PDA

View Full Version : car with accident history

honda_ek4
16-08-2007, 05:27 PM
hey guys.
just wondering whether a car that has been written off can still be as good as a normal car.
what are some other disadvantages of buying a written off car besides having much difficulty selling it?

my friend has found a car he really likes but is holding back because its been in an acco.

jdm_kid
16-08-2007, 06:25 PM
depends how big the acco was and where abouts it was hit.
the shell of the car will probably be weaker

technify
16-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah the metal wouldnt be as hard anymore. can be easily bent more if hit again.

shinji112
16-08-2007, 06:39 PM
yeah and they might have done a dodgy job of fixing it

Jamezy
16-08-2007, 06:45 PM
1. chassis not as stiff as original E.G welding
2. might have taken short cuts in fixing the car
3. non OEM parts used to fix the car

honda_ek4
16-08-2007, 06:46 PM
depends how big the acco was and where abouts it was hit.
the shell of the car will probably be weaker

would it effect the handling of the car if pushed to a very huge extent that is.
i would assume you wouldn't be able to notice driving a car and feeling something wrong prior to it being in an accident in the past.

and about it being weaker and can cause more damage when in an accident - that is another negative issue.
any others?

misteR_bilzz
16-08-2007, 07:10 PM
simple answer...
if u can get it inspected by a panel beater, theyll tell u to buy it or not. they know what theyre doing and theyll know what to look out for. its their profession...

dsp26
16-08-2007, 07:10 PM
no matter how good the repair.. they ALWAYS have a random squeak somewhere...

trust me on this, my last 3 cars have been acco repairs (out of choice coz of price)

***EDIT***
as bilzzy said above, when people take someone with them to look at a potential purchase, everyone overlooks bringing someone with knowledge on chassis... everyones always brings a 'mechanic' of sorts...

RMN15N
16-08-2007, 07:12 PM
hey guys.
just wondering whether a car that has been written off can still be as good as a normal car.
what are some other disadvantages of buying a written off car besides having much difficulty selling it?

my friend has found a car he really likes but is holding back because its been in an acco.

dont be a pansy ..:thumbsup:
if the shell is been in just a little acco fook it..
if its twisted then no.

honda_ek4
16-08-2007, 07:14 PM
we're talking about a repairable writeoff here in the front end of the car.

IZY-10
16-08-2007, 07:25 PM
so what? it hasn't been repaired yet and is a repairable writeoff?

honda_ek4
16-08-2007, 07:26 PM
nah its repaired, front panels line up perfectly,
cant see any silicon seal marks in the engine bay either.

aaronng
16-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Previously there was a guy on this forum who couldn't register the car in the state in which it was declared a repairable writeoff. Is it the same in this case?

IZY-10
16-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Previously there was a guy on this forum who couldn't register the car in the state in which it was declared a repairable writeoff. Is it the same in this case?

Thats wierd a mate of mine bought a repairable writeoff a couple of months ago and just had to take it through the pits at vic roads.
But just look if anything is bent like you cross members, steering arms... Sometimes repairable writeoffs have hardly been hit. With my friends '03' celica only the front bar and rim had to be replaced. So don't be deterred fully by its history

honda_ek4
16-08-2007, 07:53 PM
yeah man.
the car basically looks like a normal car inside the engine bay and everything lines up well.

just wondering whether it would effect much in the handling/performance.

and also would it be wise to check for some kind of bar at the front and back which dodgy mechanics usually don'y replace when a car is being repaired?
if so, what will me and my mate who is purchasing the car looking for?

dsp26
16-08-2007, 07:55 PM

i remember that thread

nah it was:
- a statutory write-off in one state (nsw i think)
- got repaired and registered in another state (vic i think), therefore no acco history.
- new buyer was from nsw....

With my friends '03' celica only the front bar and rim had to be replaced. So don't be deterred fully by its history
if the wheel had to be replaced i hope they checked everything else on the sussy side of things for that area, specifically the hub/control arms...

and also would it be wise to check for some kind of bar at the front and back which dodgy mechanics usually don'y replace when a car is being repaired?
if so, what will me and my mate who is purchasing the car looking for?

thats the support beam dude.. every car has it... make damn well sure it's a new item... this item isn't even supposed to be repaired...

IZY-10
16-08-2007, 07:59 PM
yeah man.
the car basically looks like a normal car inside the engine bay and everything lines up well.

just wondering whether it would effect much in the handling/performance.

the only way to tell is to take it for a spin. Like i said sometimes they aren't even major accidents

honda_ek4
16-08-2007, 08:12 PM
thats the support beam dude.. every car has it... make damn well sure it's a new item... this item isn't even supposed to be repaired...

yeh i said "replace" eheh.
but yeah what am i looking for when im finding the support beam?
can you give me a brief guide thanks

aaronng
16-08-2007, 08:21 PM
i remember that thread

nah it was:
- a statutory write-off in one state (nsw i think)
- got repaired and registered in another state (vic i think), therefore no acco history.
- new buyer was from nsw....

Ahh, I see. My mistake. Thanks for that! :)

dsp26
16-08-2007, 08:35 PM
yeh i said "replace" eheh.
but yeah what am i looking for when im finding the support beam?
can you give me a brief guide thanks

something like this (can be found behind bumper)...

Rear:
http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/ae/d9/a542_1.JPG

Front:
http://www.autosdepo.com/Part_Photo/HLA.jpg

honda_ek4
16-08-2007, 08:41 PM
what should my mate do if its missing?

dsp26
16-08-2007, 08:46 PM
what should my mate do if its missing?

upto you... but if i was commited to getting the car, i'd be committed to finding this item at the wreckers ready to go on after the purchase.

imagine this:
- Nissan NX with fibreglass front bumper WITHOUT support beam
- 30km/h front impact = statutory write-off

- Nissan NX with stock plastic bumper and support beam
- 50km/h front impact = paint chip and minor dent in support beam only.

honda_ek4
16-08-2007, 08:57 PM
thanks for the info