PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my wheels, Advice please??

Miz_II_Die_IV
22-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Hi guys,
First hello, Im new here, yeh you could call me a noob. Anyways The problems im having is regarding my new 20" rims. Originally i had an Audi A4. I had bought my 20" rims for them...I bought them from Ozzy Tyres and only had them on for about 6 months, then i started to have problems when i reached speeds of around 80kms... So i brang them back to Ozzy. After sometime of repairing and what not, they decided to replace them for me but i have to keep my tyres. Because i knew i was selling the car, i saved them till i had bought my new Euro. Last week i picked up my euro, and obviously strolled down to Ozzy to get my wheels... What i didnt know was that when i put them on, after that everytime i go off some bumps the back tyres rubs. I wanted to lower the car too... but... already i am getting rubbing what will happen if i lower it. Wat options do i have now... I am pretty upset at Ozzy... They are the professional...they should have told me. Now i dont know what to do....Im gonna go down to Ozzy tommorrow...And give them my 2cents...
These are my meassurement...

Rim Size (Inches): 20"
Rim Width (Inches): 8.5"
Rim Offset: ?
Rim Weight: ?
Rim brand and Model: Kruz K33
Tyre Brand and Model: Hancook Tubeless
Tyre Size: 225/35ZR20

aaronng
22-08-2007, 12:25 AM
You need to know the offset. It's not Ozzy tyre's fault. When they put it on, the tyres won't rub since the suspension is not compressed. With 8.5" width, you need an offset of about +55, and even so, you might rub on the inside, which is worse!

winvin23
22-08-2007, 12:34 AM
The cheapest way to minimize the tyres from rubbing the guards is simply to roll the lip under guards. Most tyre places should be able to do it for less than $100 per corner these days. Whereas the more expensive way is to get a camber kit to make your wheels tilt slightly // \\, so u'd be running them with negative camber. Or if possible ask ozzy to replace the wheels with a new set with the correct offset for Euro - guestimate +35??

aaronng
22-08-2007, 12:40 AM
The cheapest way to minimize the tyres from rubbing the guards is simply to roll the lip under guards. Most tyre places should be able to do it for less than $100 per corner these days. Whereas the more expensive way is to get a camber kit to make your wheels tilt slightly // \\, so u'd be running them with negative camber. Or if possible ask ozzy to replace the wheels with a new set with the correct offset for Euro - guestimate +42??

For 8.5", he needs +55. My friend had 18x8 in +42 and the rears rubbed.

winvin23
22-08-2007, 12:52 AM
yeah you probably right mate - i wouldnt have a clue, never had the pleasure of having 20" rims before :P

Edit: I think Miz_II_Die_IV is a she btw.

Miz_II_Die_IV
22-08-2007, 02:21 AM
hehehe.... Winvin23... ur rite i am a chick...hence MIZ... hehehe... well...aarong dont you think they should have told me.... even other people on this forums knows it... they're suppose to be professionals... Overall i have spend nearly 4500k... i bought the rims for $3200 originally... then paid $500 bucks for repair... which never got to use them (in working order) for one day.... had to bring the tyres back at least 3 times... and after like 2 months without tyres (due to it sitting at Ozzy for repair) i had to chase them down. Finally "Mohamed" said he will replace them for me with anything with the same kinda value... When i rock up there...more charges... I had to pay an extra $800 to get the Kruz as apose of the Jestalt diamond 3 series.... NOW THIS...I think that guys i trying to rort me becos im a CHICK!
Anyways just say i did get the lir rolled will i be able to lower it... also wat harm does that do. I heard that its harder to sell the car if those things are done to the car... ATM i see rubbing on the outside only.... Any suggestions.... Im gonna march down to Ozzy hopefully tommorrow and ring that guys neck in....

akina
22-08-2007, 02:40 AM
well if u r worried about selling the car later on... then u shouldnt of really do such of a modification. going 20" is extreme!

the stock is only 16"...

to me.. ozzy tyres r just like tempe tyres... they dont really do a proper work fitting the wheels on to the car (i mean they do but... offsets r wrong, not telling u the possibility of what can happen, etc etc). All it is, is they try and sell rims at a lower price than the jap brands, however, the quality is all gone~

Miz_II_Die_IV
22-08-2007, 02:55 AM
So wat advice can you give me.... Im so lost.... I dont want to be a nagger and go back down there... but i really dont know what to do or where to go?

aaronng
22-08-2007, 08:10 AM
The rims are not rubbing because it is a 20" rims. They are rubbing because the combination of 8.5" width and a possible low offset makes the wheels stick out too much.

