PDA

View Full Version : Satalite Navigation

Miz_II_Die_IV
23-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi there guys... Just wondering if any of you guys have the Satalite Navigation instll onto ur cars.... One of my mates friend says he's got a SAT NAV for sale..... And i was wondering if of you guys have it.... Is it good....In regards to Performance... IS it user firendly... I know it would look good in the car... but is its worth the money... He want to sell me the unit but he says get hasnt got the disc for it.... (dunno the reason) so i have to get the disc... Does anyone know where i can get it from....Thanks

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 11:08 PM
what brand and model is it? is it fixed install or portable unit?

geez you ask alot of questions :p

doesnt matter, gives me something to do. i have tom tom 810... awesome little unit, very easy to use! the disc is only needed for updates blah blah blah, you dont need it for basic use, anyway, if you need newer maps, you can buy a new Sd card with them on it, slip it straight in and off you go...

maybe be cautious tho, if its a portable unit with no box/instructions/software, just the main unit and cig charger, could be dodgy if you get my drift (people dont leave box/software in their glovebox)

Miz_II_Die_IV
23-08-2007, 11:15 PM
hmmm... firstly sorry to be a pain... I dont know much about cars.... tho im willing to learn.... girls can learn too cant they? hmmm.... Well its suppose to be the original honda one... therefore, i will have to buy the unit + get the disc + get either an auto electrician or a audio car guy to install it... tho isnt it worth $3k outside or am i hearing things? heheheh

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 11:18 PM
i never said anything about being a pain ;) and yes your allowed to learn, we'r not in the 1800s anymore...

lol yeah from memory the honda one is $3000 from honda.. and yes you would need an auto electrician to install it (or honda if you go lots of $$$)

not sure whether you need the disc for the honda ones, i cant see why you would? maybe someone else can help me out there?

Miz_II_Die_IV
23-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah i dunno either... my friend just told me that i doesnt come with the disc so yeah.... Im not too sure thats why i wanna c if any other guys have got a sat nav... Maybe... they could burn me a copy... hehehe... just a thought?

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 11:27 PM
thats why i wanna c if any other guys have got a sat nav... Maybe... they could burn me a copy...

but thats illegal :eek:

jokes

Miz_II_Die_IV
23-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Hello Euro owners with SAT NAV???

EUR003act
23-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Hello Euro owners with SAT NAV???

theyll all asleep, you see, the majority of euro owners are old, especially the ones that need gps to find the bingo centre....

fraqqie
24-08-2007, 12:45 AM
HAHAHAHAHAH

so you're swapping your whole centre console to one that has sat nav is that rite?

i remember one man doing it to his acura tsx and gosh that guys deserves props considering the amount of wires he had to go through

Miz_II_Die_IV
24-08-2007, 01:13 AM
isnt i a straight swap considering it a hona one.... just connecting cables or no?

Mr_will
24-08-2007, 01:18 AM
you need to be more clear about exactly what youre planning.

IMO it is silly to rip out the whole dash and replace it with the sat nav - the honda sat nav isnt THAT good, and the process will cost you a lot of money.

for a few hundred dollars you can get a quality portable unit that you can take with you from car to car and not worry about installation hassles

Miz_II_Die_IV
24-08-2007, 01:30 AM
wELL THATS what i was thinking also... tho it makes the car have more value .. and im paying alot less.... So yeah.... thats why i was thinking bout it....
not much more from a protable one so yea?

fraqqie
24-08-2007, 01:32 AM
here's the thread i was talking about, the guy made a DIY thread

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292466&highlight=tsx+conversion

it's so much more than a 'plus and play' installation... might be more worthwhile getting a portable sat nav uni for under 1k

Mr_will
24-08-2007, 01:32 AM
i dont personally think it makes the car more valuable.

if you dont get a proper receipt for the unit, it will look dodgy to prospective buyers.

so youre saying you can get a full genuine honda sat nav unit for around $500?

that sounds extremely suspicious

EUR003act
24-08-2007, 01:38 AM
i dont personally think it makes the car more valuable.

if you dont get a proper receipt for the unit, it will look dodgy to prospective buyers.

so youre saying you can get a full genuine honda sat nav unit for around $500?

that sounds extremely suspicious

maybe be cautious tho, if its a portable unit with no box/instructions/software, just the main unit and cig charger, could be dodgy if you get my drift (people dont leave box/software in their glovebox)

lol go to sleep!

