PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues

b4dnuf
19-08-2007, 05:17 PM
In the past two months I have had to change the alternator twice.
And now the battery light has come up again so its on its way out. This is the replacement one i got from the wreckers.
Could it just be a dodgy alternator or is there something else wrong ?????:confused::confused:

Zilli
19-08-2007, 05:32 PM
considering the alternators is what charges your battery, it could be a couple of thing

1) You could be unlucky and picked up a shitty battery from the wrecker
2) Something is wrong with your alternator again

When you replaced the alternators, were they reco items? or didja just pick them up from the wrecker?

technify
19-08-2007, 05:35 PM
As you think it's a dodgy alternator. I think you should go pick up a new one and see what happens. see if the problem still occurs.

IF not then change the battery. and see what happens, youve picked up a alternator form wreckers before, never know.

dupac->
19-08-2007, 10:06 PM
get a reconditioned one next time.

coz the ones from the wreckers could be in the same shape as ur old one.
much more safer i guess

OMG.JAI xD
19-08-2007, 10:19 PM
get the wiring checked out first.

maybe somethings short circuiting and lighting up the battery light.
or run the car with the stereo, lights, window heaters on and see how long it goes for until it dies. if it dies.

if it doesnt then its the wiring for the light.

however that is unlikely -.-" lol
bt nothin wrong with checkin :D

destrukshn
19-08-2007, 10:22 PM
i reckon, serisouly re-co your alternator.

dupac->
19-08-2007, 10:35 PM
As you think it's a dodgy alternator. I think you should go pick up a new one and see what happens. see if the problem still occurs.

IF not then change the battery. and see what happens, youve picked up a alternator form wreckers before, never know.

before even buying anything get the alternator and battery tested, then it can detemine the problem. instead of mindlessly buying junk that doesnt work

reco one is just as good. why bother with the new one? when it would cost im sure alot more?

get a new battery? get the battery tested before u go waste more money :thumbdwn:

stupid i tells yah :thumbdwn:

lol poo on you technify

destrukshn
19-08-2007, 10:36 PM
a faulty battery won't bring up the battery light.
lol.

dupac->
19-08-2007, 10:39 PM
a faulty battery won't bring up the battery light.
lol.

what u mean?

destrukshn
19-08-2007, 10:41 PM
a faulty flat battery, won't bring up the battery light.
the reason why the battery light would come on, is because most probably the regulator is ****ed.

aaronng
19-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Is the belt driving your alternator slipping?

If you have a combination of a battery that is at the end of its life with low voltage and an alternator that is outputting low voltage, then the battery light can also come on.

destrukshn
19-08-2007, 10:48 PM
but it should be squeeling if it was loose.

aaronng
19-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Maybe a dodgy mech sprayed a little lube onto the belt during the last service. :) Either that or voltage regulator. ;)

destrukshn
19-08-2007, 11:02 PM
yes that could be it, but if it was loose enough for it to make the light come on, you'd also hear it.
lol.

b4dnuf
20-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks the the advice guys.
The current alternator in there is from the wreckers so it could jsut be old.
I changed the alternator and its not loose. no squeeling or squeaking sound.
If it continues to stuff up i will get the old alternator re-con.
The light has not come up today at all. But that happened to me last time and then all of the dash lights dimmed and the car died.
The Electrician says it could be the alternator (regulator) that is playing up or on its way out. Could not be charging or overcharging??
The battery is Brand new only bought it about 1 months ago which is when the first alternator died.

destrukshn
20-08-2007, 12:20 PM
overcharging, you will blow fuses, most probably
more like undercharging.