PDA

View Full Version : Help - Milky Oil Inside Oil Cap

TheGoodDeal
13-08-2007, 06:17 PM
I try to search but coudn't find similar symptom.
The oil cap had a bit Milky color oil inside it. I check the coolant there are no coolant lost or oil in it. The engine do not overheat. I check the dipstick there aren't any milky color in it. I clean the oil cap and check after few days later there aren't any milky oil. But it reappear again after two weeks. So what wrong with the engine. Thanks!!

aaronng
13-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Very small coolant leak then. Probably the headgasket.

JDM.ITR
13-08-2007, 07:02 PM
yeah seems like your gasket its about to go, better start saving up !

didz
13-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Head gasket or worse, head cracked/warped.

There is also a chance that is just condensation a build up this happens some times and if it has happened you may be very lucky that your head/head gasket isnt stuffed.

Rivic
13-08-2007, 07:08 PM
how long u had the car? maybe previous owner had it done although would have cleared from the cap if done a while ago :)

HondaTechy
13-08-2007, 07:45 PM
check the dip stick and see if its creamy as well.

Deano_EK
13-08-2007, 08:03 PM
This is exactly what happened to me in my old car, my ford laser, this usually means a blown head gasket and possible warpped head. I was lucky enough to have mate as a mechanic so i didnt get charged labour to do it, but all up in new parts and to have the head sent away to be shaved and recondtion
was just under a $1000.

TheGoodDeal
13-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks all for the answers. No, the dipstick didn't have any creamy oil. The car was bought around 6 years and used to drive for short distance to station or shopping and only done around 90K kms and never overheat before. It been to major service with all oil, fluids, filters change about 1 year ago and self oil change 6 months after that. Will compression test will found out the problem?If headgasket cracked is it easy to DIY. How much cost around if go to Mechanic. It's Toyota starlet Life 98. I like to DIY but couldn't found any free service manual on the net. Do I need to remove intake maniford and exhault header? Does anyone known step by step to replace headgasket. Sorry to post on OZHonda website. I found this forum very helpful and usually logon all most everyday.

aaronng
13-08-2007, 08:29 PM
If your car does only short journeys, then condensation will build up because the oil never gets hot enough to cause the water to evaporate and leave the engine. That could be what is happening.

TheGoodDeal
13-08-2007, 09:23 PM
If your car does only short journeys, then condensation will build up because the oil never gets hot enough to cause the water to evaporate and leave the engine. That could be what is happening.

Thanks aaronng. Hope the condensation is problem (with recently record cold in the moring). I even suspect check for loose dipstick tube (with recent heavy rain). I also check for faulty PCV valve. So I pull out and PCV valve and start the engine. The PCV valve whistling like boiling kettle.

I'll keep an eye on it for another couple weeks before go to mechanic to do compression test.

aaronng
13-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks aaronng. Hope the condensation is problem (with recently record cold in the moring). I even suspect check for loose dipstick tube (with recent heavy rain). I also check for faulty PCV valve. So I pull out and PCV valve and start the engine. The PCV valve whistling like boiling kettle.

I'll keep an eye on it for another couple weeks before go to mechanic to do compression test.
Just do the compression test first as it is cheap. You can also do it yourself by buying the gauge (about $100 at Repco). This way, you can have peace of mind by finding out if you need a headgasket replacement. It's better and cheaper than getting a warped head in the long term.

TheGoodDeal
13-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Just do the compression test first as it is cheap. You can also do it yourself by buying the gauge (about $100 at Repco). This way, you can have peace of mind by finding out if you need a headgasket replacement. It's better and cheaper than getting a warped head in the long term.

Aaronng, How much do mechanic charge for compression test?

aaronng
13-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Aaronng, How much do mechanic charge for compression test?

It should be less than $50 I reckon.

NSPYRE
14-08-2007, 12:43 PM
even less than $50... i bought my compression tester gauge from repco for $55. had it done previously by my mechanic for $20

bennjamin
14-08-2007, 01:31 PM
a mech should charge around $20-50 for a compression test.
Alittle more for a leakdown test.

BTW - why are there so many bad estimates of this engine , when all we know is a funny colour on the oil cap ?
My car has this "colour" on the oil cap and its just condensation and crud buildup around the cap.
My engines compression is around 250 psi per cyl. and no leaks at all. Nothing to worry about.

If you are paranoid , go get a LEAKDOWN test to cover all aspects in the head.

TheGoodDeal
03-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks, bennjamin!! You're the champ. I checked the oil cap today. There are no more Milky colour oil. It was just condensation.