PDA

View Full Version : Temperature guage Varying..??

J-TODA
16-08-2007, 08:01 PM
ok ...just noticed this recently...my temperature reading has been varying at various times...

once situation,after a 30min drive, i noticed the temperature needle was 1/4bar from the red line.. after cooling down on the side of the road...it would return to normal...so in the attempt to drive home immediately.. i notice heat up to half way..den return to normal( approximately 1/4bar from the bottom )....and stays normal for the rest of the trip home and evn the drive the next day to honda...

i have taken this matter to honda..however they do not seem to know the problem...this was also the time when my service was due....the service was completed with no matters...service department just said to return if the problem persisted....

i was wondering if any of uz guys have faced this matter or if anyone has any ideas of what the problem could be?? all information greatly appreciated =]

yfin
16-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Unless the guage is in the red what is the problem? My guage used to stick around half way - generally not more. But just because your guage sometimes goes to 3/4 doesnt mean there is a problem.

J-TODA
16-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Unless the guage is in the red what is the problem? My guage used to stick around half way - generally not more. But just because your guage sometimes goes to 3/4 doesnt mean there is a problem.

thanks for the quick reply...

well usualy my temperature guage would constantly have a reading of about 1/4 bar so....or less .....and jst recently and onli rarely the temperature jumps close to the red bar...

this obviously cannot be normal....yes it could be nothing....or it could be a major overheating problem, evn honda service are unsure of the problem.....hence the request for any helpful information

yfin
16-08-2007, 08:14 PM
contantly at 1/4? Mine was sitting at 1/2 when warm.

Are the fans running when it is close to hot?

J-TODA
16-08-2007, 08:16 PM
contantly at 1/4? Mine was sitting at 1/2 when warm.

Are the fans running when it is close to hot?

yer mine usualy sits around.....between 1/4 - less den 1/2.......never! has it sit at half...evn with spirted driving...

yfin
16-08-2007, 08:17 PM
ok - maybe i cant remember properly. It could have been just under half but it didnt move often.

J-TODA
16-08-2007, 08:22 PM
ok - maybe i cant remember properly. It could have been just under half but it didnt move often.

yer im pretty sure ...it would usualy sit not far from half way.....howoever...the problem atm...is that on the rare occasion....i would see the temerature gauge and it would read quite high...and its this abnormality which has gotten me to query if there are any problems that need addressing.... better to be safe then sorry..

tony1234
16-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Mine ALWAYS sits just below halfway,summer winter all the time.

LXRY
16-08-2007, 08:36 PM
J-TODA.....mine sits just under half way, never seen it flacuate only in summer time high 30's upto 40 celcius when a/c on sitting at the driveway for 15mins hehe saw it go up (abit above normal)....keep an eye on it and take it in as soon as it does it again.

J-TODA
16-08-2007, 08:39 PM
J-TODA.....mine sits just under half way, never seen it flacuate only in summer time high 30's upto 40 celcius when a/c on sitting at the driveway for 15mins hehe saw it go up (abit above normal)....keep an eye on it and take it in as soon as it does it again.

well this is acutally the 3rd time ive seen it happen..ive alreayd been to honda...and they didnt know wat the problem was...and jst requested to be brought in straight away if it occurs again...well its happened agn jst 2day...

so ill prob get into contact wif the service department 2morow...

jst wnated to know...perhaps something wrong with thermostat?? or something like dat?

tron07
17-08-2007, 09:04 AM
ask them to change/flush the coolant to see if it helps... then you get a free collant change even if it dont helps.

Your car did 20K already? Check the water level, in the radiator and spare tank every morning or weekly, is it less?? (means minor leak somehwere)

Could also be water pump not working properly....

J-TODA
17-08-2007, 10:39 AM
ask them to change/flush the coolant to see if it helps... then you get a free collant change even if it dont helps.

Your car did 20K already? Check the water level, in the radiator and spare tank every morning or weekly, is it less?? (means minor leak somehwere)

Could also be water pump not working properly....

i went honda 2day...yer i did my 20k service last week...no problems....

they jst said to check how it goes on the weekend...keep track of when it overheats...and bring it back on monday...apparantly it could be electical gauge fault.

tony1234
17-08-2007, 10:51 AM
i went honda 2day...yer i did my 20k service last week...no problems....

they jst said to check how it goes on the weekend...keep track of when it overheats...and bring it back on monday...apparantly it could be electical gauge fault.
That sounds more like it.It maybe a faulty sender(the part that sits in the engine block and sends info to the temp.gauge).

aaronng
17-08-2007, 12:40 PM
well this is acutally the 3rd time ive seen it happen..ive alreayd been to honda...and they didnt know wat the problem was...and jst requested to be brought in straight away if it occurs again...well its happened agn jst 2day...

so ill prob get into contact wif the service department 2morow...

jst wnated to know...perhaps something wrong with thermostat?? or something like dat?

If the thermostat fails, the gauge should read low, not high. Did you check the coolant overflow tank level?

