PDA

View Full Version : insurance advice

shadou
20-08-2007, 03:53 PM
after 2 weeks of been dogged around, RACV finally gave us a pay out price for my moms avalon, however they quoted it at $9500, wtf is that?
How do I haggle them some more? I've done some research market value vs red book and I don't exactly have much of a bargain point cos the car was bought hail damaged.
advice please!!!

mrwillz
20-08-2007, 04:05 PM
well wot agreed/market value was shown on current insurance policy?

shadou
20-08-2007, 04:20 PM
market value. I'm disputing it after the cheque comes, got a couple private sale ads that I will use, couple receipts from car purchase + additional accessories and paint + rampage protection.
Never dealt with this before so kinda lost lol

Limbo
20-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Threaten to change insurance company if it doesn't go your way.

shadou
20-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Most likely outcome afterwards is to change to a different insurance company, the way they handled this case was unprofessional, and I for one am very unpleased that they treat long term customers in such a way.

wp89
20-08-2007, 05:40 PM
after 2 weeks of been dogged around, RACV finally gave us a pay out price for my moms avalon, however they quoted it at $9500, wtf is that?
How do I haggle them some more? I've done some research market value vs red book and I don't exactly have much of a bargain point cos the car was bought hail damaged.
advice please!!!

as above.. i think you should threaten to change companies to see if they can improve the deal.
alot can be made by threatening to leave with big companies as they see it as not only losing one customer but a few potential customers that you may share your experience with

jeffske
20-08-2007, 06:02 PM
advice please!!!

hail damage is a big factor

shadou
20-08-2007, 06:12 PM
true but that was all that was wrong with it. Low km's engine fine, recent major (done by me). It's a repairable write off so I might see if I can buy it back and get a shop to repair it cos I don't see anyway we can buy an 00+ model with $9500 on road without getting out of pocket a couple grand.

aaronng
20-08-2007, 06:17 PM
market value. I'm disputing it after the cheque comes, got a couple private sale ads that I will use, couple receipts from car purchase + additional accessories and paint + rampage protection.
Never dealt with this before so kinda lost lol

What year and model Avalon?

Zilli
20-08-2007, 07:15 PM
dude, YOU signed up for a market value policy... sorry to rain on your parade, but market values are dictated by things out of an insurance companies control, and they go by industry manuals such as red book and glasses guide...

shadou
20-08-2007, 09:53 PM
yeah lesson learnt on market value, it was a 2003 mark 3 GXI avalon.