PDA

View Full Version : Weird electrical problem.

Weq
24-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Note: this is a very long post, but its detailed in all aspects/diagnostics i have in trying to find the solution! please read and tell me ur opinion!

Ok i got a wierd electrical problem to do with my starter. This is how i think i caused it: When i was doing my clutch the other week, i was undoing everything and forgot to disconnect the battery. I found out the hard way when i got to my starter and i was disconnecting its main 12v power source (i thought it was a simple earth). While i was undoing it, i must of grounded it somewhere on the crankcase with my spanner, and i got a small spark accompanied by some smoke near my front left headlight (other wise of the car). At the time i thought it was a simple case of blowing the headlight.

Fast forward 3 days later when i was getting ready to start her up. _Everything_ incar is working perfectly, i checked all my lights/blinkers, everything is sweet. So i go to crank her and all i got was a clicking of the starter solenoid. I end up ripping the starter out again to check manually if its working. I connect my 12v/earth's up and jump the solenoid. The 'flywheel gear thingy' pops out and spins, but not with much force at all (spinning wise). So i think maybe i drained the battery heeps with my short.

I charge the battery up and try and start her and it hits first go, nice and strong, she rumbles to life. She is fine, never stumbles after thing, all week.

Now fast forward to last saturday (5 days later). After i replace my brakepads i go out for a quick run, bed them in and return home. I plan on going to the gym so i leave the car for like 30mins and when i return, the problem seems to have come back! I again charge the battery (this time i left the terminals on while chargeing, woops!) and but it still doesnt start up. I then play with the alarm while cursing at the end bay, go and try to start her again, BOOM, she starts first click, no probs.

I drive to my gf's house, leave the car for 10mins and start her again, she starts fine. Leave it overnight, she doesnt start! I think right, my battery is ****ed, so i grab a new battery and use it to jumpstart the car that afternoon. Still clutching at the hope that the battery is ok, and something else is the culprit, i drive around all week with a spare in my boot and jumper leads! I have zero problems, great starts, every time.

Now to tonight, its saturday again, and its been running for 6 days now. I drive it around all day, go out tonight (stopping off for krisys and various other things) but on the way home at mcdonalds it doesnt start, just a solenoid click and nothing else. I fiddle around with alarm again, turn the radio off and try various times to get it to turn over with no luck. As a last ditch effort before calling for a jumpstart, i turn the key to ignition, turn the headunit on, then try and crank, and she starts flawlessly.

In conclusion, i am stumped. Im guessing ive fried something somewhere, but dont know where to look. Things i have learnt from my testing:

* The battery holds 12v perfectly
* When i had the starter out, it seems not to have any real 'power' in its turning action.
* One time i played with the car alarm, and it allowed me to start it!
* I think i may have linked it also to my headunit. It seems on both saturdays, it was the first time that week when i actually turned the radio on! And playing with the radio allowed me to start the car.
* All my lights and fuses are fine!
* All dash lights act EXACTL|Y the same when its working, or when its not.

My current train of thought!

* Their is a drain somewhere, possibly melted some wires together? This doesnt explain how i cant start it one minute, and start it the next, just by fiddling with the radio/alarm.
* A relay problem? Maybe the main relay? This doesnt explain why the solenoid engages -- the starter always has 12v so it should crank!
* The battery is stuffed? Doesnt explain why this doesnt happen more then once a week?
* Not enough current? I did hurt an earth while doing the clutch, but i repaired it with some eletrical tape (i played with this earth when it wasnt starting, no luck!) seems to hold well.
* Starter problem? Doesnt explain while it will start fine all week, then suddenly stop and start again in a very small window, without any kind of fiddling/hitting?

Basically im after thoughts, suggestions and tips? Anything i can test?

Thank guys!|

wynode
25-07-2004, 01:15 AM
The 'clicking' sound you get with the starter sounds like its not getting enough power for it to turn over. I would check to make sure you don't have a short somewhere that is depriving the starter of power. Failing that, have the starter motor checked out to make sure you haven't melted any wires inside it (which might result in the erratic behaviour).

Bubu
25-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Have you checked the voltage of the battery with a multimeter? I had the same problem when my car wouldn't start but had clicking noises, but all electrics seemed fine... my old battery had a reading of 12.2v and still it had a hard time starting... so i changed batteries and its been sweet since... the reading on the new battery was 12.6v...

maybe its the battery???

ECU-MAN
25-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Weq

to me it sounds like you have a current drain problem. how long was the spanner shorting for. eg less than 10 sec. I cant think what would of smoked up near your head light but have a look for anything that looks melted. since she starts ok with a charged battery, sounds like the starter is ok. what you should do is turn every thing off, disconnect your positive battery terminal, get a AMP meter and do a current dran test. you should have about 100 to 300 mA current draw. I recon you may have a amp or so if your battery is getting flat after half an hour. also clean your earths. undo them and clean the contact surface. main realy wouldnt cause the starter motor to not turn.

by shorting the starter the only things that would of got a thrashing would have been, the main power lead from your battery to the starter motor, your earth leads from the engine to the chassis, your battery and your underware. ( dont tell me you didnt crap your self, always makes me jump. )

check these thing thoroughly ( dont spend to much time on your underware ) make sure there ok.

Weq
25-07-2004, 05:53 PM
the short was a split second with very mild earthing via socket handle. I was very surpised to see the smoke also. Ive looked around the said area for melted wires, but nothing! I looked for any fuses or anything around, but nothing out of the ordanary. My battery earth/termial is in great condition, but i might re-do the earthing fromt he gearbox.

A few people said it was a current draw, and i will test this out, but its just wierd how the problem occours. IE it happened last night (1 week from the last time it happened) 2 times, but this morning and all day, she has started perfectly.

Anyways, i deicded to grab a new battery today so (i work at kmart, got it cheapy - exide evolution) and i will see if this fix's the problem. I am doubtful, but hopefull.. My last battery was a little trooper, never had any problems with it, blasted my stereo for hours on end without the engine on and she would always start first time, every time!

TODA AU
25-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Check spade connector under rubber boot to starter solinoid is secured correctly...

Weq
26-07-2004, 12:45 PM
yeh it is. was a bitch to ge on, but she is sitting happy now.