PDA

View Full Version : Spare Key Issues

mmmsxc
13-08-2007, 01:58 PM
hi guys. just bought a spare blank key for my 06 euro as i only have 1 key for my car. just wondering where i could get it cut? have called a local locksmith and he asked me if the key had a code on it, which i quite didnt understand what he meant. i spoke to honda and they said it costs $75 to program the key to the car, but they wont cut it for me. so what do i do?

kid_dynamite
13-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a transponder key, i.e. one which has a chip inside to disable the vehicle immobiliser.

Getting the key to work is a two step process:
1) Cutting the key to match your ignition barrel
2) Programming the key to work with your immobiliser

To be able to use the key fully, you need to do both. If you just do step 1 (cut the key), you can use it to open doors, but it won't start the car. If you do 1+2, it will be a fully functioning key.

I have called a local locksmith and he asked me if the key had a code on it, which i quite didnt understand what he meant
On the original key there should be a serial on it (e.g. four numbers). If the locksmith has this serial, they can punch it into their computers and have the blank laser cut. If the serial isn't on the key (I'm not familiar with the CL9), Honda may have given you a separate tag when you bought the car. Otherwise you can bring in another key, and they will cut the pattern manually.
This is step 1 that I mentioned above.

i spoke to honda and they said it costs $75 to program the key to the car, but they wont cut it for me.
This is step 2 that I mentioned above.

What you'd usually do is get someone to cut the blank key into shape (e.g locksmith), then take the key into Honda and they'll program it to match your immobiliser. Your dealer may be able to advise who can do it, or they may be able to sort it out totally for you.

mmmsxc
13-08-2007, 02:32 PM
thanks heaps for that. really helpful.

tron07
13-08-2007, 02:53 PM
most key shops have the machine/device to read the code and copy it to the new key... but with the euro, you got the alarm thingy on the key itself....

fraqqie
13-08-2007, 11:20 PM
it'll cost you alot cheaper if you took the route of buying the key yourself from the spare parts desk, going to your local locksmith to cut the key for you and then getting honda to program it

i got quote 500 bucks to have the key precut using my VIN details and have it shipped from melbourne.

yet doing the approached i mentioned about i save myself approx 200 bucks, it's been awhile but significant enough to say "wow... that's alot of money that i saved"

tip: different dealers charge different rates for programming the key, so do shop around =)

Suntzu
14-08-2007, 09:53 AM
I lost my second key. What do the dealers "normallly" charge for a new key?

fraqqie
14-08-2007, 10:34 AM
a valet key would be much cheaper than the one with all the buttons

i got blank key (with remote buttons) from peter warren honda for about 220

definitely go the route of cutting your own key and then getting honda involved by letting the program the key for you

i think there's instructions for programming the keys yourself on the tsx forums but it's up to you whether you want to take a shot at it yourself =)

mmmsxc
14-08-2007, 01:00 PM
anywhere in melbourne u could suggest to me where i could get it cut?

tron07
14-08-2007, 02:15 PM
probably can get the locksmith to program it for you too... i know 2 place in Syd that does it....

when I bought my old civic, only got 1 key, no red key, the few honda dealer I went say need to change the whole keys, immobiliser, etc... cause lost the red key. Cost $2k++, one of the mechanic told me he can do it for me for $200, non honda key. I did it myself for $120.

fraqqie
14-08-2007, 04:36 PM
hahahaha if you're in my neighbourhood i would've hooked you up to my cabramatta locksmith... i made the job a whole lot easier by parking the car outside his shop so he could check up on his job

ummm... just take it to any decent locksmith and they'll tell you whether or not they can do it

i got quoted about $20, that should be a guide to how much you do yours

drftr
14-08-2007, 08:06 PM
whats the cheapest anyones gotten on an official key blank with the remote buttons?

aaronng
15-08-2007, 10:03 PM
There are quite a few blanks for sale on ebay.

aaronng
15-08-2007, 10:05 PM
most key shops have the machine/device to read the code and copy it to the new key... but with the euro, you got the alarm thingy on the key itself....
The remote is easy to program yourself.

Keyless Entry Transmitter Programming
Storing transmitter codes:
The codes of up to three transmitters can be stored into the keyless receiver unit memory. (If a fourth code is stored, the code which was input first will be erased.)