Unfortunately, if they did the dodgy with you the first and 2nd time, I doubt they would even consider refunding your money. However, I wouldn't give them any extra money as they have tried to rort you out of an extra $800.

Few questions for your rims on the Audi:
1) The first time around on your Audi, did you get hub-centric rings for it?
2) Did you get proper wheelnuts/wheelbolts for the rims? (aftermarket rims can sometimes require different shaped nuts to hold the rim on securely).

If Ozzy tyres didn't supply hub-centric rings and still claimed to have been "repairing" your rims, then they could have been pulling a dodgy one. If you like these rims, I'd exchange them for the same but in the proper offset. Find out the offset of your rims now. If it is +42 now, you might need +55 instead.

kenny
22-08-2007, 01:11 PM
the offset of the wheels in an audi is quite low compared to the euro.. i think this is the main reason as to why it is rubbing.. a friend of mine has an audi a4 and their offsets are nothing like the euros, so i think its not a good idea to put rims from an audi to a euro personally.. go for an offset of +55 or +56 with a width of 8.5 all round.. this should fit nicely in the euro..

mr747
22-08-2007, 01:16 PM
you need to lip you guards first and see if that works
i have 19s and i was having the same problem so i hads to lip the guards

Its the offset you have its not correct and either is mine
soem of the gusy on here have 20s i think you need +42 to make em fit

TEMPTN
22-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Easy wat to get rid of all rubbing is lower the car camber will kik in, roll the gaurds and rubbing goes after a week or so it thats doesnt help shave the inside of the rim to it sits in more
im on 20's x 8.5 +55 offset which i then got shaven to + 50 offset
ohh yeha forgot to mention lowered
guys at ozzy are rude no customer serivce

tyrepower_adelaide
22-08-2007, 02:01 PM
you dont need 55+ offset all you need is 42+ and above. i have 20 x 8.5 with 225 tyres +42 offset my car sits on the tyre front and rear. no rubbing with a full loaded car. i think you may have the wrong offset. go to ozzy tyres and find out what the offset of the wheel is. if its lower than 42+ than its there problem

mr747
22-08-2007, 02:02 PM
thought so

Miz_II_Die_IV
22-08-2007, 11:31 PM
The rims are not rubbing because it is a 20" rims. They are rubbing because the combination of 8.5" width and a possible low offset makes the wheels stick out too much.

Unfortunately, if they did the dodgy with you the first and 2nd time, I doubt they would even consider refunding your money. However, I wouldn't give them any extra money as they have tried to rort you out of an extra $800.

Few questions for your rims on the Audi:
1) The first time around on your Audi, did you get hub-centric rings for it?
2) Did you get proper wheelnuts/wheelbolts for the rims? (aftermarket rims can sometimes require different shaped nuts to hold the rim on securely).

If Ozzy tyres didn't supply hub-centric rings and still claimed to have been "repairing" your rims, then they could have been pulling a dodgy one. If you like these rims, I'd exchange them for the same but in the proper offset. Find out the offset of your rims now. If it is +42 now, you might need +55 instead.

Hey, This might be a funny question but what is an OFFSET.... im a chick and know nothing about it... but it might be useful to know when im yelling at the dame guys... thanks... Plus can the offset be change on any wheel... eg the existing one.. i called them up today and they said to bring it down and they will fix it... Free or NOT i do not know... but seeing as they are dodgy kients i bet they gonna try rort me again. BTW they apparently did have these HUBs on the Audi ... because wehn i first got them they didnt have hubs and shook alot but then it stopped cos they put these hubs in... After that it was sweet for around 7 months until its started shaking again... I went there and they said "APPARENTLY" my wheels had buckles in them...Was Quoted $450 for repair on all 4 wheels.... Got it back after a week... still shaking.... went back in for repair.... after days of ring them up...another 3 weeks got them back... STILL NOT WORKING... brang them back....After like more than one month... Mohamed said they will replace that... He also quoted "Im doing you a favour... if it was anyone else i would tell them too bad.... WTF (excuse my language) I just paid $450 bucks for WHAT.... For you to tell me ur doing me a favour...Now these problems.... How does the warranty work with Wheels if any.... and what happens it so called "buckling" happens.... I dont even drive it that much....

