PDA

View Full Version : apparent burning smell outside car?

terryansimon
14-08-2007, 12:26 PM
alright. I did a search on this forum and the best I could come up with was a cooked clutch and/or master cylinder, hence the burning smell...

however, my car is less than 4 months old, and I've not done anything that would have pushed the car to the limits... etc. and I thought that the clutch issues were limited to the models prior to the 06 release. either that, or I'm wrong.

however, recently I've noticed that whenever I step out of the car after a drive *minimum 10 minutes, maximum about 1 odd hour* that I would smell something burning. it's a very feint smell, but it's definitely there. even the girlfriend smelt it when I asked if she smelt something in the air.

someone else suggested *in the forum* that it could be the burning off of the new parts.... but if that's the case, wouldn't the smell be consistent rather than just appear a couple of weeks ago? I also thought that it had something to do with how the dirty the car was initially, and so washed the car a bit.... and the smell was still there after driving back from the car wash place.

by the way, I drive an 07 Limited Manual... so yeah. help would be greatly appreciated. (=

tron07
14-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Brake pad smell??

terryansimon
14-08-2007, 02:23 PM
I thought of that too. but wouldn't brake pads start to "smell" only if you subject stress of unusual amounts, relative to what it's rated for?

I don't believe I brake very hard and abruptly, apart from times when I have to avoid idiots/I'm being an idiot.

akina
14-08-2007, 03:31 PM
It should be the brake pads smell. Its a new car and there are plenty more of the smell to come.

I myself have a 07 limited edition as well. I got it in March. till now when i step out of the car i smell something burning... i got use to it and im pretty sure its the brake pads. I still remembered when the first time when i pushed my car... I thought shit man... is my engine gonna blow soon O.O i was sersiously scared. But then ppl say its normal because its a new car/engine. It will take a while b4 it sets in.

Still whenever I rev my car to about 6000rpm ill smell something when i get out of the car. So nothing to be worried about. However shouldn't really rev ur car that hard until u get to about 5000kms on it to be on the safe side.

terryansimon
14-08-2007, 04:02 PM
yeah but... no but... yeah but.... no but...

I've never rev-ed the engine above 6krpm. except for once. or twice. and no burning smell still.

shadou
14-08-2007, 04:07 PM
plastic bag caught on part of the exhaust?

r-r-redEuro
14-08-2007, 05:10 PM
It should be the brake pads smell. Its a new car and there are plenty more of the smell to come.

I myself have a 07 limited edition as well. I got it in March. till now when i step out of the car i smell something burning... i got use to it and im pretty sure its the brake pads. I still remembered when the first time when i pushed my car... I thought shit man... is my engine gonna blow soon O.O i was sersiously scared. But then ppl say its normal because its a new car/engine. It will take a while b4 it sets in.

Still whenever I rev my car to about 6000rpm ill smell something when i get out of the car. So nothing to be worried about. However shouldn't really rev ur car that hard until u get to about 5000kms on it to be on the safe side.

what he said exactly the same thing and it doesnt need to be over 6000rpm it can be under.
you might be using more throttle.

jeffske
14-08-2007, 05:29 PM
plastic bag caught on part of the exhaust?

yeh check the zorst, i had a plastic bag stuck on it and it stunk for 2 weeks

OMG.JAI xD
14-08-2007, 06:45 PM
... ever checked the radiator?
no coolant?
or engine oil is leaking sum where.

those are the most simplest things to check first. rather spending heaps of money going to a mechanic and charge shit loads for sumfin that isnt broken.

shadou
14-08-2007, 09:02 PM
the hell's coolant got to do with anything in this case? If he did have leak in his 4 month old euro then overheating would be apparent followed by a nice under warranty rebuild.

yfin
14-08-2007, 09:05 PM
how good are you at driving manual? Any chance you rest your foot on the clutch gently when not changing gears? Odd question maybe but you see some crap drivers out there...

aaronng
14-08-2007, 09:35 PM
These are the reasons that I can speculate. Choose one closest to what you think you have/do:

1) New exhaust and cat gives out a stinking smell for the first few thousand kms.
2) Plastic bag caught under the exhaust or cat.
3) Sloppy clutch technique. When you press or release the clutch, the time taken for the clutch to travel from fully depressed to fully released should be no longer than 0.5 seconds.

