PDA

View Full Version : Scuff removal

Shimian
13-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Looking to remove some exisiting scuff plates. Looking to buy some fishing line/wire this weekend to see if i can slice through the glue. Anyone have other suggestions on removing the scuffs? I do not want to just rip it off.

thanks

mugeneration
13-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Use a hair drier to heat it up first. it'll make it a lot easier.

Also a lot of the guys on here use something called 'yellow petrol' to get rid of the glue after. Myself, I used WD40 but it doesnt work as well. Make sure you wash it off well after.

Shimian
13-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Yea, was going to do it with hair dryer and fishing line/wire. I can remove glue afterwards no probs. Just looking for other suggestions. My mate said to use a piece of cardboard to slice it. Any other suggestions?

mugeneration
13-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Dont bother with the cardboard dude. The fishing wire will fit in better and it wont get stuck and tear away like cardboard. Just try keep the wire itself pressed against the scuff bar and not the body of the car to help prevent marking. Even so, I dont think that it leaves any marks that cant be polished off. mine didnt.

Shimian
19-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Tried it today with fishing wire and hair dryer. No luck. Fishing wire snapped. Maybe i need a thicker one? How would Honda dealers remove it? Maybe i should just get them to do it when i get my car serviced?

Any other suggestions?

wp89
20-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Tried it today with fishing wire and hair dryer. No luck. Fishing wire snapped. Maybe i need a thicker one? How would Honda dealers remove it? Maybe i should just get them to do it when i get my car serviced?

Any other suggestions?

fishing line that holds more tension!
...& try not to heat up the fishing line kus im pretty sure that will cause it to snap more easily

Shimian
20-08-2007, 08:20 PM
i didnt. I just heated up a small section of the scuff, then quickly put the fishing line through. Then snap. :(