PDA

View Full Version : rims + insurance

Ragerunner
25-08-2007, 08:49 AM
hi guys, i was wondering if i change the stock rims and tyres do i have to notify my insurance company of the change? and if i do will i have to pay anything more as a result?

thanks

johnprocter
25-08-2007, 08:52 AM
i'm pretty sure you will have to tell them but iam not sure how much your insurance would go up i'm sure some of the other blokes here will know though..

traumatized
25-08-2007, 09:25 AM
generally you need to inform your insurance company of any changes made to your vehicle as it all affects the preimum and if you ever get into an accident they may vold it and not cover you.

most insurance companes if not all will determine whether your preimum will go out based on the price you paid for the wheels, they generally have a cut off limit where it won't affect your preimum this year but will be added to your preimum the next year (you may not notice it though because in normal cases your preimum drops each year)

eg. if you tell them you got your wheels for $1000 it may affect your preimum by $20 most insurnace companies won't ask you to pay that.

but if you say your wheels were $3000 it may add $200 to your preimum and they will definately ask you to pay them for that.

hope that helps.

EK4 Phil
25-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Best thing is to give them a call and ask them that's what I did a while ago.

They stated that any changes in the size of the rim ie 15 inch to 16inch would be a modification. and I was only allowed to have 1 mod. That was with AAMI. They didn't mention anything on additional cost but it was regarded as a mod.

Zilli
25-08-2007, 01:40 PM
there are two parts to the questions your asking, claims time and quote time

Quote time - Let them know, and they will cover your wheel to the full value you paid for them as part of your sum insured, and will charge your premium accordingly. Some insurers will have limits on what they call Modifications, which are generally things like exhausts and the like, and accessories which are like stereos

Claim Time - A claim can be denied or reduced on two factors.
1) Failure to disclose - So you have basically not told your insurer about your mods
2) Contributory - If the mods deem the car unroadworthy (ie chopped springs, semi slicks) and contributed to the accident.

Hope this clears things up