PDA

View Full Version : Demo Models

Borg
18-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I was recently looking for a new or late model car with a work collegue and we found a demo model that suited him.

However the dealer told us that it had only just been registered (in Victoria) and couldn't be taken from the dealership for 45 days. He could still buy it and leave it there until the time had passed, but they wouldn't budge on the advertised price, nor would they include any extras at that price.

He ended up buying a brand new one instead for only $100 more.

Has anyone heard of this demo car policy/rule before?

Alpine
18-08-2007, 07:14 PM
What car was it?

In any case, that is absolute rubbish. Anything is for sale at the right price. We were in the same situation - we saw an Accord V6 which was only just registered as a demo but nobody had actually "demoed" it yet. The dealer was actually rather reluctant to let it go so soon, and tried to tempt us with a new car for the same price as the demo. But we then counter-offered with the fact that if they can offer a brand new car for the same price as a demo, then surely the demo could be sold for less. In the end, they sold us the demo for less.

albii
19-08-2007, 06:57 AM
There you go for $100 more a new one..
I love it when people say i got this great deal on a demo so i can say you could of bought new for the same.

Alpine
19-08-2007, 07:45 AM
I love it when people say i got this great deal on a demo so i can say you could of bought new for the same.

But you miss the point. If you can buy a new car for the same price as a demo, then logically speaking the demo should be able to be bought for even less for the fact that it is a demo. They try to put sparkles in your eyes by drawing your attention away from the demo by tempting you with a new one for the same price. But if your objective is to buy a car for the lowest price you can get it for, then it can be done with a demo. How can they sell a new car for the same price as a demo...that would mean the demo should be worth less. We proved this fact, however you need to really work the sales rep hard for it. They really can't argue with that logic though and in the end had to sell us the demo for a lower price.

albii
19-08-2007, 11:05 AM
But you miss the point. If you can buy a new car for the same price as a demo, then logically speaking the demo should be able to be bought for even less for the fact that it is a demo. They try to put sparkles in your eyes by drawing your attention away from the demo by tempting you with a new one for the same price. But if your objective is to buy a car for the lowest price you can get it for, then it can be done with a demo. How can they sell a new car for the same price as a demo...that would mean the demo should be worth less. We proved this fact, however you need to really work the sales rep hard for it. They really can't argue with that logic though and in the end had to sell us the demo for a lower price.

Whatever the dealer paid for the demo which was new at first, he pays for a new one to sell to you.
All he does is cut his margin straight away on the demo which looks like a great deal, but you have to haggle for the same on a 0km one.
It's just so they get rid of the demo before the ks get too high.

Borg
19-08-2007, 03:20 PM
The demo was advertised "drive away" for only $700 more than RRP. Considering rego and insurance costs for the dealer would be close to that, I can see why they would be reluctant to sell it a week after it was first registered. Hence no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the dealer to budge on the price or even add floor mats in around 2 hours of negotiations.
I have bought around 10 new and demo cars in the last 10 years for either myself or with other family members and friends, so I am no newbie in this area.

Maybe the 45 day policy is for that dealer, as I did a search and looked up both VicRoads and Victorian/Australian government regulation sites without success.

To get a brand new car in the same colour (the colour my collegue wanted) with about $200 worth of accessories included, for only $110 more than the demo - a saving of over $2000 off the original drive away price quoted, and only $810 more than RRP was not too bad. It's not as if it is an unpopular model either, as it is a Toyota Yaris that is always in the top 10 sales for each month.

I suppose it just helps when the dealership has just had a big delivery of them and wants to move a few.

What car was it?

In any case, that is absolute rubbish. Anything is for sale at the right price. We were in the same situation - we saw an Accord V6 which was only just registered as a demo but nobody had actually "demoed" it yet. The dealer was actually rather reluctant to let it go so soon, and tried to tempt us with a new car for the same price as the demo. But we then counter-offered with the fact that if they can offer a brand new car for the same price as a demo, then surely the demo could be sold for less. In the end, they sold us the demo for less.

It was a Toyota Yaris.
How much more did you save?

I knew we could get a new one for close to the demo price, but we tried to beat the demo down to RRP first. The salesman kept reducing the price on the new car as I was working on getting the demo cheaper. Once the price on the new car got close to the demo cost ($500 more) , I asked my collegue if he would prefer a brand new car for the price of the demo (when the salesman went to "visit the boss") and he looked at me like I was mad.
He couldn't believe it when he got the new one for only $110 more.

The fact they had a demo advertised gave us a figure to aim at.

RMN15N
20-08-2007, 02:37 PM
doesnt matter what it is .. demo models are usually sold for less =)

NightKids
20-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah agreed, they are 'demos' for a reason! No matter how you argue it, logic prevails!