PDA

View Full Version : Modifying catbacks - Good or bad?

patto
13-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok I am looking at a few exhausts for my EM1 but a majority of them only fit hatchbacks, so obviously it's going to need extending a little to fit properly. My problem is that since these exhausts are all incredibly expensive I am a bit worried about modifying them. Will modifying a high end catback cause much of a change in the exhaust? (1 of the exhausts is titanium, so this might be a problem) or is it totally harmless?

vinnY
14-08-2007, 01:58 PM
it would probably lose its value and no way some exhaust shop is going to match the weld quality done from factory on aftermarket catbacks

i'm sure theres an em1 alternative of whatever catback you're after

bennjamin
14-08-2007, 02:27 PM
dont modify an expensive jap-brand cat back. Sell it and buy something to suit your car OR make one up.

FYI a cat-back is pretty much exactly the same no matter what brand or material. ITs the type of size and bends ( press bent or mandrel bent) that make it work.

_FeRiO_
14-08-2007, 02:44 PM
i got a dc2r rmo1a for my em1. they need to add a few inches to it as it was a bit short. otherwise it works fine.

Limbo
15-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Just get a muffler on get the cat back made up. its not worth modding one.

patto
15-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I've found a direct bolt on catback for the EM1, so I am gonna go for that. So all is good