PDA

View Full Version : UR Pulley Just Installed

docker
23-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi All

I have just had the UR Pulley installed onto my 03 Euro and first impressions is WOW :)

The car feels very responsive in mid range torque and I am very happy with it, also accerelation is much better too. I definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of it as mod. I ordered my from the US off TSXparts.com and had my local performance centre fit it.

I have a question though for the people running the UR pulley, my mechanic placed the OEM belts back on the car and before installing the pulley I posted on here asking for opinions of it, got great feedback but was also told to put Gates pulley belts on along with the pulley. I told my mechanic that and he asked me did I know what part number the Gates belt was as Gates don't have one the same size as the OEM belt.

So my question is, do anyone know what size the Gates belt I should be using or the part number? Then I can ring my mechanic and he'll order it in, I'm the first Euro he has done with pulley's. He's done heaps of Civic.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

luxobarge
23-08-2007, 09:13 PM
How much was the pulley landed?

Sounds like a good mod, i guess its the same as installing a lightweight flywheel.

aaronng
23-08-2007, 09:28 PM
You need Gates belt part number K070683. It is slightly shorter than OEM, which is what you want to be used with the UR pulleys. Get it changed ASAP because the OEM belt will suffer accelerated wear as it is too loose. You can confirm it with the accessory belt tensioner indicator. Yours would be pointing at the shorter indicator now. You can get the belt locally at Bursons or Repco.

Edit: fixed typo in part number.

mugen88
23-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Recommended replacement belt is a Gates Micro-V belt, part No:70683.

I have spoken with Gates Australia in the past and they do not list this part in the Aust product catalogue as they have never brought it into Australia for any application.

You can do a one off special order with Gates Aust but it will cost you $$.

Its easier and cheaper to order it online from a motor parts supplier from the US.

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 09:34 PM
which pulley set is it, its not the ultra one where you loose air con and power steering is it? just the underdrive pulley set?

i think i now know what else ill be doing when i get headers and flash :p

r-r-redEuro
23-08-2007, 09:54 PM
sorry what are pulleys ? ><"

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 09:59 PM
where your engine belt goes around the alternator, power steering, air con compressor, etc... using lighter pulleys and different sizes (smaller crank, air con, steering) means that more power 15% goes direct to the wheels...

r-r-redEuro
23-08-2007, 10:01 PM
serious ? wow thats quite alot of power ? btw it wouldnt effect if this was modded in a auto or manual would it ?

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 10:13 PM
they claim about 15&#37; gain, not sure how good it goes on dyno, but in theory it should be correct, the less power thats running to everything else, the more that goes to the wheels :) you'd prob see alot better acceleration (as docker said)... manual or auto shouldnt matter, still the small belt set up, still the same gains

but im definately gonna do it :) 15% gain on 150 equals 170kw atw! :D

(i live in a dream world yes)

r-r-redEuro
23-08-2007, 10:19 PM
lol. i wish its that much atw. dont think so it looks too " bullsh!t " to me

but what docker said about power gain i do believe but 15&#37; seems too much.

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 10:24 PM
lol yeah...

well im keen to give it a go... in theory works for me lol

EuroAccord13
23-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Dyno tested UR pulleys.... Extra 2Kws @ the wheels :D (Someone else's car)

15&#37; power increase is over-rated.... Especially if the car is N/A too....

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Dyno tested UR pulleys.... Extra 2Kws @ the wheels :D

15% is over-rated.... Especially if the car is N/A too....

yay! lol way to ruin my night :p

EuroAccord13
23-08-2007, 11:32 PM
yay! lol way to ruin my night :p

I'm sorry... Please try and go to bed now :D:p

aaronng
23-08-2007, 11:35 PM
where your engine belt goes around the alternator, power steering, air con compressor, etc... using lighter pulleys and different sizes (smaller crank, air con, steering) means that more power 15% goes direct to the wheels...

No, it's not 15%. The effect is like a flywheel. Almost no significant gain. Maybe 1-2kW just from the reduction of resistance.

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 11:38 PM
lol aaronng, you dont have to rub it in :(

jokes, and yes bed sounds good right now

docker
24-08-2007, 10:09 AM
You need Gates belt part number K070683. It is slightly shorter than OEM, which is what you want to be used with the UR pulleys. Get it changed ASAP because the OEM belt will suffer accelerated wear as it is too loose. You can confirm it with the accessory belt tensioner indicator. Yours would be pointing at the shorter indicator now. You can get the belt locally at Bursons or Repco.

Edit: fixed typo in part number.

Thanks aaronng for the part number. I'll head out now and go and get it. Much appreciated.

docker
24-08-2007, 10:21 AM
To answer a few questions posted. I think all up from TSXParts I paid $440AUS including shipping. Extra for the installed, think it took my local shop about an hour.

