PDA

View Full Version : honda ek keys

alphabeatsco
25-07-2004, 12:35 AM
can someone please tell me...what happens if i only got one black key!????
how to replace another one just in case i lose this one...
my car is 2nd hand...98 model
so i never got a red key or a 2nd blk one.
any hints?

A'PEXi
25-07-2004, 12:53 AM
easy, just go to a key cutting shop and get one cut, you can get blank keys (mite even be able to get them at honda, not sure)

alan
25-07-2004, 01:40 AM
ek keys got immobiliser chip inside da moulded rubber...(de car came wif stock immobiliser)

Kit
25-07-2004, 01:49 AM
its a bit of a worry that you don't have the red key. are you able to chase up the previous owner for it?

you might wanna rid your car of anything that the previous owners can identify it with.

I was told by a dealer once that using the red key is the ONLY way to get keys cut for your car (i'm not sure if this is true or not).

might be best if you rang up a dealer and found out the correct answer from them.

MrPlow
25-07-2004, 02:00 PM
red key? iv never even heard about a red key? i brought my ek second hand also, now you got me worried...

nobbs
25-07-2004, 02:33 PM
ive got the red key for my car, the guy at the dealer where i bought my car gave me it with the log books, but i dont know exactly what its for....

does anyone know? i havent used it coz its in a sealed packet

Z
25-07-2004, 02:50 PM
You dont need the red key.

If your in melbourne, PM me and ill give you the address to a place that can sort it out for you.

ECU-MAN
25-07-2004, 02:59 PM
ive got the red key for my car, the guy at the dealer where i bought my car gave me it with the log books, but i dont know exactly what its for....

does anyone know? i havent used it coz its in a sealed packet

http://www.ozhonda.com/viewtopic.php?t=8326

read that thread, that will explain the red key.

if you call a dealer and say you got no red key and want a key cut, they will just say it will cost $$$. you can buy blank black keys from honda for about 40 bucks. then your dealer will get it cut and program it into your car but they need the red key to do that.

you can go to a lock smith and have your current black key copied, both the key and the RFIF. just remember that if you loose 1 black key you wont have the benifit of being able to have it removed from your imobliser system to prevent it from starting the car as its code has been copied for your cut key. but it does beating paying 300 bucks for a red key and imobiliser unit.

alphabeatsco
25-07-2004, 08:19 PM
is the red key used for replacing keys and the immobliser system?
how do i check if i got an immobliser?
i only got one key...shit..what can i do???

ECU-MAN
25-07-2004, 09:08 PM
if your civic was made after 1996 it will have an imobiliser, if it was made prior 2000 you should have a red key. and yes the red key is used to add and remove black keys.

forensics
25-07-2004, 10:26 PM
im screwed as well, i only have a black key, no red! got me scared now!

kimbi
26-07-2004, 05:09 PM
i have an ek and i have the red key. recently i got my mommy to enquire at honda about a replacement key and they were talking in the 100+ dollar mark

she went to Mister Minit (i think!!! i will find out for sure) and they quoted her $65with the immob chip and everything.. like it would look like the original key.

they don't need the red key for that. the red key to to reset everything (like if someone actually tried to steal your car and fkked around with the ignition)