Miz_II_Die_IV
23-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey just wondering all you guys out there that have 20's on their cars.. How low did you go... TEMPTN (what a nick haahaha) that looks f@#ken awesome...tho i dont think i will go that low...Temptn but no... T.P.A... that looks sweet, how low is that... can you guys give me some meassurements front and back...

aaronng
23-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Hey, This might be a funny question but what is an OFFSET.... im a chick and know nothing about it... but it might be useful to know when im yelling at the dame guys... thanks... Plus can the offset be change on any wheel... eg the existing one.. i called them up today and they said to bring it down and they will fix it... Free or NOT i do not know... but seeing as they are dodgy kients i bet they gonna try rort me again. BTW they apparently did have these HUBs on the Audi ... because wehn i first got them they didnt have hubs and shook alot but then it stopped cos they put these hubs in... After that it was sweet for around 7 months until its started shaking again... I went there and they said "APPARENTLY" my wheels had buckles in them...Was Quoted $450 for repair on all 4 wheels.... Got it back after a week... still shaking.... went back in for repair.... after days of ring them up...another 3 weeks got them back... STILL NOT WORKING... brang them back....After like more than one month... Mohamed said they will replace that... He also quoted "Im doing you a favour... if it was anyone else i would tell them too bad.... WTF (excuse my language) I just paid $450 bucks for WHAT.... For you to tell me ur doing me a favour...Now these problems.... How does the warranty work with Wheels if any.... and what happens it so called "buckling" happens.... I dont even drive it that much....
Offset is the measurement of how far the rim sticks out from the part that makes contact with the wheel hub where the brake rotor is. The lower the number, the more it will stick out (looks better but can rub the guard). The higher the number, the further in it will be (too far in and you rub the suspension).

You can alter your offset (make it higher) by shaving the inside face of the rim but it can weaken it as well.

If they claim that the rims were buckled, then the rims would have had to hit some potholes. I don't think Ozzy Tyres do rim repair and they have to outsource any repairs. Have you considered going to a different place for repair?

Anyway, to clear things up, your rims now don't shake on your Euro and the only problem is the rubbing?

tyrepower_adelaide
23-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Offset Is The Hub Location From The Centre Of The Wheel

0 Offset Means That The Hub Of The Wheels (part That Makes Contact With The Car) Would Be Dead Centre From Front To Back Of The Wheels. Say The Wheel Is 8 Inchs Wide, 0 Offset Would Be 4 Inch's From The Front And 4 Inch's From The Back.

+42 Offset Is 42mm Foward From The Centre Of The Wheel
-42 Offset Is 42mm Backwards From The Centre Of The Wheel

tony1234
23-08-2007, 08:37 AM
As someone said before you could roll your guards but personally i'd get rid of the rims and tyres and put either 17s or 18s on.And go to a REPUTABLE tyre shop.

tron07
23-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Read this site for more info regarding offset

http://www.americanracing.com/techcenter/techcenterdetail.asp?filename=wheeltech4&section=tech#

TEMPTN
23-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Hey just wondering all you guys out there that have 20's on their cars.. How low did you go... TEMPTN (what a nick haahaha) that looks f@#ken awesome...tho i dont think i will go that low...Temptn but no... T.P.A... that looks sweet, how low is that... can you guys give me some meassurements front and back...

TEMPTN is my number plates,
how low? just say i can get my car sitting on the chassie if i wanted to :) on 20's and not without bags, bags dont go that low OR airrunners

Miz_II_Die_IV
23-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Hmmm...what are BAGS.... Please dont laugh!!!!:o

aaronng
23-08-2007, 06:07 PM

They are called air bags, which is a way of calling air suspension. It lets you raise and lower the car just by flicking a switch.