I got the Unorthodox Racing Ultra SS so that included the crank pulley, power steering pulley and accessories pulley. On the dyno as a few have already said the kw's increase was very minimal, but what these pulley's did was increase the accerelation and I definitely noticed it straight away especially through the mid range. I have also found that the power steering feels much, much better when driving - more responsive but a little heavier parking.

So to sum up my thought, if you are after massive gains in kw's at the wheels the pulley's will not do that ... but if you want better accerelation and steering well improved steering I would definitely recommend it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback

tony1234
24-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm in two minds to do this mod.I've had mixed reports eg.James from JTUNE says no(among others),then people like docker(and others on this forum)say how good they are!!:confused:

docker
24-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm in two minds to do this mod.I've had mixed reports eg.James from JTUNE says no(among others),then people like docker(and others on this forum)say how good they are!!:confused:
tony1234, I must admit before doing this mod I researched it by reading every post about pulleys in this forum and also the US TSX forums as I was in two minds also. The majority of posts I read was positive towards this mod, the only negatives were if you have an upgraded stereo system in the car you'd need to change the battery to an Optima or something equalivent.

In the end I am glad I have done it because the accerelation gain is very noticable and I feel it replace that low to mid end torque some lose when putting on an CAI.

tony1234
24-08-2007, 01:33 PM
tony1234, I must admit before doing this mod I researched it by reading every post about pulleys in this forum and also the US TSX forums as I was in two minds also. The majority of posts I read was positive towards this mod, the only negatives were if you have an upgraded stereo system in the car you'd need to change the battery to an Optima or something equalivent.

In the end I am glad I have done it because the accerelation gain is very noticable and I feel it replace that low to mid end torque some lose when putting on an CAI.
Hmm.i've got 1x4ch amp(50WRMS/ch.)driving speakers and 1x120WRMS amp driving a 10''sub.wonder if i'd have any problems re:battery longivity??BTW thanks for your feedback.:)

EUR003act
24-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Hmm.i've got 1x4ch amp(50WRMS/ch.)driving speakers and 1x120WRMS amp driving a 10''sub.wonder if i'd have any problems re:battery longivity??BTW thanks for your feedback.:)

when running both amps at high volume, the current draw on your battery and consequently your alternater increases, if you alternater is running at a reduced level (which the pulley set will do) it will not be able to supply enough power to outweigh the power drain of the amplifiers... solution, higher capacity battery, or large capaciter... either option (or both) will help sort out the problem. the euro battery is too small for a good stereo install anyway, so it wouldnt harm you upgrading it.

my recommendation, if you want the pulleys, just dont run the amps on full for the last 5minutes of driving, that way the battery has a chance to charge so when you turn the engine off, you can start it again :p

tony1234
24-08-2007, 01:48 PM
when running both amps at high volume, the current draw on your battery and consequently your alternater increases, if you alternater is running at a reduced level (which the pulley set will do) it will not be able to supply enough power to outweigh the power drain of the amplifiers... solution, higher capacity battery, or large capaciter... either option (or both) will help sort out the problem. the euro battery is too small for a good stereo install anyway, so it wouldnt harm you upgrading it.

my recommendation, if you want the pulleys, just dont run the amps on full for the last 5minutes of driving, that way the battery has a chance to charge so when you turn the engine off, you can start it again :p
Makes sense.I might try a Supercharge Gold ,$90,they seem good value.

LXRY
24-08-2007, 03:26 PM

Just when you thought it was over tony1234...another mod lol.

GO FOR IT TONY1234, hehe :thumbsup:

tony1234
24-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Just when you thought it was over tony1234...another mod lol.

GO FOR IT TONY1234, hehe :thumbsup:
Yeah.seriously considering it among other things such as JTUNE.

h1coupe
27-08-2007, 12:20 AM
from the dynoes I&#180;ve seen from guys with both UR and NST pulleys, they have been gaining anywhere from 5-10whp almost everywhere across the board.

enkay
27-08-2007, 09:33 AM
yer ive got the nst pulleys but havent installed them yet, mayb ill do a b4 and after dyno

Pumped
27-08-2007, 09:44 AM
:) id like to see a before & after dyno with the NST dyno

h1coupe
27-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I am leaning towards NST myself, even though they are one less pulley. the pulley that&#180;s missing from the UR set doesn&#180;t do much in regards to power so I am going for cheaper:), would really like to see more dynoes:)

EUR003act
16-09-2007, 09:26 PM
I just ordered the UR Pulley set, and TODA Racing Headers... It will be interesting to see how much gain i get out of the two of them together... im not so much interested in top in kw's, but more torgue through the rev range...

E-Gene
16-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Are you going to do a dyno before and after?

sodaz
16-09-2007, 09:48 PM
I just ordered the UR Pulley set, and TODA Racing Headers... It will be interesting to see how much gain i get out of the two of them together... im not so much interested in top in kw's, but more torgue through the rev range...

The dyno won't show as much gains for the pulleys but your butt dyno will feel them for sure. As for the Toda headers, expect around 10kw.

