PDA

View Full Version : 6x9s useless?

cutchorama
15-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Was having a chat about audio gear and my mate claimed 6x9s are useless if you have subs and splits. Claimed they are useless because you have subs for bass and if you want mid bass 8" speakers are better than 6x9s.

In my euro I'm running Hertz splits, Focal 6x9s coaxials and 2 Alpine type R 12" subs. I got the focal coaxials so that the back seat would have some treble... should I have got 8"?

EuroDude
16-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Well its true that 6x9's are not needed if you have a decent subwoofer, since 6x9's output near-subwoofer frequencies.

I have a sub and 6x9's, and yes they do conflict in frequency and the bass can sound muddy, but all you need to do is tune the cut-offs on the amp. Now it sounds great, probably similar to that if I got 6.5" speakers in the rear.

I chose 6x9's because they are a direct drop-in, no mounts are needed, and I dont need my audio sounding like a professional comp setup.

Plus I prefer more sound at the rear and less at the front.
Unlike some ppl who have splits at the front and a sub in the rear, with no speakers at all in the parcel tray (rear shelf).

Gibbo
16-08-2007, 06:39 AM
the beauty of a 6x9 speaker is that it has two resonant frequencies one for the 6" measurement and one for the 9. A 6x9 does go down into subwoofer frequency but it is usually rooling off by that time and the sound output is minimal. The correct way to set upo car audio is toi have a "stage" at the front with "fill" in the rear and seeing as though frequencies below 80Hz are omnidirectional the subs can be placed any where with our ears not being able to pick up where they are. Think of when you go to a concert - You dont stand with your back to the stage - It should be the same in your car - the main sounds should come from the front and "reflected" sound from the rear. Just my 2cents... Hope it helped !!!

tron07
16-08-2007, 08:39 AM
useless... throw them away. :p

Because of the oval shape, the flex of the surround is not even, thus the sound produce is not that good, but then again, it depends on how critical your listening is and your other equipment is.... most people cant tell the difference and most of their equipment are not top notch enough to reveal the details.

tron07
16-08-2007, 08:44 AM
when you guys mention that 6X9 goes into sub woofer frequency, its at what frerquency??

Subwoofer frequency - starts around 80hz or lower until around 20hz. By the time 6X9 plays around 80hz or lower, its already breaking up, distorting and its probably few dB less then the other frequency due to the natural roll off. At most its trying to play at woofer frequency. If you have a chart of the speaker, look at it and you will see lots of spikes and dips at graph, not linear at all.....

Pumped
16-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Just tune them to run a higher frequency,
There not "useless"
I just run my at a higher frequency with lesser gain then the front.

Still helps provide some rear fill

tony1234
16-08-2007, 05:51 PM
There not "useless"

I agree.They're not useless,they're meant to provide fill.I've got mine setup like Pumped and it sounds good.

tron07
17-08-2007, 08:47 AM
If you want to provide rear fill, coaxials are a better option.....

EuroDude
17-08-2007, 09:07 AM
If its a good quality 6x9 and tuned well, it can sound quite decent, similar to a coaxial in terms of rear fill.

cutchorama
17-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm glad I got the focal 6x9 coaxials, they sound great :D cheers guys

kerim
17-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Well its true that 6x9's are not needed if you have a decent subwoofer, since 6x9's output near-subwoofer frequencies.

I have a sub and 6x9's, and yes they do conflict in frequency and the bass can sound muddy, but all you need to do is tune the cut-offs on the amp. Now it sounds great, probably similar to that if I got 6.5" speakers in the rear.

I chose 6x9's because they are a direct drop-in, no mounts are needed, and I dont need my audio sounding like a professional comp setup.

Plus I prefer more sound at the rear and less at the front.
Unlike some ppl who have splits at the front and a sub in the rear, with no speakers at all in the parcel tray (rear shelf).

another way it can be done is to get a deck with sub control built in, this way you can put the bass on the speakers all the way down from the deck, and control the sub bass with the controller on the deck, very usefull, im pretty sure most decks have that feature now

EuroDude
17-08-2007, 11:14 AM
another way it can be done is to get a deck with sub control built in, this way you can put the bass on the speakers all the way down from the deck, and control the sub bass with the controller on the deck, very usefull, im pretty sure most decks have that feature now

Some Amps have an optional remote Bass control (Audison for example), very handy indeed :thumbsup:

kerim
17-08-2007, 11:16 AM
haha, forgot about them,

johnprocter
14-12-2007, 07:05 AM
There not "useless"

I'm guessing if i go to an audio shop and ask them to do this for me when i install my sub, amp headunit they will know what to do? because iam thinking of keeping the 6x9's at the back for some rear fill but dont want it to conflict with sub..

Pumped
14-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Yea they should know what to do, just ask them to tune them for above say 80hz, You dont want them running sub bass.
Also make sure when your in the front seat the Music either sounds centred or slight front bias, You dont want your rear fill over powering your fronts :)

one4spl
14-12-2007, 08:35 AM
I think the reason people are so anti-6x9s now is that back in the day (i used to work at a car audio shop about 10 years ago) people loved them, and cut huge holes in cars for them, even putting them in the front doors because they got a lot of sound from a 4x35W typical head unit... and now people have realised that they sound poo, compared to round speakers + amp + sub, at least.

If the car has factory 6x9 holes in the back then I wouldnt bother filling them to fit 6" rounds... heck, i'd keep the OEM rears and spend all the cash on the fronts, sub and amp.. and then turn them down to 'fill' levels.

johnprocter
14-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I think the reason people are so anti-6x9s now is that back in the day (i used to work at a car audio shop about 10 years ago) people loved them, and cut huge holes in cars for them, even putting them in the front doors because they got a lot of sound from a 4x35W typical head unit... and now people have realised that they sound poo, compared to round speakers + amp + sub, at least.

If the car has factory 6x9 holes in the back then I wouldnt bother filling them to fit 6" rounds... heck, i'd keep the OEM rears and spend all the cash on the fronts, sub and amp.. and then turn them down to 'fill' levels.

exactly what i've done ;)

and thanks pumped your a good man

johnprocter
14-12-2007, 06:45 PM
while on the topic on car audio in euros does anyone have a sub in their boot? how do you get the spare tyre out when the sub box is there..? thanks!

Pumped
14-12-2007, 09:58 PM
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1775/boot1kn4.jpg

Ive got two subs and 3 amps as you can see,
to get the sub out the amps are on a seperate hingible floor so i remove the top panel, then lift the amps, and the tyre is accessible without removing the sub box

you need to build a sub box that will fit into the rear area of the boot, the standard flooring of the euro is pretty flexible and is easy to life whilst a sub box is still up the back of the floor.

Its pretty easy to do an install in the euro that allows use of the spare tyre, just gotta make sure you chose a sub that doesnt need an excessive sub box and make sure your amp is moveable

johnprocter
15-12-2007, 08:48 AM
yeah thats sweet my sub is only 10" anyway and i dont mind having my amp under the seat in the car.. nice set up by the way how much did it set you back?