NOTE: It is important to maintain the time limits between the steps. Make sure the doors, the hood and the tailgate are closed.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
2. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver by the power window master switch.
3. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch OFF.
4. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
5. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver by the power window master switch.
6. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch OFF.
7. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
8. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver by the power window master switch.
9. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch OFF.
10. Within 4 sec, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
11. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver by the power window master switch.
12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators. within 1 to 4 sec, push the transmitter lock or unlock button again.
13. Within 10 sec, aim the transmitters (up to two additional ones) whose codes you want to store at the keyless receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons.
Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.
14. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and pull out the key.
15. Confirm proper operation with the transmitters.

SPQR
15-08-2007, 10:18 PM
The remote is easy to program yourself.

I assume that the key in the ignition is not the one whose code is being recorded by the receiver.

aaronng
15-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I assume that the key in the ignition is not the one whose code is being recorded by the receiver.

It's the remote that is being programmed, not the immobiliser chip in the key. For our Euro, the remote is integrated into the key. For other countries, the remote is separate from the key. The instructions is for the UK Accord, but it is the same remote. if you want, you can remove the screw on your key, open it and take out the remote module (it is self contained).

mmmsxc
16-08-2007, 12:41 PM
thanks for that. would try out myself before i take it to a honda dealer and save myself $40

aaronng
16-08-2007, 02:06 PM
thanks for that. would try out myself before i take it to a honda dealer and save myself $40

Yes, try programming your blank remote first. If it works, then it is money saved. Then all you have to do is get the key cut and the immobiliser chip programmed.

fraqqie
16-08-2007, 11:47 PM
can you really get the blank keys from ebay?

is this from the american eBay site?

aaronng
17-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah, the sellers are located in the US. Look for the Accord key. Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-04-HONDA-ACCORD-OEM-REMOTE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-KEY-FOB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33723QQihZ001QQitem Z110159981547QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

tknova
17-08-2007, 07:02 AM
I probaly shouldn't post here about this. But i do have a spare key for my old euro, that has been written off about 1 year ago.

If anybody is interested it is for sale. Just PM.

traumatized
17-08-2007, 09:33 AM
I probaly shouldn't post here about this. But i do have a spare key for my old euro, that has been written off about 1 year ago.

the key itself will be useless to anyone that purchases it as the the cut on the key will not match with the barrel of another euro.

only the remote will be of use to anyone that would like to buy the key.

correct me if i'm wrong anyone

aaronng
17-08-2007, 12:44 PM
the key itself will be useless to anyone that purchases it as the the cut on the key will not match with the barrel of another euro.

only the remote will be of use to anyone that would like to buy the key.

correct me if i'm wrong anyone

:thumbsup:

mmmsxc
17-08-2007, 01:42 PM

just out of curiousity do u get your car serviced at westside honda?

tknova
17-08-2007, 05:15 PM
just out of curiousity do u get your car serviced at westside honda?

Yeh, i do, Do you work around there or something?

mmmsxc
17-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeh, i do, Do you work around there or something?

i get my car serviced there as well. when i was there getting my 10 000 kms service done, which was about may, your car was in the car park waiting to be picked up.

tknova
20-08-2007, 06:20 PM
ahhh, sweet as. There pretty good at westside honda.. Good too see another one from the west! :)

panda[cRx]
31-08-2007, 12:54 PM
It's the remote that is being programmed, not the immobiliser chip in the key. For our Euro, the remote is integrated into the key. For other countries, the remote is separate from the key. The instructions is for the UK Accord, but it is the same remote. if you want, you can remove the screw on your key, open it and take out the remote module (it is self contained).

you would still need the immobiliser programming. it would be the same cost anyway (at least at my dealership) so you are going to extra effort and not saving any money :confused:

destrukshn
31-08-2007, 01:18 PM
i can supply blank euro key+remote for $150
lol.

tony1234
31-08-2007, 06:04 PM
i can supply blank euro key+remote for $150
lol.
That's good to know.

kupang
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
i need a spare key can anyone supply or recommendation to get from.
any cheapest way to get the key program and working because i got a qoute from collins honda its around $285

GAZOOM
05-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I just called a lock smith to get a spare key cut that can start the car and open the door via the key hole for $120 bucks.

He said it will cost $340 for a fully programmed key with the buttons to open the doors and boot.

edras
05-12-2012, 11:56 PM
you can buy a blank honda key off ebay $7 and get it cut $15.
I got a genuine 3 button key with remote that I can sell $100 + postage if anyone is interested in the remote & transponder.
you can easily reprogram the remote to open doors, boot & windows by yourself. it has been tested as working. it is a complete key / remote including battery & transponder for immobiliser.
the immobiliser transponder you need special tools to reprogram.