EUR003act
17-09-2007, 11:25 AM
i already done dyno, so ill see what increase i get off that (and yes i know u cant compare dynos done on different days, but it will give me a rough indication...

in regards to the belt K070683... thats a 1740 belt which gates no longer import into aus. will the 1735 fit? ie: 5mm shorter than the K070683

docker
17-09-2007, 12:19 PM
i already done dyno, so ill see what increase i get off that (and yes i know u cant compare dynos done on different days, but it will give me a rough indication...

in regards to the belt K070683... thats a 1740 belt which gates no longer import into aus. will the 1735 fit? ie: 5mm shorter than the K070683I had to order that belt (K070683) from the US, all up including shipping $46 Australian dollars.

enkay
17-09-2007, 12:43 PM

in regards to the belt K070683... thats a 1740 belt which gates no longer import into aus. will the 1735 fit? ie: 5mm shorter than the K070683

they no longer import? really, i bought that belt like a month ago from some store in artarmon, sydney.

EUR003act
17-09-2007, 02:30 PM
they no longer import? really, i bought that belt like a month ago from some store in artarmon, sydney.

i went into repco and auto one today, they both called gates and tried to get them to order one, but they reckon they no longer import it into aus :(

i just ordered one online then from www.rockauto.com AUD$51 delivered...

alot cheaper than the $78 1735 belt from repco

beeza
17-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Sorry not a Euro question but if I were to do this Mod in my 96 EK Civic would I need to change the belts aswell?

JasonGilholme
17-09-2007, 06:20 PM
depends what kit you get.

You should be reminded that the crank shaft on a D series and B series engine needs the harmonic balancer (which is part of the crank pulley) otherwise the engine will see increased wear.

Its a good idea to stick with the OEM crank pulley but feel free to change to light weight AC, PS and alternator pulleys. :thumbsup:

EUR003act
17-09-2007, 06:29 PM
beeza - if you get undriven pulleys (similar to the ones i purchased) you will need a smaller belt as the PS and air con pulleys are smaller...

aaronng
17-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Whenever you change the diameters of the pulleys, you should get the proper belt for it. Even with the UR pulleys which try to keep the overall belt length the same, there is still a small difference, thus needing a slightly shorter belt.

beeza
17-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Sweet,Thanks heaps guys.

EUR003act
19-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Got my UR pulleys installed today.. first impressions, very sexy! they look sweet! especially with brand new gates belt :)

cant really notice any difference while driving, i might get a little more top end power out of them, we'll see how theyre going after the computer has recalibrated to the lighter weight...

ill get pics up of my engine bay once the rest of my "bling" arrives :p

felixd
05-08-2008, 03:24 PM
i just ordered my pulley sets and contact gates australia they dont import K070683 1735mm belt anymore will 1740mm fit alright ? just off by 5mm ? cheers

aaronng
05-08-2008, 03:59 PM
i just ordered my pulley sets and contact gates australia they dont import K070683 1735mm belt anymore will 1740mm fit alright ? just off by 5mm ? cheers

Contact the shop that you bought the pulleys from, and ask them to include the gates K070683 belt at extra cost.

Suntzu
05-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Im keen to try this mod:

Whats the best brand bang for buck and where do you buy it? Cost?
Whats an estimate of install costs?

Whats the verdict in whether it does anything?

aaronng
05-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Im keen to try this mod:

UR pulley is probably the way to go. I've test driven an auto with it and I couldn't feel the difference. I'd put my money elsewhere.

Suntzu
05-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Im lost im refering to the OP meaning its an underdrive pulley set yes?

So you are saying its the way to go but i should put money elsewhere???

aaronng
05-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Im lost im refering to the OP meaning its an underdrive pulley set yes?

So you are saying its the way to go but i should put money elsewhere???

Yes, the UR pulleys are a lightweight underdrive pulley set.

If I had to buy one, I'd pick the UR. But since I have the choice, I won't buy one because I didn't feel that it was worth it. :p

EUR003act
05-08-2008, 05:28 PM

i brought mine off someone online... just search K070683 in google and see how many hits you get :) better off getting the correct belt first time around!

Im keen to try this mod:

it stops your air conditioning from working so well at idle lol

cost me $160 labour for install...

Type R Positive
05-08-2008, 05:49 PM
light weight flywheel FTW?

Crapdaz
05-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Yes, the UR pulleys are a lightweight underdrive pulley set.

If I had to buy one, I'd pick the UR. But since I have the choice, I won't buy one because I didn't feel that it was worth it. :p

did you try it with air con on or off? that could be why you didn't notice it.

made the power steering a bit lighter too, but since putting my 18" on the steering has gone alot tighter now.

aaronng
05-08-2008, 05:55 PM
light weight flywheel FTW?
More gains there, that's for sure. :thumbsup:

enkay
05-08-2008, 06:10 PM
get both then theres even more gains =D

aaronng
05-08-2008, 06:17 PM
get both then theres even more gains =D
I couldn't feel any difference with the pulleys lol. My personal limit is $100 per kW. Jk! :p