OMG.JAI xD
14-08-2007, 09:40 PM
the hell's coolant got to do with anything in this case? If he did have leak in his 4 month old euro then overheating would be apparent followed by a nice under warranty rebuild.

well the thread is titled, apparent burning smell.
what doesnt get hot in the engine bay? and might cause burning smell?
he does state that 1 hour max driving was all he did.
im just saying the most easiest solution.
no need to make a big deal out of it man..
i mean seriously, how long does it take to just look into the radiator?
whos to say that the car wasnt checked properly on pre delivery?

terryansimon
14-08-2007, 10:15 PM
calm down folks!

OMG.JAI xd..... did those checks a week ago as part of the routine car inspection. fluid levels were good, as far as I can see.

aaronng and yfin...

I'm pretty skilled at driving manual. :P and I have this habit of putting my foot on the floor in front of the clutch, or on the foot rest next to it. so the only time it touches the clutch is when I intend to shift, and for the few microseconds before my feet goes to the foot rest. so me thinks I can rule that out.

I'll go check the bottom of the car tomorrow for the exhaust/plastic bag thingo.

tony1234
15-08-2007, 08:25 AM
I think it's just the "new car smell" that you get when you park the car after you've driven it.I still get it and my car is 14mths.old!

corn_flakes
15-08-2007, 08:55 AM
hmm...

the only time i get a burning smell when i get out of the car is when i'm ripping it. :P

terryansimon
15-08-2007, 08:03 PM
alright. I peeked underneath the car today, and saw nothing stuck to the exhaust pipes, nor was anything foreign stuck to the undercarriage.

I guess that means it's the new exhaust smell. funny how the smell only decided to come about three months after I bought the car.

anybody has any idea how long this smell will last? it's a bit off-putting at times, but I guess I can live with it if it's not a sign of something serious.

hotout
15-08-2007, 11:51 PM
don't have a good look at the underside, but could it be a tiny oil leak onto hot exhaust?

akina
15-08-2007, 11:59 PM
haha this smell will be there for long while.
my euro is 5 months old and it still has it.

iw_eagle
17-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I have a new Euro Sport and I have the smell.
I am sure its the exhaust. Smell does not bother me.

My Girlfriend had a new Fiesta in the UK and the Sales guy said the exhaust would smell for a while, so I am sure its a known issue with new cars...

EuroDude
17-08-2007, 07:11 PM
If you hit vtec a couple of times and get out of the car soon after, you may smell a faint burning oil smell. Pretty much all engines burn a bit of oil when revved hard. Perhaps thats what u r smelling.

Muzz
17-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Have you sniffed around to try and find the source of the smell after a drive?

My Girlfriend had a new Fiesta in the UK and the Sales guy said the exhaust would smell for a while, so I am sure its a known issue with new cars...

My moneys on the above^^

terryansimon
17-08-2007, 10:23 PM
yeah I've sniffed around the car. I can't seem to pinpoint it though.

as in, it's not a case of it being stronger in the front and weaker at the rear. but it's instantly noticeable if I were to get out of the car, engine running or not.

with the windows wound down, I can actually smell it if I'm stopped at a junction/in traffic. it's that distinct to me right now.

maybe it's the car's version of pheromones. :p

iw_eagle
18-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Have you sniffed around to try and find the source of the smell after a drive?

My moneys on the above^^

Its something to do with the adhesive / glue thats used or something... nothing to worry about.

Psy
18-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Did you figure out what the smell was?

My car is having a bad odour coming from the exhaust when it's on.. still figuring out what the problem is...

The smell only became noticable 3 weeks ago.

terryansimon
20-02-2008, 07:08 AM
nah never figured it out. I just got back from my summer vacation and have only taken over my car from my caretaker about a week ago, with very limited drives in between. I'll update this thread again if the smell re-surfaces.