PDA

View Full Version : SEARCHING - 20sec wait (even on invalid search)

dsp26
22-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Was just wondering on the possibility of this being reduced to even 10sec...

or even for forum supporters....

or even negate it if the search is invalid??

I do a lot of research, i don't mind so much the 20sec wait, what i hate is when the search was invalid and the next search makes me wait 20sec anyway? Not like the invalid search used any bandwisth at all right?

SiReal
22-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I completely agree with you. It usually takes a few searches to get the answer. So that might meet at least a minute before getting results.

Nikki
22-08-2007, 02:04 PM
i know!! im always left there yelling 'omg dont be gay'

SiReal
22-08-2007, 02:28 PM
So if you encourage the use of search, i suggest putting the measures to make it easier to do so.

bennjamin
22-08-2007, 04:52 PM
why do you need to search more than once or twice ? As long as you give a vague search term the returns should give a good range of threads / posts to browse at.

dsp26
22-08-2007, 08:25 PM
why do you need to search more than once or twice ? As long as you give a vague search term the returns should give a good range of threads / posts to browse at.

well the problem with searching is people call one thing many different things and you just gotta search a lot... i for one try to find relevant threads i remember to post back in a NEW thread

my very first cheap example is CRX or Del Sol or EG2... never bring up anything....
i can't even find this thread for example searching that section:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72891

But again those are just examples, where it becomes gay is when your first search errors or doesn't return results, i try a replacement word or string and it tells me to wait 18secs.. (-2secs from pressing the back button :p)

Not having a go at the stakeholders of the domain name or anything, but a serious question.. does it affect the server that bad if the 20sec wait was turned off? do that many people really do that many searches at the same time?

[ricer]
22-08-2007, 08:27 PM
yeah that and PMs!

ozR18
22-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Ohh thanks ..finally someone brought up this issue..

EKCivic96
22-08-2007, 11:54 PM
yes, i totally agree

Apologise for the hi-jack but does anyone else find ithemselves with this message: "The search term you specified (ek) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer."

If someone does let me know and ill start a new thread ;)

haha sorry for to hi-jack

SiReal
23-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Not having a go at the stakeholders of the domain name or anything, but a serious question.. does it affect the server that bad if the 20sec wait was turned off? do that many people really do that many searches at the same time?

I completely agree wtih you. Posts, yes, PMs not so much but definately not searches.

bennjamin
23-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Searches do hit the bandwidth , hence the climb to 20 seconds search. Clicking on "new posts" is the same code so is regarded as a search too. This is partly the reason hitting "new posts" sometimes has strange consequences to your browsing.

Its become 20 seconds as it keeps the server happy on average.

wynode
26-08-2007, 11:15 PM
As said it's because of the extra load it put's on the server everytime you search / hit the 'new posts' link.

If we reduce the time there's more chance of the site running slow for everyone else. If I could I'd reduce it for OH supporters but it's a global option unfortunately.

dsp26
28-08-2007, 10:31 AM
As said it's because of the extra load it put's on the server everytime you search / hit the 'new posts' link.

If we reduce the time there's more chance of the site running slow for everyone else. If I could I'd reduce it for OH supporters but it's a global option unfortunately.

i was gonna ask... but nuff said. Thanks!!!