PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it ?

g_kn
15-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey guys,

just wondering if $600 all up is worth it for the replacement of all the following.

-Timimg belt change
-waterpump
-crank seals
-camshaft seals
-fanbelts

thanks

xenonkuraz
15-08-2007, 09:36 AM
That sounds a fair deal. I got quoted $450 to replace my timing belt alone.

g_kn
15-08-2007, 09:54 AM
yeah i got quoted 200 for timing belt change alone
but decided to change other stuff like water pump , belts Etc .. then went to 600 guess it an ok price.

Mr_will
15-08-2007, 10:44 AM
id be questioning whether youre going to get a good job for that price.

it is pretty competitive, considering the labour and materials involved.

why dont you ring up a honda dealership and get them to give you a quote so you can compare?

baeshin
15-08-2007, 09:30 PM
fahhh $600 thats heaps lol .. well for me anyway being jobless

shadou
15-08-2007, 10:05 PM
that's cheap as chips, I'm assuming it's $600 labour and parts are additional, but still be questioning the quality as well

teh_mechanic
17-08-2007, 06:00 PM
600 including parts would be ok...the only thing really worth much at all is the water pump.the seals and belt are cheap as and the timing belt would be like $30ish. Would take around 3 hours labour...being generous. When they go to do the timing belt its like an extra half hour to do the seals and water pump as they are right there once the front of the motor has been stripped down

m3ntAL_l2
17-08-2007, 06:11 PM
thats alright i say.... not the cheapest,

depends on where u gettin it done, dealer charges $300 for belt change

string
19-08-2007, 06:14 PM
600 including parts would be ok...the only thing really worth much at all is the water pump.the seals and belt are cheap as and the timing belt would be like $30ish. Would take around 3 hours labour...being generous. When they go to do the timing belt its like an extra half hour to do the seals and water pump as they are right there once the front of the motor has been stripped down
Genuine honda timing belt for $30... you've obviously never bought one :D

shadou
19-08-2007, 06:26 PM
No way it'll be $600 all up using genuine parts. Most likely be using cheap aftermarket burson parts.

string
19-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Realistically though, out of the above parts, the only thing i'd *really* want to be genuine is the timing belt. A water pump is a water pump, a bearing and some blades. Fan belts you can check out every time you pop the bonnet.

destrukshn
19-08-2007, 06:30 PM
is the aprts genuine?

destrukshn
19-08-2007, 06:32 PM
water pump and seals, is also wwhat you want genuine
you don't want a shit water pump, with shit fitment, or even, one that won't last long
and the seals, you want a OEM, fitment, so it doesn't leak.

string
19-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Well seals were a given, they are cheap as shit you'd be mad not to.

You're getting a bit to elitist about honda parts if you think a genuine water pump is going to be that much better than an aftermarket one for half the price.

Edit: Having said the above; I would buy a genuine one because $30 isn't much to me over the course of 100,000km, and I just like Honda parts. But claiming that an aftermarket version has shit fitment and won't last as long is ignorant madness. Too many variables.

panda[cRx]
19-08-2007, 08:39 PM
he works at a dealer, so do i. you DO see the difference in quality in many of the parts. stuff like belts are ok but i wouldn't touch non-gen seals, and certainly not a vital component like a waterpump

bungsai
19-08-2007, 09:03 PM
cheap.

destrukshn
19-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Well seals were a given, they are cheap as shit you'd be mad not to.

You're getting a bit to elitist about honda parts if you think a genuine water pump is going to be that much better than an aftermarket one for half the price.

Edit: Having said the above; I would buy a genuine one because $30 isn't much to me over the course of 100,000km, and I just like Honda parts. But claiming that an aftermarket version has shit fitment and won't last as long is ignorant madness. Too many variables.
i'm not saying all aftermarket pumps are shit.
you just don't wanna get caught out on a shit water pump right?

aaronng
19-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Go honda for pump and seals. The belts on the other hand are not made by Honda anyway. So if you are after a Honda-branded belt, you are just tricking yourself. :)

rawr
19-08-2007, 10:09 PM
if its not genuine then i don't think its worth it! But it's a fairly good price. Get other quotes including one with genuine parts and see how they compare

AsH_
19-08-2007, 11:45 PM
would it be cheaper to source oem parts and give them to the mechs and just pay em for labour ???

shadou
19-08-2007, 11:48 PM
would it be cheaper to source oem parts and give them to the mechs and just pay em for labour ???

Depends on the mechanic that's working on your car, if he knows you've got absolutely no idea wtf any part on a car is then yeah he could sneak a couple extra bucks here and there on the parts cost. Best way of knowing you ain't getting ripped is to buy yourself and get them to install it or diy

AsH_
19-08-2007, 11:52 PM
i want new cam seals...

is that an easy DIY ???

i was thinking of replacing the waterpump and new belts...

my car needs a tune bad...

aaronng
20-08-2007, 01:06 AM
i want new cam seals...

is that an easy DIY ???

i was thinking of replacing the waterpump and new belts...

my car needs a tune bad...

There is a DIY on cam seals in the DIY section. It's for an SOHC, but similar thing.

Why does your car need a tune? You running an aftermarket ECU untuned?

AsH_
20-08-2007, 01:33 AM
There is a DIY on cam seals in the DIY section. It's for an SOHC, but similar thing.

Why does your car need a tune? You running an aftermarket ECU untuned?

narr narr.... timing needs to be adjusted...

plus it needs some looking at...

engine check light comes on...

no vtec...

i've got a leak near the dizzy...

it leaking down my engine...

i thought i might try and get some small things done myself... then mech do the rest...

idle at 1,500rpm... need to clean or replace my FITV and IACV... new hoses, etc...

etc...

B16A

aaronng
20-08-2007, 02:25 AM
narr narr.... timing needs to be adjusted...
Easy, all you need is a timing light or let a mech do it.

plus it needs some looking at...

engine check light comes on...

no vtec...
Find out the codes. There is a DIY on checking your CEL. No oil? No VTEC. Could also be the solenoid.

More seals for you to change or reapply liquid gasket.

i thought i might try and get some small things done myself... then mech do the rest...

idle at 1,500rpm... need to clean or replace my FITV and IACV... new hoses, etc...

etc...

B16A
Easy to clean. DIYs are in the DIY section.

panda[cRx]
20-08-2007, 10:19 AM

More seals for you to change or reapply liquid gasket.

if it's bad enough he might need a new sub assy.

but yeh it sounds like you're better off taking it in for service and getting em to check it out, coz whats a b16a without vtak? :p

teh_mechanic
20-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Genuine honda timing belt for $30... you've obviously never bought one :D

yeah your right, i havnt bought genuine...we use gates belts at work (private owned workshop)

gates say they are the only aftermarket manufacturer that make them to oem standards and we've never had any trouble with them.....but i totally understand that some people prefer genuine,especially with something as important as the timing belt

no most likely it wouldnt be cheaper unless you can get it at trade price....mechanic gets trade discount so even with his markup put on the price it will probably end up cheaper than you buying parts yourself