LXRY
23-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Miz_II_Die_IV 20" are nice but these are some of the hurdles you have to endure....rubbing...offset...rolling of guards.. etc...

As for ozzy tyres well I've never dealt with them but by the sounds of it these guys no good. When you do suspension or wheel choices go to a professional suspension place which only deal with suspension, then they can advise you on height and wheel size not too mention offset which i didn't know anything about till now thanks to you lol......Ozzy tyres specialize in selling of tyres and rims.

.....Or one better ask our members here at ozhonda which have alot of experience with the euro these guys are the professionals and know the car better than anyone even Honda itself ;)

Pat on the back guys.....:thumbsup:

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 10:49 PM
yes ozzy tyres are rude, and know nothing about cars, kept trying to sell me chromies when i said i didnt want chromies!

but im very sorry to hear your story :( hope you can sort it out...

and its good to see a chick on here for once! all other euro owners are guys! not thats its a bad thing, just its good to have diversity, so welcome :wave:

Muzz
23-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey there. Just wondering, what was the problem with the rims that ozzy repaired?

Was it a slight vibration at high speeds?

If so then i bet it was a simple (and cheap) wheel ballancing issue, and they screwed you outa alot of money:(

They told you it was a warped rim, ask them how they go about repairing a warped rim.

Unfortunatly this shit is so so common, car places screwing chicks around, my GF has had plenty of people try and take advantage of here lack of car knowledge.

It pisses me off so much, for example the place that was servicing my GFs car (zupps) was telling here her services were 7500km or 6 months apart. After about 3 totally unnecisary services (very expensive services around $900 in total) i noticed in the manual, her services were ment to me at 15000kms or every year. Then i went through her recipts and found they were carrying out work on the car that was blatently unnecissary ($150 for a throttle body clean, on a basically brand new car).

The owners manual stated what work needs to be done for each service and that if any extra work is needed to be carried out the service centre will firstly confirm with the owner before proceeding. They were doing so much extra shit it wasnt funny and my GF was none the wiser.

If you got a BF, or any good male mates who know there stuff, take em along with you just incase, might save you quite alot in the long run:thumbsup:

Miz_II_Die_IV
23-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah... i think it was around 75kms and above... and before you tell me its was a wheel alignment or balance....I went to Audi and they charged me $220 for what was suppose to be a Wheel alignment and Balance , instead it was a VERY EXPENSIVE CAR WASH? so yeh....

tyrepower_adelaide
23-08-2007, 11:27 PM
did they put any centre bore locators on your car.

little plastic ring that sits between you wheel hub and the cars hub

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 11:45 PM
tyrepower you picked the problem first thing this morning before she even mentioned it!!! you must be physcic :eek:

lol nice, i see you know your stuff:thumbsup:

Miz_II_Die_IV
23-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah the had hubs thingy in it? LOL.... that wasnt the problem as i am told?

Muzz
23-08-2007, 11:52 PM
did they put any centre bore locators on your car.

little plastic ring that sits between you wheel hub and the cars hub

Hey man, quick noobie question.
Whats the purpose of these centre bore locators, im not using any, should i be?

Im guessing its a ring so the rims centre hole fits tightly on the hubs centre bit:thumbsup::thumbdwn:

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 11:54 PM
if the after market wheel has larger centre hole than stock, the plastic ring just fills in the hole so the the wheel sits dead on centre on the hub... with out them you'll get vibration at high speeds... thats if it needed for your particular wheel... some wheels will have correct size hole...

sorry for stealing your question tyrepower

Muzz
24-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Cheers man, +1 rep for you:p

TEMPTN
24-08-2007, 08:13 AM
:p

Plastic bags used for ur suspension
LOL :P

aaronng
24-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Do the wheels shake on the euro?

Miz_II_Die_IV
24-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey aaronng, No they dont shake on the euro, just that i was rubbing b4 i rolled the guards.. and i havent even lowered it...

mr747
24-08-2007, 12:29 PM
you have the wrong offset there

Miz_II_Die_IV
24-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Offset is +42 thats what they say anyways

aaronng
24-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey aaronng, No they dont shake on the euro, just that i was rubbing b4 i rolled the guards.. and i havent even lowered it...

