PDA

View Full Version : Higher Idle Since changing gaskets!!,Helps?

CB7_OWNER
15-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Soo then,

Situation: Idle is running at 1100 even after the engine is warm(1hr of driving)

Reason for situation: Changed the Rocker Cover gasket seal, perhaps i accidentally touched something?

Things tried so far:
1. adjusting the bolt thing at the beginning of the intake manifold(made the idle go crazy, so just screwed it back until it was idling at 1100 again), (dont know technical names sorry)

2. Some mechanic told me to adjust the hex shaped bolt (using a hex key obviously), just under the the throttle thingy ( the lever where you can add throttle from under the hood).

Any help would be grateful!!!

Edit:

Need some more help, now another problem has arised,

Situation riving around 80kmh, with a little amount of constant acceleration a WHISTLE sound can be heard, or if i go full throttle the whistle can be heard for a short second or two....

Noticed this happened after i re-oiled my Pod filter, (so i changed the stock air box back in, and its still making that sound)..

So now i have two problems, since i changed the Rocker Cover gaskets,
1. High idle at 1100
2. Whistling sound under partial throttle in certain conditions.

O!!, And my petrol is draining away very very fast, (only did 100km on half a tank of petrol; and i was trying to drive very economical, normally i can get about 200km) and 400km+ out of a full tank

Anyone able to help me out??

I still think its because i didn't put the rocker cover gaskets on properly, but accordingly to the mechanic high idle has nothing to do with the seals on the engine itself???

amato2
15-08-2007, 04:39 PM
You know i am having the exact same problem since my Head gasket got changed too, i have tried the same things as you with the intake bolt, but that made it rev like stupid..

Yeah i also noticed that not only does revs stay very high but the Lock torque comverter doesnt kick in all the time on the Freeway... Like im doing 3200rpm at 100km's where as it used to be around 26'-27'rpm

Is there something we need to get tuned?? or something like that any ideas

noodles025
16-08-2007, 04:03 AM
I have the same high idle problem in my Civic has anyone found the source of the problem yet???

aaronng
16-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Did you remove and reattach any tubing when replacing the rocker cover gasket? Might be a vacuum leak.

amato2
17-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah i have checked for leaks and cant find any, but also in relation to the fuel Problem i notice my car stays like in auto choke mode, i also notice the temp gauge moves around alot like on the free way goes down in traffic goes up.... so im thinkin the car using more fuel due to the choke staying most of the time... maybe thats why its also revving really high all the time..

I was also looking at Ultra tune i understand they do like a intake clean out n some other stuff will that also will a tune up help at all

aaronng
17-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah i have checked for leaks and cant find any, but also in relation to the fuel Problem i notice my car stays like in auto choke mode, i also notice the temp gauge moves around alot like on the free way goes down in traffic goes up.... so im thinkin the car using more fuel due to the choke staying most of the time... maybe thats why its also revving really high all the time..

Your thermostat has failed if your temperature goes up in traffic and down when you are on the freeway.

amato2
17-08-2007, 02:17 PM
OK, so would that be the reason for the car is idling so high yeah???

Are thermostates easy to change of are they thing maybe should set aside for mechannics, would a broken thermostat expalin the use of extra fuel due to the car revin so hihg aswell?? I feel like a real noob askin these questions LOL

destrukshn
17-08-2007, 02:20 PM
yes.
it could cause it.

CB7_OWNER
17-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I checked and rechecked all my lines, and stuff after the head gaskets got replaced, looks identical to before i replace them.. The only reason i can think of is something related to the rocker cover, perhaps one of the spark plug seals or something... iono..I've booked a time for Honda on Monday, hopefully ill get some good answers, or if im lucky they might be able to even fix it,

The thing i cant get through my head is that, before the head gasket replacement, the car ran Perfectly, idle perfect everytime, and after the replacement its been high since. So iono..

CB7_OWNER
17-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Another idea just came to mind,

Would it be related to the seal i used when putting the gasket on, cause i put heaps of ( i think silicone seal) around the bump and edge of the gasket before i put the cover on, which i presume when squashed together with the engine body, will push some of the seal into the actual engine, can this cause high idle?Can the seal contaminate the engine?

CB7_OWNER
17-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Another thought just came to mind =)

Anyone here, tried reversing what they did, and putting the old gasket back on, and seeing if the idle goes back down again??

Riviera
27-08-2007, 09:03 AM
lol the gasket wont effect the idle speed why do it 3 times if theres a whistle
it sounds like a vacuum lines been left off or a hole in one of the lines check
the intakes lines, could have just been the time for it to happen...

wish i knew what a CB7 engine bay looked like