PDA

View Full Version : AirCondensor

XP02ED
24-08-2007, 08:19 AM
noob question here..

Can you paint an aircondensor? will it f*ck it up?

mate oversprayed his stuff and it painted the aircondensor so he painted the whole thing black

aaronng
24-08-2007, 08:23 AM
It just makes the cooling of the aircon gas worse, thus making his AC less cold.

Kiz_EG6
24-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Don't agree, if you get one re-co'd they usually put a nice coat of black spray paint on it.
I had to buy a re-co for my last car (wombat damage :( ) and that was sprayed black and the air con was still sweet!!

XP02ED
24-08-2007, 08:47 AM
hmmm alright 2 good points but 2 different answers! anyone else?

btw thanks!

aaronng
24-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Don't agree, if you get one re-co'd they usually put a nice coat of black spray paint on it.
I had to buy a re-co for my last car (wombat damage :( ) and that was sprayed black and the air con was still sweet!!

They do make thermally-conductive paint. :) It's the regular paint which acts as an insulator.

XP02ED
24-08-2007, 10:53 AM
ah? so he should be using a special kind of paint?
got any ideas where to get them? like i guess he didint paint the whole thing thing just the face. so it doesnt show from the outside

DLO01
24-08-2007, 11:15 AM
If you paint it, your putting another layer on, insulating it. It is not going to cool as effieciently, simple. You may not notice it, but it still won't be as efficient.

As for this heat conductive paint. Sounds good. :thumbsup: More info if possible?

XP02ED
24-08-2007, 11:20 AM
As for this heat conductive paint. Sounds good. :thumbsup: More info if possible?

same..

aaronng
24-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Did he use the same stuff that he oversprayed with?
Best is for him to just use the AC and see if it is cold enough for him. :)

XP02ED
24-08-2007, 11:56 AM
nah he used mat black paint from supercheap that 2 $ can thingo

aaronng
24-08-2007, 12:34 PM
If you paint it, your putting another layer on, insulating it. It is not going to cool as effieciently, simple. You may not notice it, but it still won't be as efficient.

It's just a paint with a large amount of heat conductive metal particles, like powder coating. Most normal paints consist of pigment and binder that are not as good in conducting heat. Even if you can't get the proper paint, you can still spray paint a radiator but you have to apply a thin coat.

IZY-10
24-08-2007, 01:32 PM
its just like spraying your calipers. You will loose performance from the device. ie when you spray your calipers your insulating it thus not dispursing the heat as efficiently. Just give it a good clean

XP02ED
27-08-2007, 08:48 AM
me and my mate ended up painting his condensor and it had no problem at all

i decided to paint mine too well chrome it up :D and no problem at this time so all seems well. didint apply a thick layer just 1 quick coat