007, 09:30 PM
i lol'd

especialy on cold days

u get the coolant moving, i dont think the oil will warm up much, or any other parts until uve been driving for a few minutes at least

i just warm up for a minute simply cos it feels better, and it reverses up the driveway easier

the clutch is such a pain in the ass in the cold

aaronng
13-08-2007, 09:31 PM
i lol'd

especialy on cold days

You can't get the oil hot just by idling the engine.

krogoth
13-08-2007, 09:31 PM
yeah 10 mins cause its an older engine iron block takes longer

not really, i got an 05 d17

the whole ten minutes of driving before 5-6k shifting is maybe a little excessive, but i dont think a newer engine can get completley warmed up after a freezing night in less than 10minutes

aaronng
13-08-2007, 09:45 PM
not really, i got an 05 d17

the whole ten minutes of driving before 5-6k shifting is maybe a little excessive, but i dont think a newer engine can get completley warmed up after a freezing night in less than 10minutes

Yeah. People always mistake the coolant temperature gauge as an "engine temperature gauge" or an "oil temperature gauge".

DUST
14-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Please spread the word to idiots who idle for too long, if they don't listen punch them in the face!

TheGoodDeal
14-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Let do quick calculation for Idling 10min every day to see how much will cost you per year

* 10 min Idling consume 0.5 L of pettrol (Holden Vectra show 3 L /hour when warm up Idling)
* 365 days/ per year
* $1.20 / L of petrol

Cost= 0.5 * 365 * 1.20 = $219 per year

DUST
14-08-2007, 03:50 PM
What about wear and tear of engine or other parts of the car, and also calculate the carbon you produce from idling etc...

$219 can go into 1 month of petrol! or MODS!

Anyone who idles for 10 mins is an idiot anyways...

JDM.ITR
14-08-2007, 05:34 PM
What about wear and tear of engine or other parts of the car, and also calculate the carbon you produce from idling etc...

$219 can go into 1 month of petrol! or MODS!

Anyone who idles for 10 mins is an idiot anyways...

punch me in the face
i idle for 10mins

what are you gonna do ? its very easy to call ppl idiot n sh*t when your behind a computer !

think before you post

krogoth
14-08-2007, 06:35 PM
^^lmao

relax max

he just feels strongly about this

now u know ther are good reasons not to idle for 10 mins

rather, its not necessary to idle for 10min

JDM.ITR
14-08-2007, 06:45 PM
^^lmao

relax max

he just feels strongly about this

now u know ther are good reasons not to idle for 10 mins

rather, its not necessary to idle for 10min

haha im relaxed all good in tha hood =D

DUST
14-08-2007, 07:12 PM
punch me in the face
i idle for 10mins

what are you gonna do ? its very easy to call ppl idiot n sh*t when your behind a computer !

think before you post

LOL!!!

I wasn't even pointing fingers man, i was just going on from the last post...

Take a VT@k chill pill yo!