J-TODA
17-08-2007, 02:15 PM
If the thermostat fails, the gauge should read low, not high. Did you check the coolant overflow tank level?

yer thats at normal level...the service department alreayd checked the whole car....for possible problems...last week....the problem went away and onli came back yesterday...

i went today...they think it is most likely a fault in the the electrical...hence asking me to note down when the bar rises and lowers...over the weekend...and return on monday...

lilwilliam
17-08-2007, 02:35 PM
hey jack i think that you should take it to a local dealership i think that it could be your theromostat or your fans being faulty. how hard do you drive your car?

avid
18-08-2007, 07:17 AM
To see if your engine is actually overheating, or it is a faulty reading ,turn on the A/C when the guage starts to read high.If the reading on the guage drops it may well be a problem with the cooling system.
If it is an overheating problem first place to start would be the theromostat.Not sure what the design of the Euro thermo is like, but its possible for thermostats to stick in either the open or closed position(or any where in between).Usually one or the other,but occassionally i've had ones that seem to play up randomly,which is what yours might be doing.
Another possibility is a faulty radiator cap.That ones caught me out many times.
If you know someone with another Euro,see if they will swap caps and go for a drive,see what the temp does.

J-TODA
18-08-2007, 12:36 PM
To see if your engine is actually overheating, or it is a faulty reading ,turn on the A/C when the guage starts to read high.If the reading on the guage drops it may well be a problem with the cooling system.
If it is an overheating problem first place to start would be the theromostat.Not sure what the design of the Euro thermo is like, but its possible for thermostats to stick in either the open or closed position(or any where in between).Usually one or the other,but occassionally i've had ones that seem to play up randomly,which is what yours might be doing.
Another possibility is a faulty radiator cap.That ones caught me out many times.
If you know someone with another Euro,see if they will swap caps and go for a drive,see what the temp does.

alright ill do that now....

y would swapping the radiator cap affect the levels shown on the guage..?

avid
18-08-2007, 03:27 PM
The radiator cap keeps the coolant under pressure which increases the temp at which it will boil.If the cap is faulty and doesnt maintain the correct pressure, the temp of the coolant (and therefore your engine) increases.Caps often begin to fail after time and drivers notice that the temp gauge reads higher than what they were used to when the car was new.

EuroDude
18-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Mine ALWAYS sits just below halfway,summer winter all the time.

Same here. Its very consistent.

I would get Honda to flush the coolant system and change the Thermostat under warranty. Also get them to check the Cooling Fan and obstructions in the radiator. Maybe there is a plastic bag wedged in front of the radiator or something lolz

SHIFTY
18-08-2007, 04:35 PM
get them 2 check if there are any faults, and maybe do a download for the ecu :)

dupac->
18-08-2007, 04:46 PM
have you checked if your fans turn on after awhile? leave it on idle. or take it for a drive then park it and see if the fan switches on?

SHIFTY
18-08-2007, 04:52 PM
intermittent faults ftl!

J-TODA
18-08-2007, 05:23 PM
ok avid i did that umm a/c test.....temperature does not drop...

du the fan usualy onli comes on a good thrashing...and whilst driving at the " usual " temperature...it is not on...i checked...fan does not go on unless i turn on a/c...

however as compared to williams euro lux...his coolant sites substiantially lower den mine....

i believe deres some pressure buildup...as avid indiciated which could cause the high and low ranging of temperature..mainly due to fact that..its seems that some coolant resvouir is evident on the top outcasing on the coolant storage box..

also the piping leading to the radiator...is more?? "springy??" as compared to lilwilliams one...

most likely i will be leaving the car alone over the weekend...and return to honda on monday...

J-TODA
20-08-2007, 05:04 PM
ok jst doing an update on the topic.....

car was dropped off at honda dis morning....jst called em up....
apparantly.."the cause has yet to be pinpointed...." as the service department said...

theyve ordered in a new thermostat...as a precaution..so im guessing the car will be staying at honda ovanight =[
they have checked most of electrical...and dont seem to have a problem...

so yer.....sux... =[

tron07
20-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Did they gave you a runabout car?

J-TODA
20-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Did they gave you a runabout car?

nop...are they supposed to..i fought u had to pay for that??
ahh dont really mind...used rents car 2day...as long as they fix the problem and do it properly...ill be happy...

bt im guessing ..if they dont source the problem...there jst gona prob fix it temporarly...reset ecu ...or replace thermostat..or some other means...
which is realli wat i dont want occuring..

haha should jst replace for a new one =] 07 euro ftw!!

johnny-li
21-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Rofl... Your Car broke again?? What a Suprise

J-TODA
21-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Rofl... Your Car broke again?? What a Suprise

lmao relax johnny.... should be back 2moorw ... dere replacing thermostat..evn though u dont know wat dat is AHA!! lmao...

yah and il be able to drive to gong jst to see u LMAO!!

J-TODA
22-08-2007, 03:52 PM
ok picked up car 2day... umm all they did was replace the thermostat... they did a " boiling water test?? " and it did not open fully...they had checked all electrical leads etc...no problems..

so yer =] ahah happy to get the car back...will keep uz updated if the problem occurs agagin.. hopefully not.. =]