I see. Then your problem is the offset and width of your tyres/rim. On my friend's Euro, 8" width and +42 offset caused rubbing when lowered. So for your 8.5" and +42 offset, it is too wide even for stock height. Are you still able to exchange them for something with a more suitable offset?

mr747
24-08-2007, 12:44 PM
then you have a probel with something
i dont know anyone in sydney if your were in melb i know heaps of people that could help you

TEMPTN
24-08-2007, 12:55 PM
OFFSET!
3 things you can do
Abuse them for not doing their job!
Get new rims with the right offset!
Shave inside the rim to the right offset!

best option is 1 and 3

rolling the guards whiles its a 4wd wont do nothing
rummbing might go away after you have lowered your car and you have rolled your guards

tony1234
24-08-2007, 01:03 PM
I was told max.offset +45 for Euro.I've got +48 on 17s,lowered approx.35mm and its a close fit.try and cut a deal with Ozzy(good luck) to swap for 18x7s or something like that.The other thing is that decent 20"rubber=$$$$

EUR003act
24-08-2007, 01:21 PM
decent 20"rubber=$$$$

even 18" rubber is expensive!!!

tony1234
24-08-2007, 01:37 PM
even 18" rubber is expensive!!!
That's why i've stuck with 17s.I can put decent rubber on my car without breaking the bank.

EUR003act
24-08-2007, 01:42 PM
That's why i've stuck with 17s.I can put decent rubber on my car without breaking the bank.

smart man :thumbsup:

johnprocter
24-08-2007, 04:48 PM
whats the price difference between 17" rubber and 18" ?? on average?

tony1234
24-08-2007, 05:08 PM
whats the price difference between 17" rubber and 18" ?? on average?
Not sure,never bought 18" rubber.I think approx.15-20% more.anyone else here like to comment?

EUR003act
24-08-2007, 05:12 PM
faulken 452 rubber 225/40R18 $300 per tyre... so $1200 for the set

tony1234
24-08-2007, 05:36 PM
faulken 452 rubber 225/40R18 $300 per tyre... so $1200 for the set
Do you know how much for same brand(Falken 452)in 225/45R17??

Miz_II_Die_IV
24-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Today i just purchased new springs for my car... after some time ive decided on the Pedders Sports Ryder... Anyhow as some of u man already know... im sitting on 20's 225/35ZR20 (8.5") so yeah.... When i put my wheels on i experinced some rubbing at the rear tyres, the i got my gaurds rolled (tho i seems like they didnt do it enough). Thats stopped my rubbing... Then i went to lower my car don 1 1/2 all round... apparentely thats all i go do...with the pedders.... Now i am getting rubbing again. Please help... I will be going to Ozzy tommorrow to see if i can get my guards rolled abit more... because it seems that they havent done it that much.

tony1234
24-08-2007, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't let Ozzy tyres touch my sons pushbike!!!

mugen88
25-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Today i just purchased new springs for my car... after some time ive decided on the Pedders Sports Ryder... Anyhow as some of u man already know... im sitting on 20's 225/35ZR20 (8.5") so yeah.... When i put my wheels on i experinced some rubbing at the rear tyres, the i got my gaurds rolled (tho i seems like they didnt do it enough). Thats stopped my rubbing... Then i went to lower my car don 1 1/2 all round... apparentely thats all i go do...with the pedders.... Now i am getting rubbing again. Please help... I will be going to Ozzy tommorrow to see if i can get my guards rolled abit more... because it seems that they havent done it that much.

You hav spent too much $$ on this problem.

As others have already said suggest you consider a set of 19" rims instead with a higher offset. Otherwise u will just keeping sinking more $$ to fix a problem.

Be careful with extreme guard rolling, It will crack the paint on the guards and you will have another problem thats going to cost more $$.

Sounds like Ozzy is only interested in your $$ not service given your repeat visits.

Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

Miz_II_Die_IV
25-08-2007, 06:04 PM
You hav spent too much $$ on this problem.

