PDA

View Full Version : Marking your filters before going into service..

take_no_prisoners
13-08-2007, 09:42 PM
I heard it's a common trick for people to mark their air/oil filters etc with dots before they go into service to see if the filters are actually changed. You're probably safe marking your air/pollen filter but I was just wondering if it's actually safe to mark your oil filter with a marker...

SiReal
13-08-2007, 09:45 PM
yeah why not. its got a metal casing. so just write on it like anything else. i dont expect u to draw van gough or anything. just a dot.

90LAN
13-08-2007, 09:45 PM
yer what could go wrong
u could sign it instead would look better that marking it!

take_no_prisoners
13-08-2007, 09:46 PM
oh lol, I was thinking of the actual filter inside. No wonder I was like wtf....

:|

TheGoodDeal
13-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I believe you only need to mark oil filter & fuel filter if you want. But not air filter or pollent filter because you can visual check whether it still old dirty or brand new filters

take_no_prisoners
13-08-2007, 10:01 PM
I believe you only need to mark oil filter & fuel filter if you want. But not air filter or pollent filter because you can visual check whether it still old dirty or brand new filters

They might just wash it?

muhhan
13-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Could always change the filters yourself. That way you know that they are changed.

shadou
13-08-2007, 10:12 PM
here's what you do: mark oil filter, check air filter if they cleaned it or not (OEM only) fuel filter would be a bit hard if you have a newer honda since they're intank.
I bet they'll change the oil filter but won't give the air cleaner a glance. Then go to town on their ass for a free service, complain like hell ect ect stir shit up then move on to another dealer :p

xenonkuraz
13-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Could always change the filters yourself. That way you know that they are changed.

gg :thumbsup:

Hullabaloo
14-08-2007, 10:16 AM
how common is it for places (are we talking dealerships?) to not change filters and charge you for it? surely no Honda service department would risk doing something like that...

panda[cRx]
14-08-2007, 10:39 AM
how common is it for places (are we talking dealerships?) to not change filters and charge you for it? surely no Honda service department would risk doing something like that...

exactly, they would get their asses handed to them on a plate from honda :wave:

on a related note yesterday we had a guy saying when we replaced his cambelt we took out his k&n filter and replaced it with a brand new oem filter and didnt charge him anything for it :confused:

- why would we even open the airbox when replacing a cambelt?
- why would we give him a new oem filter at no charge?
- why would we want his used k&n filter? we dont sell 2nd hand non-oem parts :confused:

seriously wtf? it makes me wonder sometimes. people often imply that dealers/workshops are dodgy but often its the other way around

aaronng
14-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Some people are just paranoid.

BTW, if you want to mark it, scratch it with a screwdriver instead of using a marker.

EL_DC5
14-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Or use a invisible (UV) Pen. if you scratch it they will just put another 2nd hand one on. hahahaha Talk about paranoid why would you take your car somewhere you dont trust.

aaronng
14-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Or use a invisible (UV) Pen. if you scratch it they will just put another 2nd hand one on. hahahaha Talk about paranoid why would you take your car somewhere you dont trust.

That's stupid for them to put a 2nd hand one on. The reason why they might not change your filter is not because of filter cost (mechs don't get the $11 that you pay for a new filter), it is because some CBF'd changing the filter for you.

kid_dynamite
14-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I guess it doesn't hurt to make sure they do their job, but if you get to the point where you have to mark engine consumables to check whether they are getting replaced, you should probably go to another mechanic / dealer, or at least specifically mention that they be replaced.

shadou
14-08-2007, 04:02 PM
I remember when I used to work Honda, I used to get a couple cars once every few weeks and the owners used to mark a few items, one guy even marked his tyres, his spare tyre just to make sure we did everything on the job card. one time got this customer complaining about me not rotating the tyres think the tool thought it was a rwd or something...

aaronng
14-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Even FWD cars need their tyres rotated every 10,000km/6 months.

Alpine
14-08-2007, 06:41 PM

It does happen. And it happened to me. Charged me for TWO air filters, performed work which I did not authorise, blah blah. There's a huge thread on my story somewhere. I got a free service out of it next time the car is due.

shadou
15-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Even FWD cars need their tyres rotated every 10,000km/6 months.

yeah I know but 3/10 services the front tyre thread (according to the yellow honda tool I was given) was better than the rears so we didn't bother rotating them cos it would've been pointless. A lot of people now a days go to bob jane t-mart for that tyre servicing

94vti-r
19-08-2007, 02:34 AM
I used to mark a couple things cause i didn't think the guys were doing work they charged me for. Charged to change trans fluid yet the nut was still dirty and hadn't been changed. as for air filter, i got an aftermarket fitted and they havent changed it. but needless to say i have changed to a honda dealer since then. now everything is by the book and thats the way i like it