PDA

View Full Version : using a timing light.

rnbguy
14-08-2007, 09:50 PM
does anyone have any good pictures or guides to using a timing light on a 97 civic ?

i want to check my timing using a timing light.

hinezz
15-08-2007, 07:32 AM
http://ssl.linuxbeach.net/LinuxBeach/images/items/Timing-Light.jpg

1. Connect the red lead to the positive (+) side of the battery.
2. Connect the black lead to the negative (-) side of the battery.
3. Connect the pickup, should be a black squarish style clamp, to the #1 cylinder spark plug wire paying attention to the arrow on the clamp - the arrow will point to the spark plug. on an inline 4, it's always the cylinder closest to the belts and pullies.
4. With the engine "off", look for a timing mark on the timing cover of the engine. It's located behind the crankshaft pulley. It should be the largest pulley at the lowest point of the front of your engine in the very center. At this point, if you can see the marks on the crankshaft pulley, be sure to clean them and/or mark them with either white paint or white chalk.

http://mgb.munroe.ca/Timing-New-Original.jpg

See the tab on the engine? That's more or less what it may or may not look like depending on your engine. The mark on the pulley is the point you will be using as your reference point.

5. At this point, depending on your application, you may have to disconnect and plug a vacuum line or even disconnect your throttle position sensor.
6. Start the engine* and wait for it to settle into a steady idle. Then take the timing light and aim it down at the crank pulley at the timing mark, being careful to not get any part of it caught on the belts or burned on the exhaust. You should be able to see the mark on the pulley lighting up with the pulse of the light. This is how you tell where your timing is set. If there are no visible numbers, your service manual or repair manual (hopefully you have one) will tell you what each mark means.
7. If your timing does need to be adjusted, at this time refer to your service manual and follow the procedure for adjusting your ignition timing.

*Engine should be at operating temperature

ECU-MAN
15-08-2007, 12:11 PM
on a honda you also have to jumper the SCS connector

rnbguy
15-08-2007, 01:46 PM
nice okay i finally figured how to read timing, the silly line moves back and forth quite a bit...

if i wanted to do this using my sitc, would i have to jump the scs connector , or is that pretty impossible to know without testing it :P

ECU-MAN
15-08-2007, 02:20 PM
jumpering the SCS stops the ECU from auto correction of fuel and timing

probably why it was jumping all over the place