PDA

View Full Version : Noob Conversion Question

skypher
21-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Hey guys, I want to swap my engine for a B16a, but I don't know what I will need. I currently own an EG sedan equipped the D15B twin-carb engine, I also picked up an EG Si with a blown D16a. What else will I need besides (obviously) the engine? Also what work will I need to carry out?

Thanks heaps
Cheers!

lilwilliam
21-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey guys, I want to swap my engine for a B16a, but I don't know what I will need. I currently own an EG sedan equipped the B15B twin-carb engine, I also picked up an EG Si with a blown D16a. What else will I need besides (obviously) the engine? Also what work will I need to carry out?

Thanks heaps
Cheers!

u will need everything that makes the engine run really, wireing harness, driveshafts, ecu, mayb mounts, but since your current engine is a bseries i dont see why the engine wouldnt be a direct bolt on (correct me if im wrong)
but your best to get yourself a half cut, it comes with everything you will need for the conversion
do a search this topic has been covered a couple of times before

kn1ghtm4r3
21-08-2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47020&highlight=b16a+conversion

cristian
21-08-2007, 12:08 PM
carbie to efi conversion also requires u to change fuel tank...

add up all the costs and see if that matches to some cars for sale on the marketplace threads...coz i was gonna do the same but now im just plannin 2 get a new car altogether...

Jamezy
21-08-2007, 12:10 PM
gear box also would be good :thumbsup:

cristian
21-08-2007, 12:15 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72989

teh_mechanic
21-08-2007, 04:19 PM
im starting my twin carb (92 eg hatch) to b16 conversion this weekend...pretty big job if your doin it yourself (as opposed to putting the engine into an already efi car) because you need to remove the dash and replace the entire in-cabin wiring loom to an efi one (i think theres ways of splicing wires into your existing loom but thats just asking for a wiring nightmare)

so anyway what you will need apart from alot of time or alot of money for labour is:

for the carby to efi conversion get from your eg si:

efi fuel tank with pump
fuel lines and filter mounts (im not using these...il ghetto something up)
entire cabin and firewall wiring loom with fusebox etc
may aswell do a rear drum to disc brake conversion (you have drums now right?)

for rest of the conversion you can get a halfcut and swap everything over or if your getting parts seperately or got a good deal on a built b16 from barefootbonzai (like me) then you will need:

b16a engine
engine wiring loom
b series gearbox
driveshafts
shift linkage
b series ECU
engine mounts
power steer pump and bracket (im trying to find myself one right now)
air con compressor and bracket (leave it out and go hardcore)
anything i have forgot but i think thats all

good luck

instruction manual = http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5953 :thumbsup:

Benson
21-08-2007, 05:07 PM
you dont need fuel lines. Its a big job and hassle to change. You can use the existing fuel lines. Make sure you use an EFi fuel tank and get the complete wiring loom inside and out. It a time consuming process.

skypher
21-08-2007, 06:46 PM
im starting my twin carb (92 eg hatch) to b16 conversion this weekend...pretty big job if your doin it yourself (as opposed to putting the engine into an already efi car) because you need to remove the dash and replace the entire in-cabin wiring loom to an efi one (i think theres ways of splicing wires into your existing loom but thats just asking for a wiring nightmare)

so anyway what you will need apart from alot of time or alot of money for labour is:

for the carby to efi conversion get from your eg si:

efi fuel tank with pump
fuel lines and filter mounts (im not using these...il ghetto something up)
entire cabin and firewall wiring loom with fusebox etc
may aswell do a rear drum to disc brake conversion (you have drums now right?)

for rest of the conversion you can get a halfcut and swap everything over or if your getting parts seperately or got a good deal on a built b16 from barefootbonzai (like me) then you will need:

b16a engine
engine wiring loom
b series gearbox
driveshafts
shift linkage
b series ECU
engine mounts
power steer pump and bracket (im trying to find myself one right now)
air con compressor and bracket (leave it out and go hardcore)
anything i have forgot but i think thats all

good luck

instruction manual = http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5953 :thumbsup:
ok, I thought when I bought that Si with the DOHC 1.6L it would make everything alot simpler. I was told that they share the same block, therefore alot of thing were the same. Such as driveshafts, shift linkages, engine mounts, AC and PS pump.

I was going to buy this engine:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67711

But it looks like a Half-cut is the way to go?

Also I will be re-building the engine when I get it

Appreciate all the help and patience so far, thanks again.
Cheers!

teh_mechanic
22-08-2007, 08:17 PM
ive never owned/worked on or seen a D16a (from your si wreck) but i am fairly sure that most if not all of your d series parts will not swap over to a b series engine (engine mounts, ps and ac, driveshafts, shift linkage).

both blocks would not be the same....one is a d series and the other is b, there are differences...if there wasnt then ppl would just be able to get a d16 block, put a b16 head on it and presto you have a vtec b16.doesnt work that way

that engine looks pretty sweet if your gonna be doing a rebuild anyway, but then you would need to find all the other miscellaneous parts for the swap..

can someone confirm that the all of the d series parts will not be able to be swapped to a b16....dont wanna lead him astray....but im pretty sure