As others have already said suggest you consider a set of 19" rims instead with a higher offset. Otherwise u will just keeping sinking more $$ to fix a problem.

Be careful with extreme guard rolling, It will crack the paint on the guards and you will have another problem thats going to cost more $$.

Sounds like Ozzy is only interested in your $$ not service given your repeat visits.

Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

Well actually i went to get the car lowered somewhere else... so yeah... do you think if i get other tyres say the 225/30ZR20 the problem will go away???

Cos some of the other guys that have 20's are using that tyre.... I dont want to put more money on this problem ... plz help me guys....

Muzz
25-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Well actually i went to get the car lowered somewhere else... so yeah... do you think if i get other tyres say the 225/30ZR20 the problem will go away???

Might work, if you can get tyres in 215/30/r20 or 205/30/r20 there would be a better chance of no scrappage:thumbsup:

What size are your current tyres?

Miz_II_Die_IV
25-08-2007, 08:59 PM
well a couple of other guys have use the 225/30zr20 with no rubbing.... so yeah... witht the same springs... so yeah they said its good with theres

yfin
25-08-2007, 09:07 PM
With 8.5" width, you need an offset of about +55, and even so, you might rub on the inside, which is worse!

I dont think +55 in 8.5 inch would work as it reduces inner clearance way too much (2.5 cm).

aaronng
25-08-2007, 09:50 PM
well a couple of other guys have use the 225/30zr20 with no rubbing.... so yeah... witht the same springs... so yeah they said its good with theres

It also depends on the offset.

Miz_II_Die_IV
26-08-2007, 01:25 AM
What offset does it have to be?

mugen88
26-08-2007, 01:59 AM

A combination of incorrect offset and width of the wheel may still cause rubbing regardless of the tyre.

Maybe try an offset btw +45 to +50 given 8.5" width.

Muzz
26-08-2007, 02:35 AM

Cool:cool:
Ask the same people whats the offset of the wheels there using, and if theyve rolled there guards. That is what will determine if it is posible with yours.

Because your wheel is a 42mm offset, that means your rims and tyres are sticking out an extra 8mm over wheels with say a 50mm offset.
So unfortunatly if they are running a higher offset then you, then theres a chance youll still be rubbing with those tyres.

Using a thinner(width across the tread) tyre on the rim will gain you extra room between the tyre and the guard, this might be the answer to your problems. A 215/30/r20 tyre will give you an extra 5mm room over a 225/30/r20.

Find out what offset there rims are (the guys without rubbing) so you can work out how much further out your rims are sticking out compared to theres.

If its 42mm or less, then you should be ok with 225 tyres.

If its 42mm-47mm, than id go with a 215 tyre instead of a 225 tyre, to make back up the extra 5mm than your wheels are poking out. Then you should be ok.

If its between 47mm and 52mm, then go with a 205/30/r20 tyre. You should then be ok.

If its over 52mm then even with a 205 wide tyre, you may very well still get scrapage. A little bit of extra camber may fix this.

But remember, ask them if there guards are rolled. If there not, then your going to have a little extra room to play with compared to them. This will help make up for the fact your wheels are a little further out due to the lower offset.

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Muzz
26-08-2007, 02:44 AM

Its not somthing we can just tell you. It depends on way to many variables.
Ride height
Spring stiffnesses
tyre widths
Rolled guards or not, and to what extent
Brand of tyres (a 225 tyre from company X is often a different width to a 225 from company y)
Camber angles

It would be different for most setups.

jooneth
17-09-2007, 06:28 AM
I am having similar problem but mine is that my steering wheel moves unexpectedly. Like I drive on a straight road then suddeny it tries to turn either side of the road so I have to concentrate on steering wheel all the time. I have 18X8.0 and offset is +38. I have been told that it's because of the offset and I still don't know what to do (I got mine from Tempe). Does this happen to you as well?

tron07
17-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Thats tramlining.... I always drive pass Tempe and I see lots of people outside the place..... pity those fellas everytime I drive thru.....

EUR003act
17-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Do you know how much for same brand(Falken 452)in 225/45R17??

sorry not sure... the older faulken 396 in 215/45R17 were $205 a tyre... so $820 all up