Miz_II_Die_IV
24-08-2007, 01:56 AM
Hahaha... Who said $500... hey if it was $500 then i wouldnt worry about the whole thing n jsut buy it... Its 1/6 of the original price... LOL... nah.... it aint that cheap... Plus it is just an excuse i give myself cos i want it... LOL.... i have look at other sat navs and good ones will put you back around 700 easy... so yeah... Eur003act why are you still awake... hehehe

Miz_II_Die_IV
24-08-2007, 02:03 AM
here's the thread i was talking about, the guy made a DIY thread

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292466&highlight=tsx+conversion

it's so much more than a 'plus and play' installation... might be more worthwhile getting a portable sat nav uni for under 1k

Hey are you sure that its that hard... i mean... if its just an option at the dealers i imagine it to be just some plugs at the back... tho i could be wrong... Is it an option over there.... Cos those were the TSX...so yeah.... plus the LUX says its an option... so yeah... I cant think why it would be as hard as that guys said... Cos he had to do a full conversion and it his post it said the harnesses where not out yet... meaning that he had to wire them manually... dah... wouldnt that explain why it was so hard... Still confused... Will see how it goes anyways....Just thought it would be a better investment?

EUR003act
24-08-2007, 08:21 AM
lol im going away with work (to apec) today, i was trying to get all my correspondence in order before i leave... lol

ive pulled apart the euro lux... theres only like 5 connectors on the entire centre console, and that includes cigarette lighter! lol i thought it was just a plug and play aswell, all i can think of would be speed sensor and antennae needing to be added? as you say, its an option they do...

and why were you still awake??? :p

aaronng
24-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey are you sure that its that hard... i mean... if its just an option at the dealers i imagine it to be just some plugs at the back... tho i could be wrong... Is it an option over there.... Cos those were the TSX...so yeah.... plus the LUX says its an option... so yeah... I cant think why it would be as hard as that guys said... Cos he had to do a full conversion and it his post it said the harnesses where not out yet... meaning that he had to wire them manually... dah... wouldnt that explain why it was so hard... Still confused... Will see how it goes anyways....Just thought it would be a better investment?

The car comes from Japan fitted with the sat nav unit and touchscreen. It is not installed locally by the dealers.

dejavu66
24-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Although it may look fancy, but I suggest buy aftermarket ones, its really good, just spend around $400 and you get the proper one, I just sold my 1 year old gps for $200 coz the GPS I have on euro...

Miz_II_Die_IV
24-08-2007, 12:24 PM
hmm... well what if i wanted to get a Sat nav system now... if i go tot he dealers... would they send my unit oversea form japan... hmmm still confused?
Is it possible pephaps...

aaronng
24-08-2007, 12:54 PM
hmm... well what if i wanted to get a Sat nav system now... if i go tot he dealers... would they send my unit oversea form japan... hmmm still confused?
Is it possible pephaps...

They will tell you that it is not possible. :( Have you considered selling your 06 lux and getting one that has sat nav instead?

mmmsxc
24-08-2007, 07:00 PM
ive got sat nav in mine as an option. i love the fact that i got the screen in there and that it is a touch screen. it is about 99% accurate all the time. i love the whole idea of it in my dash :D

Jegi#5
24-08-2007, 08:24 PM
It's not the GPS that is run by that touch screen, it's also the Aircon, Radio, CD player all tied into the one unit. Hence you either buy the car with it or just buy a portable GPS. To be quite honest with you, whilst it does look great, the amount that some honda dealers are charging for some of the updated dvd's, up to a 1000bucks in some cases, you are better off getting a portable GPS.

winvin23
25-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I reckon it's great mate - very useful for travellers, especially when you get lost during one of those long trips!! :thumbsup:

Yes I must say the OEM software is definitely not the best one available and not 100% accurate all the time and it is a bit ricey in regards to performance wise compared to those aftermarket ones. However it still does get you from point A to your specified destinations and makes the car look more luxury in a way. The last time I checked the DVD from :honda: costs approx $600-700, pretty expensive software IMO, so yeah thats the other downside of it. :thumbdwn:

Having said that, if I didn't get the model with Sat Nav option, I wouldn't change the whole centre console just for the touch screen/GPS, plus I think it would affect your factory warranty as well if its not done by an Authorised :honda: Auto Electrician. If you really wanted one simply for travelling purpose, not for the looks, NavMan or TomTom have heaps of good ones.

markasia
25-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Go The TomTom!!

iw_eagle
26-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Tom Tom the way forward.

Much rather have my Tom Tom one, that a Honda bog standard unit, with bad software.

BusterSonic12
28-08-2007, 02:19 PM
sorry for the late reply. forgot about your pm.
replied. pm sent